Guess what....pilot shortage is looming

EAA - costs the same as AOPA. Magazine features neater airplanes. Great website with good articles. Still helping GA.

I think there will be a bit of a pilot shortage in 6 to 8 years. Not any sooner.

By then I'm sure the age 65 rule will change to 80 making that shortage yet another surplus.

What I gathered from this article is the speculation that there MIGHT be a pilot shortage in the near future. There IS however, according to the article, a shortage of cash available to finance flight training, this much we know is true.

Yes, there will be a pilot shortage in the future. Just as there was one just a few years ago- it was getting so bad some flight schools had to close due to a shortage of instructors. The aviation industry is very cycical and the age 65 rule definately put a damper on hiring... but soon pilots will have to retire, pilots will be recalled, some will decide not to come back, other pilots will have dropped out of the job pool. Regionals will then have to hire as their pilots move to majors, flight schools will suddenly see their instructors taking off for better paying jobs as other options open up. This is nothing new. I remember talking to one pilot hired in the early 70's at a major airline who was told 2 years to captain. 10 years later he finally got off the panel. I was told when hired 8 years to captain... it happened in 1 1/2. For those who don't think things will change you just have not been around long enough.
So again, there will at some point in the future be a pilot shortage. If you would like to know the exact date mail me the title for a Lexus RX 450h AWD with Voice-activated HDD Navigation System, XM Navtraffic, Rear Seat Entertainment system, Premium Package, Pre-Collision System,
Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, Heads-up Display, Intuitive Parking Assist, Mark Levinson 15-speaker 330-watts, all channels driven Premium Surround Sound Audio System and I will exclusively reveal the exact date only to you.

Serfs don't fly. Take a realistic look at the future and invest in subsistence agriculture skills and firearms. I'm stoked. Some nerds always wanted to be pilots. I always wanted to be a Warlord. 'bathe her and bring her to me'.

If you would like to know the exact date mail me the title for a Lexus RX 450h AWD with Voice-activated HDD Navigation System, XM Navtraffic, Rear Seat Entertainment system, Premium Package, Pre-Collision System,
Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, Heads-up Display, Intuitive Parking Assist, Mark Levinson 15-speaker 330-watts, all channels driven Premium Surround Sound Audio System and I will exclusively reveal the exact date only to you.

What color?? I might have the hook up :laff:

I wouldn't discount the reality of a pilot shortage, but I don't think it will be like it has been before with employers desperately lining up to hire straight out of the pilot mills. Hopefully the focus will be on more well rounded applicants.

I don't want to piss off the "THERE IS NO PILOT SHORTAGE AND NEVER WILL BE!" folks, but I do believe there will be one, for whatever my .02 cents is worth (About .01 cent I believe). At least, a shortage of qualified pilots, more so now with a 1500 hour requirement.

I also believe the regionals that hired last may well be the first to hire again, if they learned anything from the bottom of the barrel they had to pick from last time.

Everyone says there are alot of people on the street. Isn't there less than 2001-2002? How fast did they go through those people on the street? In 2004, they were hiring 1500 hour pilots. By 2006, 750 Hour pilots. By 2007, well then it just got dumb. Same thing seems to be happening again. Flight schools are slow, crawling if you compare to just a few years ago. There is a great disparity in numbers between the 1200-1500 hour ranks and the 250-1200. If there is enough hiring to burn up the furloughs and higher time CFIs, and demand is still there, there will be some waiting for folks to get to that 1500 hours.

Again, who knows what will really happen. I can think of a number of things that would cause my Nostradomic prophecies to be untrue. There are probably a 100 more that I cannot think of. I'll stay optimisitc though.

How the h*ll is there a shortage when there are thousands of pilots out of work and airlines are still furloughing? I find it incredibly hard to believe this mess when it's always reps from "major flight schools" who discuss the "shortage." I'm an AGI/IGI/CFI/CFII/MEI with nearly 500 hrs TT and I've not been able to find an instructing job at all in NC, SC, GA, or FL. I for one am tired of hearing about this "shortage." It makes it seem like there won't be enough pilots around when there are thousands of instructors salivating at the mouth for a chance to fly right seat for a regional airline. These flight schools just want to make it seem like the airlines won't be able to find enough pilots so they can increase their school enrollments... what a load of crap.
Simmer down. As soon as the Viet Nam era pilots move out....:rotfl:

Serfs don't fly. Take a realistic look at the future and invest in subsistence agriculture skills and firearms. I'm stoked. Some nerds always wanted to be pilots. I always wanted to be a Warlord. 'bathe her and bring her to me'.
That is hilarious! I choked on my Ricola reading that.:beer:

I've been on a couple of DCA's conference calls/propaganda broadcasts and it's non stop "pilot shortage, pilot shortage, pilot shortage" Also the guy they mentioned in the article, Mark Libretto with Jet Blue, he is always on those calls saying the same crap… he is prob getting a cut from DCA for each skull of mush he recruits for the "puppy mill". To think I was actually going to attend that place:banghead: …. Thank you JC!

I think there will be a shortage because most of them will not work for $18000 a year(and spends a crapload of money on training just to get there). Especially if HR3371 passes.

But that is just me.

I've been on a couple of DCA's conference calls/propaganda broadcasts and it's non stop "pilot shortage, pilot shortage, pilot shortage" Also the guy they mentioned in the article, Mark Libretto with Jet Blue, he is always on those calls saying the same crap… he is prob getting a cut from DCA for each skull of mush he recruits for the "puppy mill". To think I was actually going to attend that place:banghead: …. Thank you JC!

I'm thinking a sleeper cell of JCers needs to get the call-in info for that conference call....

There is not and never will be a pilot shortage. There is a shortage of guys and gals that will subject themselves to what the regionals do to you, especially for the pay you get. They are not one in the same.

Shouldn't this be under mind-numbing topics? ANOTHER article talking about how great DCA is. About pilot shortages??? I understand marketing yourself but this is getting crazy!

Shouldn't this be under mind-numbing topics? ANOTHER article talking about how great DCA is. About pilot shortages??? I understand marketing yourself but this is getting crazy!

I didn't add the tag, but I meant the post with all the :sarcasm: that is appropriate to such a post on this topic.

I don't ever foresee a shortage of pilots in the sense that airlines will cancel flights and go out of business because there are no crews (that is what it sounds like DCA is trying to sell here), but I definitely can see a shortage of people willing to fork over - heck, afford - 50/60/70K and up to get their ratings, and a shortage of people willing to live this lifestyle for so little monetary reward.

LoadMasterC141;1313374 Everyone says there are alot of people on the street. Isn't there less than 2001-2002? How fast did they go through those people on the street? ... Flight schools are slow said:
That's a good question. I wasn't in the game then, but for those that were instructing in that '99-'02 timeframe what was it like?

Back