Guess what's on Mythbusters?

It's kind of funny that I got warned fairly quick when I took a perceived stab at someone, but someone calls you an idiot indirectly and gets off with nothing.

And instead of merely stating one is an idiot, provide facts to help shape a better understanding of the question:

The original question can be found on the physorg forums.
This myth, and the debate it has caused, has highlighted multiple failures, both in communication and in understanding.
One popular modification to the question states that the speed of the belt must match the speed of the plane's wheels. In this scenario, the speed of the plane's wheels is being measured in the belt's frame of reference, while the speed of the belt is being measured in the ground's frame of reference. This modification has only led to confusion, as it disallows the plane from moving in the ground's frame of reference. Since there is no wind in this situation, the ground frame of reference is the same as the airspace frame of reference, and so the plane is disallowed from gaining airspeed. There is no debate that with this restriction in place, the plane will never generate lift, and will never take off. This was a failure in communication.
A common failure in understanding is that, when measuring and comparing speeds, all measurements must be made using the same frame of reference. Measuring the speed of the wheels in the belt's frame of reference, but the speed of the belt in the ground's frame of reference, violates this rule. A common frame of reference, in this case the ground around/under the belt, or the airspace around the plane and belt, must be established. Once this is accepted, it should become clear that unless the plane moves forwards, the belt will never move backwards. If the plane is not moving forwards, there is no speed to be measured and matched.
Another common failure in understanding occurs when people attempt to use the analogy of a car or a human on a treadmill. This is an incorrect analogy for two reasons.
  • The thrust that moves a car or a human runner is derived through contact with the ground. If the ground is moving away from that thrust, the thrust is negated and no forward velocity is obtained. An airplane, however, derives thrust from the air. The treadmill moving does not negate that thrust. A small amount of additional friction and rolling resistance is generated by the wheels spinning twice as fast, but it is important to remember that wheels are designed to minimize friction - to minimize the transmission of force from one surface to another. If the friction and rolling resistance in the wheels were great enough to be significant, you would see planes at airports quickly coming to a stop once their engines are throttled down while taxiing. With only an insignificant amount of friction (much lower than the thrust of the plane's engine(s)) connecting the plane to the belt, it is impossible for the belt to counteract the plane's thrust.
  • It is also important to note that the treadmill is not actually matching the speed of the car or the runner. Remember that all measurements must be taken from a common frame of reference - the car or runner is held stationary relative to the air/ground, and the belt is moving relative to the air/ground. In other words, the belt prevents the forward motion of the car or runner relative to the ground.
Once these failures in communication and understanding are resolved, it should become clear that the question is actually asking "Can a conveyor belt prevent an airplane from moving?" To answer this question, it is necessary to analyze the forces involved.
  • Thrust: The airplane generates thrust by accelerating a mass of air backwards. Newton's Third Law of Motion ("For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction") dictates that the engine, and thus the airplane, is thus accelerated forwards.
  • Drag: The two main sources of drag are the air and the friction with the runway.
    • Since the plane is starting from a standstill, and it is assumed that there is no wind, the drag due to air is 0 until the plane starts moving.
    • Friction with the runway is mitigated by the wheels of the airplane. From a standstill, the plane must overcome the rolling resistance of the rubber over the concrete or asphalt and the rolling friction of steel over steel in the bearing of the wheel. Once the initial rolling resistance is overcome, The amount of friction in these components drops significantly, and increases slightly as the wheel accelerates.
If Thrust is greater than Drag, the airplane will accelerate forwards and gain airspeed. If Drag is equal to or greater than Thrust, the plane will decelerate (if it was moving) or remain stationary.
In order for the conveyor belt to prevent the plane from accelerating, it must apply Drag equal to or greater than the Thrust generated by the plane's engines. Since the only point of contact between the conveyor and the plane is the plane's wheels, this force must be applied through the wheels. However, since the wheels of the plane are specifically designed to minimize the application of force from the ground to the plane, the conveyor is unable to apply enough Drag to prevent the plane from accelerating, and so the plane accelerates forward, gains airspeed, and takes off.
The Mythbusters succesfully demonstrated that it is impossible for the conveyor to apply enough Drag to prevent the airplane from accelerating.
Summary: The myth does not ask "If an airplane is prevented from moving, can it take off?" - it asks "Can a conveyor prevent an airplane from moving?" The Mythbusters demonstrated that a conveyor cannot prevent an airplane from moving.

The answer to the question is easy - if you pose it right. I will bet that some people who dismiss those who question the airplanes ability to take of as idiots didn't fully understand the question themselves.

Fact: If the airplane is allowed FORWARD movement, ie the thrust created by the propeller allows the airplane to begin moving, it can take off. The wheel spin will have no effect at this point.... the wheels will obviously have a higher groundspeed however since there is airflow the aircraft can take off.

Fact: If an aircraft is forced to remain stationary with full thrust, it cannot take off. In that vein, though the wheels are free-spinning, if the aircraft cannot begin to move forward, it will not take off.

Easy.

Man, it's a good thing we don't have those killer JAR tests over here with their insanely difficult "basic physics" questions.

It's kind of funny that I got warned fairly quick when I took a perceived stab at someone, but someone calls you an idiot indirectly and gets off with nothing.

Point of clarification - you would have no way to know if he got a warning or an infraction.

The motivational poster version is my favorite. :D

normal_picard-no-facepalm.jpg

Beautiful. Thank you!

The airplane takes off. It just does, okay?

