Got the call....

Ouch. . .how long is initial new hire with you guys? What if you go over the "initially" specified training period, for who knows what - sims are backed up, or instructors calling in sick.

Now that's a raw deal.

Not like it matters to anyone for a few years, but 6 weeks. AFAIK back during the huge hiring wave sims were never backed up (they were using 4, maybe more, locations for sims) it was IOE. But as soon as you pass your PC you're getting MMG so you sat at home getting paid until they called.

It's pretty much a given that DAL/NWA will be one of the last ones standing, however the same can't be said for US Air...just something to consider.

And per diem is better than income, it's untaxed income!!! :D

Tough, tough choice. On one hand DAL/NWA has much better long term financial health than US Airways but you don't know what they'll do with Mesaba.

On the other hand if Mesa doesn't make it through their financial hardship PSA will be prime to pick up that flying and upgrades go through the roof.

I'm pretty sure you'll be recalled by next summer. I would stay at PSA

Tough choice man...I'd personally stay where you are due to the fact you've got the seniority going towards you, but a job is a job. Good luck in your decision...

I'll tell you what a very very wise man at Colgan told me when I asked him about leaving CJC for Mesaba. "The answer to that question, only you can answer." He refused to give any advice one way or the other and I'll do the same. You've got my # though so give me a yell with any contract questions.

That said, if you come to XJ I'd be happy to have you here. If the FO blended pay rate isn't to your liking I understand, we have a lot of complaints about it but it does go up year by year and as of dec 1st this year the pay goes up because we are out of our concessionary period. I'd like to think that the 4 hour day and the 14hour duty limit as well as other contract bonuses make this place well worth it, but it's not for everyone.

(2nd through forever)

But my point was only that joilet shouldn't throw stones in his glass house.

I refer you again to surreals post.

I was not picking on any airline, I was making light of how only giving employees their rightful per diem during training, and no guarantee pay is pathetic.

From Mesaba today. Basically saying we want you to come in for an interview and we are conducting interviews the next two weeks. From talking to the lady it sounded like they'd want me for the CRJ900 as I have experience in that type of plane. However I am really having a hard time with this one. I currently am employeed with PSA Airlines in Dayton, Ohio. I am able to sit reserve in Indy however as you all know I am furloughed as of September 10th. I just recently took a position with a local business that will pay more then I am making as a 2nd-3rd year FO at any regional. However its not aviation related. I also know Mesaba will require me to resign my seniority. Thus why Pinnacle was rather appealing. Anyways I am wondering if any of you have been placed into a position like this? I would try to commute to DTW if even given the job. I know there are a ton of flights a day out of Ind-Dtw. Anyways thoughts, comments, anything would be a help? I really thought the only company I'd be willing to go back through training for would be a Skywest or if even the chance again to accept an offer dare I say it Republic (jump on me boys I know). Those two for obvious reasons. But these are the times and I am struggling with this one. I am excited to have gotten the call but at a loss really.

Take my advice and take the non aviation position.

Why would you want to destroy everything that you have built up in the pass with PSA by giving up your sonority number and starting again back at the bottom of some other company? Unless PSA plans to out of business and since you are close to being recalled I would take the non aviation job. You will be making more money and your relationship with the fiancé will be better.

So it’s a non-aviation job. Big deal. A lot of pilots feel like failures in their careers when they are furloughed. They believe they need to scurry and find another aviation job to justify their perceived downfall.

You are furloughed not terminated.

It’s sort of like say we don’t need you right now, so go run off and do something else in the meantime. And when we need you back there will be plenty of opportunities to fly those tin tubes again. Who knows you might find something that will enlighten your life and make a better person going through this experience.

Cheers!

Señor Meyers,

My opinion, seeing as both you and I are in the same boat, one right behind the other on the seniority list... is this, and buddy have I been thinking alot lately.

Who really knows how long this thing will last even for us in the top 10, you know? That taken into account, I would not give up the seniority number. You've come up with a few things and you have some options up your sleeve... one of the most appealing is the one about a corporate position in the future, once you have more flight time experience.

I think that we should always be looking for advancement, or atleast the possibility of it. Whats the point in moving laterally, from regional FO to regional FO? Specially if it is going to just put you at the bottom of a seniority list. I believe that an opportunity to go to a corporate pilot position is a considerable advancement taking in mind QOL and many other factors.

Personally buddy, might not be too bad to take that non flying job for now, and spend time with the lady. Support her while she finishes her stuff, also then you could ask for some understanding and support on her part when it comes for you to either return to PSA or head to another flying job. Save some money working outside aviation now, so that if you decide to come back to PSA, you have something to help mitigate expenses or even just as a "rainy day" fund. You are a flight instructor, If i were you, Id instruct on the side, by urself, not through a flight school...they take too much of your money. Charge the same that a schools flight instructor would cost and you can keep all that cash for yourself.

I believe that a lateral move into another regional may not be the best idea. Thats just my opinion specially since we are at the top of recall. Of course, I know that just cuz we are numbers 7 and 8, we have no idea how long it could take, considering that, I still wouldnt put myself at the bottom of another regional list.

Take care buddy

There's no column in your logbook for "desk job." (Yes I know you can CFI on the side)

There's no guarantee PSA will recall.

It isn't a lateral move when you don't presently have a J O B at the company you "hold" a seniority number with.

Sure meyers, go take jobs away from mainline pilots.... haha sorry i had to say it. Best of luck dude, hope the decision you make works out for you in the end. I'd say compare everything, pay, contract, etc, and especially bases. Give a holler if we can help. Wish I could help at republic, but as of today i'm out of a job there for the time being, so maybe someday...

Back