Guess what's on Mythbusters?

;) light does have mass by definition. Light bends when passing near stars. Does light really have mass? There is no right or wrong answer to this question.

Well, duh. We all know the propeller pulls its way through the air. But if the aircraft is forced to remain stationary it can't. A perfect opposing force to the only thing allowing the aircraft to have a minimum coefficient of friction (the tires), would in effect create enough friction for the aircraft not to overcome it. The aircraft HAS to roll in order for it to gain lift. All you all acting like you're the s* haven't thought deeply enough about it. It was a poorly designed experiment because while you all think it's "duh" in the other direction, if the variables were all taken care of, you could field a completely different result.

I was just trying to explain it to you like I would a child. Perhaps I didn't dumb it down enough for you! Now try to follow along.

Let's say you have a treadmill. Sitting on this treadmill you have a screw attached to a set of wheels. (I don't know how, use your imagination) Hanging above the treadmill is a block of cheese or anything with the same density as a block of cheese. Now turn the treadmill on (in your head, beavis) and start drilling the screw through said cheese. Does the screw move even though the weight is on the wheels? Please don't say no.

Take two aspirin and think about it.

Dear Dough,

I will never ever post this again. It was supposed to be funny.

But it's not.

Ain't our public education just grand? :)

I should have learned Chinese when I was a kid. It's going to be very useful when we become their economic bitches.

If we aren't already. They own something like $500 billion of our national debt.

Absolutely outstanding job on the rehash of this thread! I can always count on someone to make me laugh after coming home from the hospital. :p

Well aight works for me. If the airplane can get itself moving then there's no question. I guess i just got stuck with my analogy of parking brake. As the "pwning" person pointed out (and how does that make you seem any smarter by using that terminology by the way? personally, I dislike "1337 speak"), if the parking brake is set and there's a headwind that matches at least the rotation speed of the aircraft, it can take off. Sorry for being so retarded. Thanks for pointing out. Just for the record, I never said that the wheels are what propel the aircraft. I think I thought too hard about it since I saw the show and I thought the pilot on it was kinda dumb too. Add me to that list. Hopefully you all won't hold this against me but it certainly seems that way, what with all the :banghead:s and all...

I loved physics in high school and college, btw, and didn't do half bad in class. Anyways, enough of defending myself, I'm simply retarded. That's why I fly airplanes woo-hoo!:buck:

Well aight works for me. If the airplane can get itself moving then there's no question. I guess i just got stuck with my analogy of parking brake. As the "pwning" person pointed out (and how does that make you seem any smarter by using that terminology by the way? personally, I dislike "1337 speak"), if the parking brake is set and there's a headwind that matches at least the rotation speed of the aircraft, it can take off. Sorry for being so retarded. Thanks for pointing out. Just for the record, I never said that the wheels are what propel the aircraft. I think I thought too hard about it since I saw the show and I thought the pilot on it was kinda dumb too. Add me to that list. Hopefully you all won't hold this against me but it certainly seems that way, what with all the :banghead:s and all...

I loved physics in high school and college, btw, and didn't do half bad in class. Anyways, enough of defending myself, I'm simply retarded. That's why I fly airplanes woo-hoo!:buck:

Sorry if you took it the wrong way, i was by no means trying to 'hurt' anyone with my comments, i just added that last part cause you thought that we thought we were the 's*':panic::laff:

This is the reason for a forum right? to learn from each other?:buck:

Sorry if you took it the wrong way, i was by no means trying to 'hurt' anyone with my comments, i just added that last part cause you thought that we thought we were the 's*':panic::laff:

This is the reason for a forum right? to learn from each other?:buck:

Since when does :banghead: teach anyone anything? I mean, honestly. I know you aren't guilty of it, but we even got a "publik skool" comment from someone. I haven't learned anything except that I'm apparantly a tard. Oh well.

Since when does :banghead: teach anyone anything? I mean, honestly. I know you aren't guilty of it, but we even got a "publik skool" comment from someone. I haven't learned anything except that I'm apparantly a tard. Oh well.

I think this particular subject is just a bit aggravating to us, and that's why the :banghead: smiley was used so much here. Try not to take it too hard, there have been like 2 or 3 other massively long threads about this.

We don't think you're a tard. We promise. :)

well you could have learned something about relativity and physics, had you read the link i posted :-D

say your in a float plane and the river is flowing at 60 knots and your take off is 60kts will the plane take off going up river?

OooH OH...I have a float plane rating, I can answer that one... No! ...wait, are the wheels up or down? Any cheese with a screw stuck in it resting on the wheel?

And even if we did you would have nothing against him.:buck:

That's right! Because I have nothing against retards! :laff:

(I'm not making fun of retards, it's joke about a picture and Darren's signature's creation.)

This topic is as bad as evolution. The theory has been tested and proved. The evidence is clear. yet, people still refuse to accept it as reality. They argue as if the rules of physics will change. The plane WILL take off.

Think about it in reverse. If a plane was coming in to land, doing 100kts and there was a treadmill doing 100kts the opposite direction, would the plane simply land and stop instantly? NO In fact, the stopping distance would not be shortened by a significant amount. The wheels would simply spin at 200kts upon touch down.

Or, put on some roller blades. Stand on a treadmill. Anchor a rope to the wall in front of you. Put tread mill on high speed. Pull on rope. The options are the wall comes to you or you move forward over the treadmill. If you think the plane will not take off, then you must also think that the wall will come to you.

Back