Green vs Magenta needle on VOR Approach

You talking about the endless dashed green radial line it will draw out and you can't get rid of?
Yep. I mean how it works is obvious, but why do some aircraft do it and some don’t? Is there a way to get rid of it other than de tuning the VOR? These are the questions that plague men’s minds at 2 AM over Nebraska.

Yep. I mean how it works is obvious, but why do some aircraft do it and some don’t? Is there a way to get rid of it other than de tuning the VOR? These are the questions that plague men’s minds at 2 AM over Nebraska.
We just throw 108.0 in there when a frequency isn’t needed.

We just throw 108.0 in there when a frequency isn’t needed.
Sure, easy enough. Or just tune the loc for the destination. But like I said, on long flights I often keep in the habit of having a bearing pointer up and on the jjjjeeeetttts that display the course line it’s a little annoying, and it’s even weirder that our manuals don’t talk about it (well, not that weird with how dumbed down everything is these days). If you haven’t run into it, here’s a picture:
C693010A-A231-48FD-97E8-DCDD992138D8.jpeg

I’ve pressed every button and switch on the nav radio and display controller and on the planes that have it none of them make it go away, but it’s not on all the Max’s.

Last edited:
Sure, easy enough. Or just tune the loc for the destination. But like I said, on long flights I often keep in the habit of having a bearing pointer up and on the jjjjeeeetttts that display the course line it’s a little annoying, and it’s even weirder that our manuals don’t talk about it (well, not that weird with how dumbed down everything is these days). If you haven’t run into it, here’s a picture:
View attachment 79364
I’ve pressed every button and switch on the nav radio and display controller and on the planes that have it none of them make it go away, but it’s not on all the Max’s.
Nobody’s going to let me near their 737 Max anytime soon but I think this stuff is fun so I’ll take a shot. :)
Looks like this has been asked before and it supposedly is controlled by the Radial/Distance (RAD/DIS) line on the Fix page in the FMC.

If it’s tied to the individual fix I wonder if you can clear it out or do “0/0” or “ / “ or something like that without affecting your route/flight plan?

Nobody’s going to let me near their 737 Max anytime soon but I think this stuff is fun so I’ll take a shot. :)
Looks like this has been asked before and it supposedly is controlled by the Radial/Distance (RAD/DIS) line on the Fix page in the FMC.

If it’s tied to the individual fix I wonder if you can clear it out or do “0/0” or “ / “ or something like that without affecting your route/flight plan?
Nope. This is same symbology but tied to the VOR not the fix page

View attachment 79364
Yeah, that’s every one of our 73s… like I said, we don’t tune a VOR unless required and thus no dotted line.

Out of curiosity, why do you select a freq and turn on the VOR bearing on long flights?

I often put a VOR bearing pointer up to something generally ahead of the airplane when doing transcons. Literally every captain I’ve flown with has been like “wtf are you doing”. I even found a functionality on some of the max’s that our books don’t mention and no one has been able to explain to me.
I just saw this… the green dotted line off the VORs can be very functional. As an example, it’s great for visualizing an engine out procedure.

Yeah, that’s every one of our 73s… like I said, we don’t tune a VOR unless required and thus no dotted line.

Out of curiosity, why do you select a freq and turn on the VOR bearing on long flights?
Why not? If nothing else, it’s entertaining to see just how far off most of the VOR receivers are despite passing the built in check every day.

Why not? If nothing else, it’s entertaining to see just how far off most of the VOR receivers are despite passing the built in check every day.

Yeah, in general practice we use both. Fix page for distance and the VOR bearing pointers for courses and because we have to have them up anyway for eng out procedures.
As a guess, better than half of ours reference FMC waypoints so if we display it on the screen (not everyone does since we have the procedures in the FMC) we use the fix page for everything including any VOR course/distance. But like I said it seems like most reference waypoints so the VOR radial function would be useless for that.

As a guess, better than half of ours reference FMC waypoints so if we display it on the screen (not everyone does since we have the procedures in the FMC) we use the fix page for everything including any VOR course/distance. But like I said it seems like most reference waypoints so the VOR radial function would be useless for that.
is the depicted radial reflecting the course set in your window?

Back