Ground Instructor Certificate

pwapilot

What's the typical procedure for obtaining your ground instructor certificate after passing the written exams? Do you normally have to go to the FSDO or can everything be completed online via IACRA?

Thanks,
pwapilot

What's the typical procedure for obtaining your ground instructor certificate after passing the written exams? Do you normally have to go to the FSDO or can everything be completed online via IACRA?

Thanks,
pwapilot

I got my IGI through IACRA, which required a DPE to approve it all. Issued the temp after it was all done. Big pain in the rear, and it even cost money - - - surprise. Go to the FSDO with your FOI & GI Test report and have it done right there. Have your 8710 filled out and ready. If they ask you to submit via IACRA do so, but let the FSDO deal with it.

Thanks,
pwapilot

You can bring your written test results and ID (make sure its not expired! I showed up with an expired drivers license, and they told me to come back with a current ID) and completed 8710 form to your local FSDO. Its pretty simple really. They take the form, check your id, take the test results from you, and issue you a temp certificate.

Actually, it cannot be done by "any" DPE. It requires a GIE (Ground Instructor Examiner). Some DPEs are both a DPE and GIE. It is also possible that the DPE who did the certificate approval wasn't actually authorized to do that. I don't know if IACRA can distinguish a DPE beyond the fact they are DPEs.

Reference FAA Order 8710.3E, Chapter 1, Section 2, Paragraph 3 O.

Whatever - it was a fairly easy process and of 8 people having passed these individual tests that day 5 got their IGI/AGI and/or BGI temps issued. The DPE was properly qualified to do so, nobody encountered problems, but all where charged a fee for the service. I like the FAA way better, thats why I recommended it. Believe I also answered the OP's question.

No regulations where harmed in making this IGI, the AGI results will make it to the FAA when I feel like it. Not that anyone would be looking for one anyways... :D

Is there anything that makes you believe he was qualified to do that besides the fact the application made it through Oklahoma City and you received the certificate?

There is not much that makes me 'believe' anything, PeterPilot, other than talking to the FSDO (which happened to be a very very busy one) and receiving said DPE's name as a 'alternate' means of accomplishing this menial task and avoiding a 50 mile drive. Would this answer your questions?

The person was referred to me by this FSDO as a DPE, nobody used the specific term "GIE". I bluntly assume that does not make all of this "highly criminal", as neither certificate has returned (investment nor effort) the market value of the plastic it is printed upon. In fact it may soon appear for sale on Ebay in Cuba :rolleyes: I may get a dime for it, including shipping?

However, yes, there was a charge in addition to the testing fees and that is that.

There is not much that makes me 'believe' anything, PeterPilot, other than talking to the FSDO (which happened to be a very very busy one) and receiving said DPE's name as a 'alternate' means of accomplishing this menial task and avoiding a 50 mile drive. Would this answer your questions?
Until now, you failed to mention that you received the recommendation from the FSDO. They do indeed have the authority to designate GIEs (regardless of how busy they are). That doesn’t mean that every DPE is automatically a GIE.

Until now, you failed to mention that you received the recommendation from the FSDO. They do indeed have the authority to designate GIEs (regardless of how busy they are). That doesn’t mean that every DPE is automatically a GIE.

Are you going to charge me for this lesson too, or am I good to go? :D
I stated two different ways to go after this Ground Instructor Certificate for OP. Whats your issue?

And BTW, Ground Instructors can full well charge for their time. I do, but I don't have much. Time, that is.

I've been following along and still can't tell who's piss is going the farthest.

Holy cow T-Cart! In the last 20 years you must have learned that the Administrator always wins that one. :D

To the OP:

How's the whole thing coming along? Died of boredom yet?

Back