Gotta preach again

Think so?
smile.gif
LOL

FlyChicaga on neighborhood patrol:

T2b1PM.jpg

Doug and all...
The best advice my Dad ever gave me when I dropped out of college to pusue this aviation thing was to first learn a trade. He told me that if I learned a trade it would sustain me in down times as I could always find work. Now mind you my Dad is a lumberjack and has no time for formal education but his wisdom has paid off every time I needed it. I became a plumber / HVAC mechanic and did very well as such. I am convinced if I were to loose my medical ( God forbid ), that I would be back to work on Monday, allbeit at a pay cut, but certainly better than a burger flipper.

[ QUOTE ]
...be a teacher and make slightly more than a CFI would.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe this should be a new thread (if so, say so). What does a CFI make?

CFI's don't make sh*t....unless they free-lance.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here is loss of license insurance. I think most larger airlines will have it available and the premiums aren't that bad...maybe $50 a month. It pays 2/3 of your salary until retirement age if you lose and can't maintain your medical. I doubt if you can get it unless you work for a fairly sizeable company.

"Can I interest you girls in some...candy?"

[ QUOTE ]
FlyChicaga on neighborhood patrol:

T2b1PM.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I have several options for backup plans but they are back up plans for a reason. They are things I have skills in but no desire to do. I have been watching the diet(not enough) and excersing but I am reallyy worried about blood pressure. My entire family has high blood pressure issues. Anyone know other ways to reduce blood pressure other than an occasional bleeding???
laugh.gif

There are drugs that can control it. I'm not sure if they're disqualifying for a medical, though.

There are some pilots on blood pressure medication and others that are "slightly" diabetic. But I don't know the specifics of the cases however.

Unfortunately, my genetic hand-me-down medical condition already hit me. When I was 14 I had to have surgery for a Cholesteotoma. It's a tumor in your ear. It ate away most of my eardrum, all of my mastoid bone, some of my hearing bones, and alot of my ear canal had to be removed, also it ate a small hole in my skull near my inner ear. This same condition killed my grandmother when my mom was 12 and my great grandmother on the other side when my grandfather was 19. Do any of you think I will have trouble getting a first class? My hearing in my bad ear isn't so good, but the other one is great. Hopefully that won't keep me from pursuing a career in Aviation.
frown.gif

Ways to reduce BP=cut out caffiene, reduce stress, don't smoke, limit alcohol, lose weight, exercise, get your vitamins and minerals, don't worry about what your blood presure is. (I guess that falls into the reduce stress catagory.)
smile.gif
HTH.

Hey Doug,

How would a line pilot become a check pilot or sim instructor
at a major or regional? Would that be a reasonable backup should you lose your medical. Is the medical still required if you are a sim/ground instructor? I'm at ERAU DAB this fall doing Aero Science, as a transfer student with a 2yr associate degree in arts from a community college, and I'm getting the impression that it will not mean much with the 2yr by itself, it was basically a cheap way to get the humanties, etc type classes out of the way before coming to riddle or any other major college.

Doug,
sorry to hear about your brother. What are the chances of you having the same thing? Have you asked the doctors if it generally runs in the family? You know, I am in my third year with Riddle completing the same degree you have (airway science). I have often wondered if I should change my major even if it takes more time. I am not sure what I would do with that degree if I couldn't fly. The nice thing about the degree is the 36 credit hours you recieve for all of your ratings. Any advice on this issue?

I know two pilots that opened a couple of coffee franchises to back them up after 9/11. They actually have three now and are making more than their salary with Alaska Airlines. Just a thought for you guy's who have a little of that entrepenurial (spell check please) spirit.

Doug, do you by chance shop Safeway on 64th and Greenway? My wife and I were heading in there a few weeks ago and I thought I may have seen you heading in as well. Of course I have only seen your mug on the forum and the picture isn't all that big. Just curious.

ILS

[ QUOTE ]
I get into a lot of debates about having a back-up plan in case an aviation career doesn't work out. Primarily getting a good solid four-year degree as a back-up to your aviation career goals.

Some people think I'm full of sh*t, others want to argue, and a flight school or two has told some of their visitors that I don't know what I'm talking about because specifically they don't require one.

Well, I got the news today that my brother is both diabetic and hypertensive. He's active, rides his bike to work daily and doesn't lounge around the house all day watching television on his off days.

Luckily, we're all behind him and fortunately his job doesn't depend on his ability to pass a First Class medical every six months.

That hit real close to home, because mine does.

And so does (or will) yours.

Where does this all relate to you? Well, if it were me, I'd be out of a job.

And McDonalds doesn't care if I've got 7000 hours of total time and 4500 hours of jet.

If you're thinking about this career without a viable back-up, you're not only crazy, you're downright stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eeeek That scared the hell out of me. My dad's dad is a diabetic. That might rub off on me. Ok I need to get my diet in order.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

T2b1PM.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the Olsen Twins?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the olsen twins where still in diapers when T2 came out. Besides if it was them, Iain would have pointed it out. LOL

The one in the black jacket is actually Nikki Cox. I noticed that about a year ago when I saw the movie.

What that image really needs is a captain that says "Candy little girls?"

Preach on sir! Good advice. I've got a 30 year career in electronics(which is in the sh*thole now with everything esle), but I'm planning on a back-up back-up. Something in aviation in case I loose my medical.

Sorry to hear about your brother too, hard on him and your family. But your preaching and a dose of common sense has recently convinved me to seek a back-up/back-up. Since my big passion is in aviation now and have been there done that with electronics, well aviation it is. I now have to figure out what specialty to pursue.

Back