Hawker 900/800/850XP questions.

Crockrocket94

People of the Hawker world. Im heading to 800XP initial on Monday and I had a few questions pertaining to the ol Hawk.

I know a few of you currently fly it, and any insight is appreciated. I am coming from a CE500/560XL/650 background so some of the systems are a bit foreign to me as of right now. I am used to the TFE 731s so those systems are familiar, but many of the Hawker specific things still have me out of my element.

Fuel burns, what can you expect?

I heard it doesnt like to accelerate up to speed at Max weight in the 390 to 410 Fl range.

Fuel panel, so you have to turn it on and test it and all that to refuel? Obviously many of my questions will be answered in the following weeks, but any operational stuff would and will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Crockrocket, the Hawkers aren't particularly demanding airplanes to fly... so hopefully I'll be the first to say CONGRATULATIONS OLD MAN! As far as basic systems go, they're pretty straight forward and haven't been through half a million redesigns since the origional HS125, so you don't have as many differences from one airframe to the next depending on serial number as other types.

The fuel panel, the test is to make sure the system is working properly before using single point refueling, before using it you want to check that it will be able to detect an overpressure situation...ie vents don't open, that the fuel valves to each tank will close when they are full, and that the fuel valves will close when the left or right surge tank float sensor rises to a certain level.

You can roughly figure 2000-2100 lbs per hour the first hour, 1500-1600 the second hour, 1400-1500 the third ( these are "ish" numbers ) and so on, etc.

You can figure about 70 PPH for the APU ( estimate )

Most pilots use 2000 lbs as their planned minimum landing fuel

As far as weight and altitude you have to be very mindful of max cruising weights for temps. aloft. The XP series does have an almost halfway decent power to weight ratio, but it also has a fat little face and wing. sometimes in the summer you just end up step climbing as you burn off fuel.

A couple of Hawker don'ts...
Don't run out of TKS fluid, and make sure you keep the system primed up!
Don't go under the leading edge of the wings to put the pin in, or pull the pin for the main gear ( eventually you will get slimed by TKS fluid if you do )
Don't drain the sink while the lav is being serviced, line guys hate that!
Don't loiter around under the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer ( TKS fluid again )
Don't expect it to be a really fun airplane to fly, it's just kind of " blah" but it get's the job done.

One more thing, there isn't much baggage space, so have fun with that.
:p

Thanks Beep, ill keep in mind the TKS fluid. I still wonder why they went that route.

How does it do performance wise getting up to altitude? Can you go straight to 410 at ISA+ a few at Max TO weight?

Ah cool. I'm coming from something totally different as well. I went through systems last week and everything is pretty straight forward. I am curious to see how the rudder bias does though with an engine failure!

Yeah, Alex, Paul and them are over there. Hopefully one of those monkeys will be around.

Vheissu, Ive flown planes with rudder bias before, see 560XL, C650, and it does a good job. But i bet you still need to put a decent amount of input in. The 650 was the best ive experienced so far. The excel, not so much.

Rudder bias does its job well. You may need to add a bit more pressure to help it out, but you can damn near keep your feet flat on the floor. Pretty impressive.

Nothing happens fast on the plane, so don't be too rushed to do something during the emergencies. Take your time and think it through.

I'll also add that if you're refueling with the apu running be sure to keep an eye on your wing fuel balance if you have the left fuel pump on.

..... Or so I've heard

:)

Timing how quickly you can flip all the annunciator light covers open on a long flight from LGB-ORF is a great way to pass the time, right mikecweb. You can also dim all of the screens and press the warning lights test button to get the master warning flashing and then tell the boss that you will have to fly VFR the rest of the way across the country until finding the coast and figuring out where you are.

Speaking of the master warning, it's called MWS now. It used to be called CAGS
Crew
Attention
Getting
System

Not kidding.

Back