GPS Spoofing... Watch your Assets.

That’s what sucks. It’s a good post without the “whaaaa, noooobody likes me” drama.
YOU are the only one of the TWO of us in this convo who employed a derogatory name. So, rectify that, while you clamber back up into the saddle of that high horse of your'n.

I was talking about GPS Spoofing. What was YOUR point again???

I’ve flown with him before and he’ll handle it better than most. Then he’ll get struck by lightning.
Yeah, petitioning Gravity with prayer is always sound technique in the advancement of aviation safety and crew competence. 'Specially when one gets bored from monitoring all those confusing and bothersome cockpit gauges.

Not necessarily germane, but one of the minor annoyances of being on staff is that I can't utilize the Ignore function.

In this case I have mixed feelings. Occasionally the poster in question has some decent things to say, you just have to sift through a bunch of “other” to find it.

I generally don't like the ignore function because I’d like to think I’m enough of an adult to be the better person. But there are a few that seem to know just how to press my buttons in a way that makes me want to be a person I’m not exactly proud of, so….

In this case I have mixed feelings. Occasionally the poster in question has some decent things to say, you just have to sift through a bunch of “other” to find it.

I generally don't like the ignore function because I’d like to think I’m enough of an adult to be the better person. But there are a few that seem to know just how to press my buttons in a way that makes me want to be a person I’m not exactly proud of, so….
Same, same.

I probably need to be more tolerant. I'll work on that...maybe tomorrow. :smoke:

Interpersonal communication issues aside, the OP’s link was good. Avionics manufacturers have to get their crap together and make their INS and DME/DME triangulation a truly redundant backup rather than turning itself off because their bad software got confused.

Also, this type of GPS spoofing is literally the plot of Tomorrow Never Dies. Surprised it’s taken this long. :)

1696020346557.png

Interpersonal communication issues aside, the OP’s link was good. Avionics manufacturers have to get their crap together and make their INS and DME/DME triangulation a truly redundant backup rather than turning itself off because their bad software got confused.

Also, this type of GPS spoofing is literally the plot of Tomorrow Never Dies. Surprised it’s taken this long. :)

View attachment 74061
For all the detractors...

At the end of the day, I'm here to help... Whether you want help or not.:p

Here’s probably the nerdiest thing you’ll read today. The SR-71 Blackbird had an Astroinertial Navigation System (ANS) which was an INS that used a star-tracker telescope on top to update its position using celestial navigation. The ANS was a white box loaded behind the pilots so they nicknamed it R2-D2.

From “The Complete Book of the SR-71 Blackbird: The Illustrated Profile of Every Aircraft, Crew, and Breakthrough of the World's Fastest Stealth Jet”
https://a.co/d/3bV4SAH

Star tracking was automatic and the ANS computer picked which star to track as a function of latitude, longitude, day of the year, time of day, pitch and roll attitude and location of the sun. The computer then selected a star by going through a catalog of available stars arranged in decreasing brightness until it found one.

“On the RSO’s ANS panel, an illuminated star “ON” light indicated that a minimum of two stars had been tracked within the last five minutes…”

“…By comparing the position of the stars to their known locations, and with the exact time of day [they had a highly accurate chronometer on board pre-GPS], the ANS could then compute the aircraft’s precise location. A normal gyro compass alignment of the ANS required thirty-six minutes of warm up time and provided the SR-71 with a great-circle navigational accuracy 1,885 ft (0.3 nm) for up to ten hours of flying time.”

18763A00-BD4B-41C8-9567-F348428FDB4F.jpeg

E0744B69-A9AA-46B4-9494-691521A090BD.jpeg

TL;DR - it’s astounding what we knew how to do back in the 1960s, it blows my mind that we could do this pre-GPS. Now that we have GPS it has become this embarrassing crutch that we can’t live without and an excuse for world governments to ditch maintaining land-based navaids that we should really be holding onto for redundancy. But unlike the article in the original post, the SR-71 ANS is a shining example of how to properly supplement INS, even in a way that required no land-based navaid back up. :)

P.S. if like me you think this subject matter is cool, buy the book. It’s awesome!

Here’s probably the nerdiest thing you’ll read today. The SR-71 Blackbird had an Astroinertial Navigation System (ANS) which was an INS that used a star-tracker telescope on top to update its position using celestial navigation. The ANS was a white box loaded behind the pilots so they nicknamed it R2-D2.

From “The Complete Book of the SR-71 Blackbird: The Illustrated Profile of Every Aircraft, Crew, and Breakthrough of the World's Fastest Stealth Jet”

Star tracking was automatic and the ANS computer picked which star to track as a function of latitude, longitude, day of the year, time of day, pitch and roll attitude and location of the sun. The computer then selected a star by going through a catalog of available stars arranged in decreasing brightness until it found one.

