Great Lakes

So then, so long as they do not "quit" during the duration of the training contract in which they are furloughed they do not have to pay it?

From what I understand, any time we spend on furlough doesn't count toward the 15 months of the contract. So if we're on line 3 months, get furloughed for 12 and then get recalled, we still have 12 more months before the contract is up. It's pretty retarded. I wonder how many airlines I can acquire recall rights from. Maybe I can collect em all!

Furloughed and owe money if you don't come back. Probably not so bad for the instructors out there because lakes is a step up but if you came from previous airline or pro flying, that majorly sucks.

Wonder why they were all about hiring, then all of a sudden, furloughing trainees? I have a friend who just finished his checkride, then got furloughed..

I just have to keep telling my self, I love this career, I love this career, I love this career.....

My buddy was in the middle of training at Lakes the other day and the director of operations walked in and said "Sorry folks, class is cancelled." He started training on April 6th, and gave me three of his students before he left. I'll be damned if I give em back. :D

I'm sorry but if a company with a training contract dumps me in the street and expects me to come back in an undetermined about of time and finish the contract, they must not know that they violated the terms of my signature. So sorry, no guarantees I'll come back. Find a judge that'll side with you.

I'm sorry but if a company with a training contract dumps me in the street and expects me to come back in an undetermined about of time and finish the contract, they must not know that they violated the terms of my signature. So sorry, no guarantees I'll come back. Find a judge that'll side with you.

Right on! :nana2:

Well said. Just a crappy situation all the way around. My buddy doesn't know what he's going to do now. He's stuck in Wyoming, on furlough and lost his students at his old school.

RD

Just to comment of a bit of the confusion.

Your not hired until you pass your checkride, your also not bound by the training contract until your hired. If your in class and the class is canned then you were never hired, not bound by anything.

No one who is furloughed is bound by any contract at the moment.

Anyone who had not passed their checkride was furloughed, currently no line pilots are furloughed... actually not sure what to call it because those who were sent home were not technically "hired" yet. No talk of letting go any line pilots.

The reason for this is because there were contracts in Arkansas that were unable to be fulfilled, the stocking up on pilots was based on the idea of being able to acquire more 1900's to serve that area and currently there are none in the price-range/lease type available.

Word is there should be a class in Aug/Sep.

I was kibitzing with a couple of Lakes Air clowns today while I waited to find out the status on a trip I was supposed to take. They were telling me that the company was having difficulty filling class seats. They further added that the company was losing a lot of captains and that, due to the disparity in experience level between the CAPT and FO communities, they were thinking of hiring some street captains next year if they couldn't get some FOs upgraded. What do you guys make of all that?

Ollie,
Did you really just fire off and call a respected pilot group "clowns" in your first couple of post here? Well done airman!:sarcasm:

Ollie,
Did you really just fire off and call a respected pilot group "clowns" in your first couple of post here? Well done airman!:sarcasm:

When did $14k a year FO's become the uber leet respected pilot group that you refer to? Those Manahattan RON trips are bomb!

Nope. Reread my post. I called these two particular dudes clowns. I didn't say that their entire community was populated with clowns. Somebody needs to lay off the coffee and NoDoz!

This type of argument is typically the reason that I keep my mouth shut around here, but what the heck I'll bite.

1) Ollie you called out an entire pilot group by using their call sign. Never saw any particular reference in you post to Captain limpwrist and First Officer kneepad.

2) Regarding comments by skywestseth. I'm not sure that I ever elevated Great Lakes pilots to the hights that you elude to. However, I would point out that they are a hard working group of pilots that have placed several Lakers at the "major airline" level.

Nothing personal, just putting out comments based on my experience.

Back