Anybody wanna take a guess on who will ultimately be the one to lock this thread............ :laff: (Not for a while, though ;) I promise )

Okay, folks, let me make this real simple for you.

What makes an airplane move?

The wheels?

NO!

They are just along for the ride.

The propeller or the thrust coming from the back of the engine makes the airplane move.

The wheels have nothing to do with it.

If you can't this simple fact through your head, then you won't be able to understand why people are so baffled as to why it's not clear.

The plane moves because of the prop or the exhaust coming from the back of the engines, not because of the wheels.

Okay, folks, let me make this real simple for you.

It's not really all that "simple" because it's a silly scenario that's nearly impossible to replicate in real life.

Want to know what would happen if you put a plane on a treadmill whose speed was exactly matching the increasing tire speed as thrust was applied? The plane wouldn't go anywhere until either the treadmill or tires broke from friction, wear, etc.

If you can get the tire speed going faster than the treadmill speed, the plane would fly off the end of the treadmill and crash into something--unless, of course, you had a treadmill long enough for the airplane to get off the ground. Then it would take off...but, depending on the "speed" of the invented treadmill, the tire may get going fast enough to exceed the wheel speed limit on it (yes, a lot of transport category aircraft have max tire speeds).

It's not a "simple" question. It's a neverending abyss of considerations and hypotheticals on both sides. There's really only two certainties:

1) Wheel speed on an airplane has nothing (well, actually very little) to do with the movement of the aircraft;
2) Unless the wheel speed is *faster* than the treadmill, the airplane is not going to move. (right?)

I'm so glad we got another "plane on a treadmill"-type thread. Unfortunately it's not LIKE "plane on a treadmill". It IS "plane on a treadmill". There's nothing better than a good aviation argument. I just wish it was a different topic this time. This one is a little tired, isn't it?

The plane takes off. It always will.

It's real simple because the wheels don't matter.

Period.

How does the airplane move through the air once it gets off the ground?

The wheels don't matter there, right? In fact, in many airplanes, the wheels come up and go into the belly of the plane.

Yet the plane still moves through the air.

Why?

Because the prop or exhaust makes it move. Not the wheels.

Anyway, any more of this and this will be my response.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Oh, and mods, I'm sorry. I really didn't think anyone would debate this.

Amber, close it now. It was supposed to be funny but it's not.

Dear People Who Think The Plane Won't Take Off:

THE WHEELS. FRICTION. THEY...IT. LOOK. THE FRICTION FROM THE BEARINGS OF THE WHEELS WILL BE THE ONLY. SIGH. IT'S NOT GOING TO. IT'S LIKE IF. Nevermind. You know what? I'm just going to kill you all and everyone you've ever met. In your sleep. Tonight. :D

[yt]qzjbV-yTomY[/yt]

im just going to quote myself here because this thread needs way more facepalm. click play for facepalm.

wheelspeed of the airplane is irrelevant, as the airplane is not propelled by its wheels. END. FINISH. OVER.

wheelspeed of the airplane is irrelevant, as the airplane is not propelled by its wheels. END. FINISH. OVER.

Nobody is arguing that an airplane is actually propelled by it's wheels.

Wheelspeed is relevant, though, because the wheels are what make contact with the ground (treadmill) and there is a limitation on how fast they can spin (max tire speed) before they fail.

If you had treadmill (long enough for a takeoff roll) powered to run at Vr, then would you argue that the wheels are going to be going at twice rotation speed when it lifts off? The airplane I fly has a max tire speed *way* less than 2 x Vr, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take off (even if it had enough runway) because the tires would burn off. With a lighter airplane with much lower Vr, it's no longer an issue.

Of course the airplane will take off if you set it up properly--long enough treadmill for takeoff roll, treadmill not spinning fast enough to blow tires--but there's more complications than you guys are thinking about.

Next up on MythBusters, does a jet engine provided thrust by sucking or blowing its way across the skies? Discuss.......:crazy::panic::p :D :D :D :p :panic: :crazy:

Nobody is arguing that an airplane is actually propelled by it's wheels.

Wheelspeed is relevant, though, because the wheels are what make contact with the ground (treadmill) and there is a limitation on how fast they can spin (max tire speed) before they fail.

If you had treadmill (long enough for a takeoff roll) powered to run at Vr, then would you argue that the wheels are going to be going at twice rotation speed when it lifts off? The airplane I fly has a max tire speed *way* less than 2 x Vr, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take off (even if it had enough runway) because the tires would burn off. With a lighter airplane with much lower Vr, it's no longer an issue.

Of course the airplane will take off if you set it up properly--long enough treadmill for takeoff roll, treadmill not spinning fast enough to blow tires--but there's more complications than you guys are thinking about.

If you want to introduce Vtire into the debate, then that's reasonable. Unfortunately, most people who argue about this aren't thinking about tire limitations. They're thinking about the treadmill actually holding the airplane from moving forward.

I <3 this debate.

If someone can explain to me the force that the treadmill uses to counter the thrust the engines create from pushing off the air, I'll admit it cant take off.

ok fine. if youre saying the wheels might explode, yes, they might. however that is NOT a stipulation of the normal argument, and is not relevant to the discussion.

For some ungodly reason (wife and kid are napping), I just read this. Really, I missed Adam and Jamie's layout, so I'm sure there's some crucial info I'm missing, and I hope it's really something earth-shattering, or is so purely academic that this debate is taking place inside the academic vaccuum.

My head exploded. Does that qualify for worker's comp?

That is all.

Back