Got the call....

meyers9163

From Mesaba today. Basically saying we want you to come in for an interview and we are conducting interviews the next two weeks. From talking to the lady it sounded like they'd want me for the CRJ900 as I have experience in that type of plane. However I am really having a hard time with this one. I currently am employeed with PSA Airlines in Dayton, Ohio. I am able to sit reserve in Indy however as you all know I am furloughed as of September 10th. I just recently took a position with a local business that will pay more then I am making as a 2nd-3rd year FO at any regional. However its not aviation related. I also know Mesaba will require me to resign my seniority. Thus why Pinnacle was rather appealing. Anyways I am wondering if any of you have been placed into a position like this? I would try to commute to DTW if even given the job. I know there are a ton of flights a day out of Ind-Dtw. Anyways thoughts, comments, anything would be a help? I really thought the only company I'd be willing to go back through training for would be a Skywest or if even the chance again to accept an offer dare I say it Republic (jump on me boys I know). Those two for obvious reasons. But these are the times and I am struggling with this one. I am excited to have gotten the call but at a loss really.

Congrats on the call. I'm not sure anyone can make that decision except you. Like you've said in other posts, I doubt PSA is going to be recalling for quite some time. But one never knows. I had the chance to interview with Mesaba about a year ago, but I turned it down. Now I'm wishing I got on with them.

BTW- where do you have experience in the CR9?

Congrats on the call. I'm not sure anyone can make that decision except you. Like you've said in other posts, I doubt PSA is going to be recalling for quite some time. But one never knows. I had the chance to interview with Mesaba about a year ago, but I turned it down. Now I'm wishing I got on with them.

BTW- where do you have experience in the CR9?

Oh I meant CRJ aircraft. :) Good catch bro! Its a hard decision to make. Just got off the phone with the fiance and needless to say that call did not go like the one we had when I was offered my initial interview with PSA a year ago.

Tough decision for sure. I'd say if you wanted to have a flying job, go with Mesaba. Clearly though, you don't want to be at the bottom of anyone's seniority list. And who knows what the plan is for Mesaba with the DAL/NWA merger.

On the other hand, you'd have to commute and that definitely affects your QOL. Maybe it'd be best to take the money and stability of the non-aviation job, and wait for a call back from PSA?

I'm sure these are all things you've thought of. Ugh, I hate making life-altering decisions like this!

I wont go through another round of unpaid new hire training, a year of poverty wages, and the added bonus of commuting to reserve at another airline until my recall rights at xjet are completely gone. Its not worth it to me by a long stretch, at least not right now.

The things that would weigh in on any decision...could I afford to move to my new base, do I have enough money in savings to make first year pay tolerable, what's the g/f think, do I have to give up recall rights (and if so is the new place better), health of the new company, QOL at the new palce...etc.

That's a tough one - with the merger, Mesaba may be going strong now, but what will the new parent company do to them? I think if I didn't have to give up my number, I'd be all over it. How do they prove that anyway? How would they know if you didn't resign your #?

Tough call.
You have 9 months and 7 days of your first year done. You are in the top 5-10 for recall, and you can commute out of Dayton. I think I would stay if the family (your case fiancee)situation permitted it.

Best of luck man.

I'd stick it out making more money than a 2nd or 3rd year FO and await a recall.

But granted, what if it never comes.

Tough choice. Make the one that best fits you.

From the fast read

Among the highlights were a management head count reduction totaling 25% of salaried employees, initiatives to reduce operating costs and improve revenue, and discussion of operating costs going forward. Wherever possible, management is also trying to improve its cash position while waiting for the capacity reductions implemented by all carriers for 2009 to take effect. These cutbacks should equate to approximately 10% of domestic capacity industry-wide. The improvements to the cash position involve various tactics including sale and leaseback of assets and renegotiating terms with vendors. No mention was made of any concessions on the part of any labor group. Due to the focus on maintaining liquidity, there are no plans for additional aircraft at this time.

Finally, PSA continues to be a strong performer in terms of operating metrics, but other regional airlines within the Express system have improved their numbers resulting in a declining position for our airline. It is management's desire to see PSA reclaim its number one status amongst our peers and would like help from all employees in achieving this goal.

PIRA and PSA is only a call away. They know where I would have worked.

See maybe a public message board is not the best place for this question, since identifying information is here.

I would suggest asking our training department for their opinion, and your FO rep here. I talked to a couple of old timers here about the same thing, and general consensus was PSA doesn't care, and understands when pilots are furloughed. ###### for the place you go to, but you might decide to stay at Mesaba. Who knows.

I almost wish I went there than PSA, wouldn't have had to move down to Day from Det. Oh well.

You can always go to the interview and turn down the position if its offered. No one here knows for sure whether we are growing or this hiring is just for attrition. You could get hired and sit reserve for months or if we get more flying you would be on the front end of the wave. Mesaba does pay you min guarantee (75x23.38) while you are in training, contrary to what someone posted above so you wont be without income. It's all a gamble right now, I personally would probably stick with the non aviation job for the money knowing I have a spot when things turn around at PSA.

I wont go through another round of unpaid new hire training, a year of poverty wages, and the added bonus of commuting to reserve at another airline until my recall rights at xjet are completely gone. Its not worth it to me by a long stretch, at least not right now.

The things that would weigh in on any decision...could I afford to move to my new base, do I have enough money in savings to make first year pay tolerable, what's the g/f think, do I have to give up recall rights (and if so is the new place better), health of the new company, QOL at the new palce...etc.

New hire training is unpaid at XJT?

I guess the extra 10-14% in FO base pay makes up for it.

You meaning 2nd year pay or just 1st year? Because most of our airlines start at like 23an hour for 1st year? Although 2nd year, needless to say my regional is about 4k behind.

You meaning 2nd year pay or just 1st year? Because most of our airlines start at like 23an hour for 1st year? Although 2nd year, needless to say my regional is about 4k behind.
(2nd through forever)

But my point was only that joilet shouldn't throw stones in his glass house.

They do pay new hires during training, although it is per diem only.

Per diem is not income.

So then. . .they don't pay people during new hire initial?

For some reason I don't believe that, but perhaps one of our many XJT local guys can either verify or deny.

Per diem is not income.

So then. . .they don't pay people during new hire initial?

For some reason I don't believe that, but perhaps one of our many XJT local guys can either verify or deny.
You get a check for ~$1500 which is labeled as "per diem" and that's it.

Back