Guess what's on Mythbusters?

It wouldn't be "Airplane on a conveyor belt" would it". Sorry, i peeked :D The full scale piloted part is coming soon.:panic:

But, but, but....the experiment was wrong! The plane should stay on the ground, it's just logic.:sarcasm:

ok, now I apologize in advance if I'm wrong but, if the conveyor belt is going the same speed as the plane taking off, then it will be staying in the same place, then there shouldnt be any air going over the wings to create lift..right? I'm still a student pilot aka noob.

ok, now I apologize in advance if I'm wrong but, if the conveyor belt is going the same speed as the plane taking off, then it will be staying in the same place, then there shouldnt be any air going over the wings to create lift..right? I'm still a student pilot aka noob.

[yt]qzjbV-yTomY[/yt]

Surely you can't be serious.

Just watch the show.

I stole this from someone here, sorry I cannot remember whom.

helicoptor-will-it-take-off.jpg

I stole this from someone here, sorry I cannot remember whom.

helicoptor-will-it-take-off.jpg
That might not. If the rotor rpm was like 2400RPM and the turntable as at the same rpm in the opposite direction, then the helicopter would just spin around and the rotors would sit there. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but its a fundamentally different problem than the converyer BS.

ok, now I apologize in advance if I'm wrong but, if the conveyor belt is going the same speed as the plane taking off, then it will be staying in the same place, then there shouldn't be any air going over the wings to create lift..right? I'm still a student pilot aka noob.
Gotta go with the noob here.....I stayed out of the debate last time. The show was just too ridiculous. The "ultralight" they used as an airplane takes off at slow speed and did not remain stationary as required. It got dragged by the "conveyor"...which produced airflow...which permitted it to fly.

If you hold a kite while jogging on a treadmill......will it fly? Of course not. Drag the treadmill behind a truck, while jogging with the kite...yes it will fly.

All they did was drag the ultralite behind the truck on a rug. How about putting a plane on one of the automotive machines that spins the wheels while the vehicle is actually stationary and see if it will fly....guarateed not.

Well I'm no dummy (at least I don't think so) but I think that dismissing that it won't take off isn't as easy as you might think. Besides, the Mythbusters is just a piece of entertainment. After all, they started one show with the "myth" that another airplane cut through the skin of a neighbor airplane in a hanger by accident....

Lets put it this way. Having an aircraft with its parking brake on and on a conveyer should essentially do the same thing. The aircraft will be stationary in point of place. Now, if you add full takeoff power, with the parking brake on, the airplane might, if the brakes are poor, being moving forward quite slowly, due to the airflow over the propeller. Overall, it will remain stationary. If an aircraft is stationary, even WITH full power, is there enough airflow over the wings for it to takeoff?

Therfore, if an ideal treadmill were used, ie it could speed up at the same rate as the thrust increased by the engine, the wheels would be spinning at the treadmill's speed, no faster. If there is no forward motion, can the wings generate lift?

Gotta go with the noob here.....I stayed out of the debate last time. The show was just too ridiculous. The "ultralight" they used as an airplane takes off at slow speed and did not remain stationary as required. It got dragged by the "conveyor"...which produced airflow...which permitted it to fly.

If you hold a kite while jogging on a treadmill......will it fly? Of course not. Drag the treadmill behind a truck, while jogging with the kite...yes it will fly.

All they did was drag the ultralite behind the truck on a rug. How about putting a plane on one of the automotive machines that spins the wheels while the vehicle is actually stationary and see if it will fly....guarateed not.

SteveC, request permission to borrow Picard face-palm picture.

did not remain stationary as required.
cencal83406 said:
The aircraft will be stationary
The problem does not state that the aircraft remains stationary. That's what the problem tricks you into assuming. An airplane has free-spinning wheels, so the conveyor is powerless to hold it in place. If your response to that is, "Well, if we don't assume that the aircraft remains stationary, then what's the point of the problem?" then our reply is: "There isn't one." :)

Also, keep in mind that no one is saying the conveyor will somehow allow the aircraft to lift off vertically or take off in a shorter distance. Picture a runway-length conveyor.

I think those cover the hang ups that most of the "noflys" had during the last thread.

Back