Gotta preach again

[ QUOTE ]
Doug, do you by chance shop Safeway on 64th and Greenway?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope! I'm a Basha's kind of guy and I spend about 99.9% of my time north of Shea and east of Scottsdale Road.

Except if I need baby bok choy, I'll brave the shiny armada of Lexus, MBZ's and BMW's and hit AJ's fine foods. But only for baby bok choy or fresh mozzarella.

[ QUOTE ]
What that image really needs is a captain that says "Candy little girls?"

[/ QUOTE ]A captain? Or a caption? Sounds a little Freudian to me, Dougie!
grin.gif
In any case, such a caption has been covered--just scroll up a bit further.

Probably a freudian slip!

But there is a captain that I occasionally fly with that brings a big bag of candy with him on trips.

Usually a little candy goes a long way in helping your crew out during a stressful day.

On the bag?

"C.L.G.?" (Candy Little Girl?)

Real Estate makes a good aviation back-up. Either in sales, brokerage, or appraising. I took an accelerated appraisers course while 8 months pregnant because I was furloughed and things were looking dicey for my husband at Delta. I passed the state test 9 days before the baby was born, and thankfully my husband escaped furlough (this time, FM3 who knows!). There was a furloughed United guy in my class, and another AA flight attendant (not furloughed but wanting some extra income).
Anyway, real estate is something you can do as much or as little as you want, and makes for great extra money on the side or a second emergency career.

Where would I learn more about appraisal? Sounds interesting. i really don't want to go back to being a nuke if it comes to it. I did a ophysical for the Man today. I am ok as far as blood pressure and the like...for now.

Each state has their own rules for the issuance of appraisers licenses, as far as the number of hours of education (Illinois required 75 hours of classroom education and a state test). Often you can take these classes through a local community college, that's the cheapest way to go, although it can take a while because you can probably only take one class per semester, and in Illinois that was three classes, it would have taken a year, and that would have had to include summer school! So what I did was a internet search for "licensed real estate appraiser education" and I found a great school that did accelerated courses. It was intense, kind of like new-hire ground school, there's lots of new info thrown at you, but it's logical information that makes sense, and if you pay attention in class you won't have a problem. The education is broken up into three seperate classes, a total of 10 days of class (75 hours). It was set up so that you could take classes every Sat and Sun for 5 weekends. The cost for all three classes was about $1000, plus the licensing and testing fees (another $70). Again, every state does things a little different, but I found all my information by doing MSN internet searches.

I did really like the classes though, it was something new. Appraising requires a lot of the same skills as flying, (logic, critical thinking, decision making, attention to detail) I think it's a great second career for a pilot. I'd been with the airlines for 7 years, and it was kind of nice to learn something a little different!

Back