“On the RSO’s ANS panel, an illuminated star “ON” light indicated that a minimum of two stars had been tracked within the last five minutes…”

“…By comparing the position of the stars to their known locations, and with the exact time of day [they had a highly accurate chronometer on board pre-GPS], the ANS could then compute the aircraft’s precise location. A normal gyro compass alignment of the ANS required thirty-six minutes of warm up time and provided the SR-71 with a great-circle navigational accuracy 1,885 ft (0.3 nm) for up to ten hours of flying time.”

View attachment 74067

View attachment 74068

TL;DR - it’s astounding what we knew how to do back in the 1960s, it blows my mind that we could do this pre-GPS. Now that we have GPS it has become this embarrassing crutch that we can’t live without and an excuse for world governments to ditch maintaining land-based navaids that we should really be holding onto for redundancy. But unlike the article in the original post, the SR-71 ANS is a shining example of how to properly supplement INS, even in a way that required no land-based navaid back up. :)

P.S. if like me you think this subject matter is cool, buy the book. It’s awesome!
YUP!!!! 🤩

But WHY "nerdy"? It's the basics of EVERYTHING all the machines that go "ping" actually do. That's not nerdy. That's first grade ... or at least it ought to be.

Anyone else here ever had to take a celestial navigation course? (Yeah, upcoming bashers, I know it's not everyday practical or state of the art anymore. But it sure gives one the basics and foundations of time/speed/distance, and maybe just maybe, a more accurate sense of humanity's real place in the universe. Also, nice to have in the quiver in a pinch.)

View attachment 74067

View attachment 74068

The FB-111A Aardvark, the Strategic Air Command medium bomber version, used a Litton ASQ-119 Astro tracker also, for the same reason for the INS. It was mounted ahead of the windscreen.

IMG_4566.jpeg

Anyone else here ever had to take a celestial navigation course?

I got to visit this place back before Mather AFB closed in Sacramento due to the 1988 BRAC. Mather was the home of USAF Navigator training, and for the guys who took the table navigator track (as opposed to the Weapons System Officer or Electronic Warfare Officer tracks), they took their celestial navigation ground school is the Spitz Planetarium they had on base there, kind of an IMAX-style facility. Way cool facility to see.

IMG_0363.jpeg

My old man flew grey planes (or I guess more like blue and then eventually grey and white) when their Nav still used celestial nav. He knew enough about it to be dangerous. Cool stuff. 0.3nm/10 hrs is really tight accuracy in a non-GPS world.

The FB-111A Aardvark, the Strategic Air Command medium bomber version, used a Litton ASQ-119 Astro tracker also, for the same reason for the INS. It was mounted ahead of the windscreen.

View attachment 74072

Apparently those units come up for auction from time to time.

My old man flew grey planes (or I guess more like blue and then eventually grey and white) when their Nav still used celestial nav. He knew enough about it to be dangerous. Cool stuff. 0.3nm/10 hrs is really tight accuracy in a non-GPS world.

The FAA does have a navigator certificate, a carryover from the days of have an engineer and navigator onboard. Ten years ago there were only 126 active navigator certificates, as of 2022 there are only 29.

The FAA does have a navigator certificate, a carryover from the days of have an engineer and navigator onboard. Ten years ago there were only 126 active navigator certificates, as of 2022 there are only 29.

The Flight Navigator certificate. Have always wondered if graduates of USAF or USN Navigator school could mil-comp those.

Never took a course but I taught myself celestial navigation while working aboard the tall ship Alvei. At the time I was a super nerd disguised as a surfer. The working on different sailing ships was a neat way to see the world and I had always wanted to teach myself celestial nav. We were at sea so much on Alvei I had enough time to figure it out. I had a cheap sextant. Pretty sure it was plastic. A small handheld HF radio for a time hack. H0249 the air navigation tables and a how to book: Celestial Navigation for Yachtsmen, by Mary Blewitt. And the nautical almanac. By the end of my time on Alvei I could reliably shoot stars, the planets and the sun. I never could figure out how to shoot the moon. The math was too hard for me to sort out on my own. Maybe with some help I could have figured it out.

I could fix my position within about 3-5 miles. Not bad for an idiot.

Fun fact: HO229 was the tables for navigation at sea, HO249 for air. The sea tables were extra complex for a better position fix and was considered by everyone as overly complicated.

Yes. Mary Blewitt is a real name as far as I know.

Back