He Got Chewed Out

I know I'm not saying anything everyone here doesn't already know, but just because we're in the world of aviation doesn't mean we're immune to the occasional jacka$$ at work. Happens at all jobs. You can argue with the guy, but it probably won't change him.

I know I'm not saying anything everyone here doesn't already know, but just because we're in the world of aviation doesn't mean we're immune to the occasional jacka$$ at work. Happens at all jobs. You can argue with the guy, but it probably won't change him.

True, and the more I think of it I highly doubt this story is true. I'm sure most all Captains know that a lot of corporate outfits wear bars and pay full fare for their seats. I dont think he would jump down the guys thraot without some investigating first.

A somewhat unrelated story from a month ago or so: A pilot comes up to the flight deck to introduce himself to me, and tells me that the gate agent gave him a boarding pass and said he didn't need a CA's signature. We (me, jumpseater, and FO) were all perplexed by this, but I assured him that he did need my signature, and thanked him for checking in regardless of what the agent told him.

I blame the NWA gate agents for this since I see it ALL the time. It's kinda weird with us since a lot of guys will book their seat via the non-rev line if there's room in the back. I got no problem with that, and if they're non-revving, I don't mind if they take a seat in the back without checking in. I don't make rampers, gate agents or any other non-revs check in with me when they board, so why make the pilots non-revving do it? Same goes for DHs since I know all they really want to do is grab a seat and sleep. I know that's how I am when I'm DHing.

But I've seen a LOT of guys lately that are off line pilots jumpseating with boarding passes in hand, and I haven't signed anything. I caught one gate agent last month doing it. When I asked exactly who was signing the line that said "Captain's signature" she didn't really have a good answer for me.

True, and the more I think of it I highly doubt this story is true. I'm sure most all Captains know that a lot of corporate outfits wear bars and pay full fare for their seats. I dont think he would jump down the guys thraot without some investigating first.

I'm sure this story is true, perhaps not word for word, but for sure the situation has happened. There are tons of idiots and assbags in command of airliners out there.

As hard as it may be to believe, lots of pilots outside of the airlines are required to wear pilot uniforms when they perform their jobs (usually charter and fractional, but some corporate too). These pilots are often repositioned using the airlines, and are usually flying on expensive full fare tickets (usually purchased a day or two in advance). They don't need to explain their actions every time they fly on an airline.

I'd be pretty pissed off if you got in my face about it while I was minding my own business, doing my best to forget that I'm stuck in the back of an airline just so that I could get to work or go home. If you were pleasant about it, no problem. But demanding? Your boss would probably be getting a call.

Another thing too....Part 91 pilots aren't even eligible for the jumpseat, so they may or may not even know what "jumpseat etiquette" is any more than the investment banker sitting in 2B does. So if a full-fare ticket was the basis of my travel and a captain decided to treat a customer that way, I'd be a little pissed too.

"He said his friend is usually pretty honest but at times has gone on about something that never happened."

Some people tell lies. If it has happened before, he is the most suspect.
<O:p</O:p
icon6.gif

Back