Gov't IAP's vs Jepps

C650CPT

Gov\'t IAP\'s vs Jepps

I am curious for those out there that have flown with both types of Instrument Approach Procedures what thier preference is and why.
I fly with both types and personally prefer the Gov't pubs (law of primacy) exsecially with the new briefing format. My biggest problem is the non standard departure information being located in the front of the volume rather than co located with the airport info. I use the Gov't pubs when I am on a Military flight. This is a DoD requirement.
I use the Jepp View product for my civilian job, as this is my chief pilot's preference. Jepp View is the product that you have all the approaches on CD / Hard drive and print just the procedures you want. We carry the Gov't pubs as a back up in case we divert. I know what you're thinking, why pay for both services, because its the chief pilots preference. I don't know which is more expensive but I'm ptetty sure the Gov't pubs are cheaper. The nice thing about Jepp View is we use Jeppesen Flite Star flight planning software and you can automatically print the approaches for the airports in the flight plan.
Airport / taxi diagrams are easier to read on the Gov't charts is another big reason I prefer the Gov't charts.

Re: Gov\'t IAP\'s vs Jepps

[ QUOTE ]
I am curious for those out there that have flown with both types of Instrument Approach Procedures what thier preference is and why.
I fly with both types and personally prefer the Gov't pubs (law of primacy) exsecially with the new briefing format. My biggest problem is the non standard departure information being located in the front of the volume rather than co located with the airport info. I use the Gov't pubs when I am on a Military flight. This is a DoD requirement.
I use the Jepp View product for my civilian job, as this is my chief pilot's preference. Jepp View is the product that you have all the approaches on CD / Hard drive and print just the procedures you want. We carry the Gov't pubs as a back up in case we divert. I know what you're thinking, why pay for both services, because its the chief pilots preference. I don't know which is more expensive but I'm ptetty sure the Gov't pubs are cheaper. The nice thing about Jepp View is we use Jeppesen Flite Star flight planning software and you can automatically print the approaches for the airports in the flight plan.
Airport / taxi diagrams are easier to read on the Gov't charts is another big reason I prefer the Gov't charts.

[/ QUOTE ]

The FLIP pubs are what I prefer. Have used the civvie versions (NOS) during my civil flying, even though my airline issued Jepps, which I still kept up to date. The FLIPs are, to me, better organized, easier to read, and in the new format easier to use. And you'll notice that they're starting to go to tan color for plan-view terrain too. Also, FLIP has radar approach mins on the plate (if they serve that runway), with the rest of the radar mins being in front of the book. Things I don't like are civil SID/STARS kept in a separate book altogether, though the military SID/STARS are with the normal approach plates.

Another good addition you'll notice is that starting with the current editions, th govt plates have been reorganized, geographically, and seem more user friendly.

Jepp. Much easier to read.

The profile shows what you actually fly.
All information for one airport is where it should be, in the same area!
Font easier to read, briefing strip in order needed for an approach.
Easier to deal with single pages.
Drawings are better.
Elevations in plan view are next to what they actually show the elevation for.
Entire procedure turn shown.
Airport diagrams are MUCH better, show what you need, easier to read.

Only advantage I see with the gov charts is a bit cheaper. They are getting better, don't see why they can't just copy Jepp
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
They are getting better, don't see why they can't just copy Jepp
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They slowly are
smirk.gif

Another thing that sucks about the NACO charts is the holes are very close to the edge of the paper and tear very easily. It is also hard to put them into one of the little organizers before a flight. The IAP's on the back of the page are upside down, so if you flip the page in your chart holder, you have to turn it over too. The only advantage I see is they are cheap and easily available. I only use them when going out of my home area for this reason. Otherwise, it is Jepps all the way.

Back