Hawaiian Airlines

scramjet

Anybody have any experience with Hawaiian? I was invited to schedule a group interview session... Any gouges, recommendations, etc? Thanks!

I elected not to go. The costs seemed to outweigh the benefits. I suppose I should have just tried the interview to try it as I could have gotten there for free, but the idea of having to pay my own way through the training (accommodations, meals, etc) for a job that the job posting indicated was not even guaranteed sort of discouraged me. There's better deals on the mainland. Even meager ramp jobs that require out of town training will pay for accommodations and the like during training. Once you got past the training process, Hawaiian Airlines seems like it would be a great place to work, but the initial costs far outweighed the benefits to me...

Plus I also suspect that Hawaiian sent a group interview invitation to pretty much everyone who applied and met certain basic qualifications. I mean, they're a well established carrier known for their service and quality and as such very selective about who they hire...and yet airlines like Commutair and Republic won't even give my resume/application the time of day.

They probably did send a group interview to everyone. I had a co-worker who got an interview with them, they flew her out there, then she wasn't 21 so they sent her right home. Really? They don't review that BEFORE they fly her out there? Sketchy.

hey guys, first off i do realize this post is over a year old, but i figure leave some info anyways since hawaiian air's hiring process hasen't really changed much over the past few years.

hawaiian normally does a "cattle call" for FA's. they basically issuse a 1st interveiw letter to everyone that has the BASIC requirements.
on avg 1,500 - 1,800 people will show up for the 1st interview (keep in mind most FA classes are between 30-40 new hires), so feel free to do the math on that, to find out your chances of getting hired.
interviews are done group style between 10-20 per group, the interview normally last 50 mins.

you will be notified via email if your selected for a 2nd interview. normally the wait time is between 1-3 days.
here is where it gets tricky, or atleast for anyone NOT currentlly living on oahu. if you're seleced for a 2nd interview the company can give you as little as 24hrs notice to show up for your 2nd interview or as long as 3 days, so if you're comming from the mainland PLAN TO STAY a few extra days after your 1st schduled interview.

if you pass the 2nd interview, you will again be notified of a 3rd interview via email. the time between the 2nd and 3rd interview is normally a few days. if selected for a 3rd interview the process is the same as it was for the 2nd interview, meaning they can give you as little as 24 hours to be at the interview, BUT most times they give a few days notice.

if you pass the 3rd interview, you're basically hired on the conditon you can pass the drugs test, security clearance, etc.

they'll send you a email saying when you need to report to class. typically it's approx a month AFTER interviews, so you mainland people have some time to make a move. *you must live on the island of oahu during class*

from what i seen, the avg time to complete the whole interview process from start to finish is between 10-20 days.

if hired, please remember that the training is 6 weeks long and is UNPAID! ..i say again it's UNPAID... ALL moving/living expensives needs to be covered by YOU. the company DOES NOT pay anything. this also applies for the interview process.. ALL expensives for interviews needs to be covered by YOU.

FA's are based at HNL and LAX, but LAX rarely has openings, so plan on moving to oahu! all work schdules are senority based and change monthly.
all new hires will be put on stand by & airport reserve.

hawaiian is REALLY picky with tattoos. tattoos must NOT be visiable below the sleeve line or above the neck. they kicked a few people out of the training class after discovering they had really small tattoos either behind their neck or on their foot. so if you have a tattoo in the "illegal area", save yourself the money and find another airline to work for.

i hope i was able to shed some light on the process.. good luck to everyone.

That is a really great description of the hiring process, thank you!

Thanks..

I also forgot to mention that new hires are only guaranteed 80 hours a month. The avg time it takes for a person to hold a bidded route is 5 years.
Im not sure how other airlines do it, but at hawaiian the FA's are requred to work every aircraft in the fleet (717,767,A330) and every route. There is no such thing as "you'll only work a certain aircraft or route". Rookie FA's could work an interisland route today and tomorow work a international route.

great to have found this thread! I've been considering a career switch for some time now. I'd take a cut in pay from my current job (almost half) but I've lived in Hawaii for seven years and have some options to split rent with friends . Been reading a lot about the downsides and perks of the job itself. Lol I can make a list of such about my current job as well. Good pay but high stress.

