GPS database vs. paper charts (time of expiration)

jrh

Today, the government instrument approach plates expired at 0901Z.

The GPS database (Jepp NavData) expires at midnight tonight.

Why is this legal? What happens during these few hours to approaches that have been modified in some way?

FDC notams

So, say a GPS approach changes. Maybe a different missed approach procedure.

How will it be charted, versus how it's displayed in the GPS? Seems odd that a pilot would either need to follow a chart that conflicts with the GPS, or follow a GPS that conflicts with a chart, particularly during a GPS approach.

I know I'm splitting hairs here, but I guess it's what "technical talk" is for, right?

If I'm reading the other peoples' responses in your other thread correctly, the answer is clearly that you are a dangerous cowboy. And your ego is writing checks your body can't cash. And that makes you dangerous.

Reactions: jrh
Today, the government instrument approach plates expired at 0901Z.

The GPS database (Jepp NavData) expires at midnight tonight.

Why is this legal? What happens during these few hours to approaches that have been modified in some way?

GPS database needs updated every 28 days, whereas the Government Approach plates only needs updated 56 days. If that changes anything...

If I'm reading the other peoples' responses in your other thread correctly, the answer is clearly that you are a dangerous cowboy. And your ego is writing checks your body can't cash. And that makes you dangerous.

Ha! It wouldn't be the first time, nor will it probably be the last time.

Sometimes all I can do is shake my head and walk away.

Back