The only thing I'm lacking in is a second language, unless hawaiian pidgin is considered :)

Yes, the cost of living in Hawaii is expensive. Rent and food especially. But I'm intrigued by only having to work 75/80 hours a month since I run a pt business and can easily fill in the income. If anyone has questions about living in Hawaii feel free to ask me.

Anyone know when they might be recruiting again? And if upon hire we would most likely be based in Honolulu?
mahalo

Be aware that "working" 75-80 hours a month does NOT equal two "standard" workweeks. To be paid for 75-80 hours you'll actually be on duty for almost double that. The "hours" you see as 75-80 hours a month are only the hours that the airplane door is closed. You're required to show up an hour before departure time, to sign in, get to the plane, do your preflight checks, board... you're not getting paid for that time. Once you're at the destination airport, again the clock stops when the door opens, and you're not getting paid again while the pax deplane, you possibly (depending on airline policy/procedure) clean up the cabin, and board the next set of pax. Not paid til the door closes again. So there's a LOT of time you're at the airport, on duty, WORKING, but not getting paid, those hours do not count towards the 75-80 hours.

Generally speaking, flying 80 hours is a full month. That's working full-time. Doing maybe 4-days on, 2 or 3 days off between trips (roughly speaking).

great to have found this thread! I've been considering a career switch for some time now. I'd take a cut in pay from my current job (almost half) but I've lived in Hawaii for seven years and have some options to split rent with friends . Been reading a lot about the downsides and perks of the job itself. Lol I can make a list of such about my current job as well. Good pay but high stress.

The only thing I'm lacking in is a second language, unless hawaiian pidgin is considered :)

Yes, the cost of living in Hawaii is expensive. Rent and food especially. But I'm intrigued by only having to work 75/80 hours a month since I run a pt business and can easily fill in the income. If anyone has questions about living in Hawaii feel free to ask me.

Anyone know when they might be recruiting again? And if upon hire we would most likely be based in Honolulu?
mahalo

You would be based in oahu, but like MQAAord posted above. The " 80 hours" is not the time you'll invest in the company. Thats just the time that will show up on your check. FA have ALOT of downtime since they'll be on-call, airport reserve and layovers. Not to mention if a plane breaks you might be stuck at the airport (outside of oahu). Running a pt business might be hard, as rookie FA's do NOT pick schdules. Schdules are senority based so as a rookie your schdule WILL BE crazy! On avg it takes approx 5 years to hold a bid. If you can get pass the first few years than you should be good.
Hawaiian hires both english and 2nd language. But in most cases a 2nd language will help a lot!
If your looking for flight benifits, you're prolly better off with a station postion. They have set schdules and if a flight is broken/delayed you wont get stuck. Plus it would be easier to run a pt business.

thanks for the post, I'm making myself wait at least until holidays are over before changing to a possible FA career. All info greatly appreciated. The perk about my business is it's online so if I can access wifi in an airport I can check in with an assistant who will be handling the bulk of orders..the biz if flexible meaning I can generate as much or little as wanted.

yeah standby/on call would kinda suck..also getting stuck somewhere. I've been reading a LOT of 'daily life of FA' blog posts and such. At this point I can be very flexible with time and so realize there are a lot of unpaid hours. Luckily I have no debt and my expenses of living are minimal . I really truly love an inconsistent schedule and am great about going with the flow :)

Oh just an FYI I saw in the paper yesterday a blurb about Southwest may be flying to Hawaii but not till 2014 .

My Spanish skills are enough to keep me fed in Spanish speaking countries but do plan on becoming fluent. Wish I had the patience to learn Japanese I know that would be a huge asset

have a great day!

Back