Got my first class med. But feel strange about the proccess...

The only problems you'll have getting any medical is if you check any of the little boxes. There's nothing in the physical exam that isn't involved in a normal checkup with any doctor. So unless you've developed some problem (like a heart murmur) in the meantime, you should be okay.

I'm pretty sure that I passed my first class medical sometime back in grade school. I think my AME used the same gear! ..."Lift your hand when you hear a sound", "Read the second row, etc. etc." Too bad that I didn't have my commercial certificate back then. I would have one hell of a senority number by now!
wink.gif

Seriously though, I did the same thing before starting my training and I even had him do the EKG for grins. So far so good. Knock Knock.

Dave

Sounds about right. You got the First Class, don't sweat it. Some AMEs are just easier than others.

TIP: Don't use your AME as your doctor. You don't want the guy deciding on your career to know anything more than what is required to pass the tests. If he hears EVERY THING WRONG WITH YOU then it can create problems. I am not saying "You can lie", but you can ask questions of a non-career deciding doctor without worry that you are going to get your medical stripped.

My 1st Class Medical Experience...

When I scheduled the appointment, I was told to bring like $125 cash for payment... weird.

When I got there I filled out the big ol' form... when I got down to medical conditions, I checked off the "Depression" box cause from what I remember there were harsh penalties if you lie on it.

When I met the doctor, I quickly discovered she was a b!+©h... just a real nasty attitude, you know. The general exam was just unpleasant. She seemed to be in a hurry... I didn't even get a chance to stand up straight when she measured my height. When I took the drug test, rather than pee in a cup and dip the strip in, I had to pee on the strip itself. Trying to line up Little Elvis with that tiny strip ain't as fun as it sounds. And of course I didn't have to pee, so after five minutes I went out to the water fountain and downed a gallon or so, which got things flowing.

Then later she told me that I could not get a 1st Class Medical, because I was only 18, and I did not need one. I explained I was planning on applying at ERAU, FIT, DWC, etc. and I needed a 1st or 2nd class for flight training and she didn't want to hear it... she said I wasn't going to be flying airliners any time soon.

So she gave me a 3rd class... not what I came in for, but of course the price was still the same. And on the way out, the receptionist lady told me to "make sure I don't go flyin' into any buildings now." I didn't find that to be in good comic taste, being that 3000 people died that day and all...

Then, a week later I get a call back saying I have to return the 3rd class certificate because they didn't notice until just then I had checked the "depression" box, which was actually my mistake because I had yet to be diagnosed, yet alone prescribed medication.

A few months later I recieved a letter from everyone's favorite goverenment agency, the FAA, regarding my application and how I need to update them on my condition.

This was back in Jan. '02 and I'm still on anti-depressants and am not sure what to do. Blah.....

One of the best things you could do would be to join AOPA and talk to their folks about getting help with your medical. They also have a list of AME's in your area. It may be a good idea to talk to other local pilots about who they use for their medicals. They can point you to someone who is not as expensive and has a better personality. Good luck!!

Holy crap, that's terrible.

Some pointers:

(a) Unless you're diagnosed with clinical depression, don't check the box. I'm not sure of this exactly, but this may also be a "deal breaker" when it comes to looking for employment.

(b) You can get a class one medical at 18. If they're not willing to issue a class one medical "because you really don't need it" but are medically qualified for issuance; put your clothes back on, walk to the front counter and ask for your money back.

(c) Ask around your local pilots or FBO for a doctor that they trust. Perhaps someone on the website here might know of a friendly, positive flight surgeon in your area. I, for one, am extremely sensitive about who I go to for physicals because they pretty much have your career on the line.

Hey Doug:
If the above individual were to be treated for the depression and eventually taken off meds, I believe he could qualify for a 1st class medical with proper documentation and a good interval med-free(1 year?). Would an airline hold this against him if he say, applied 5 years in the future? I'm sure the airline medical form will ask about this, but when you say 'deal breaker' does that include depression and/or anxiety successfully treated in the past?

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Doug:
If the above individual were to be treated for the depression and eventually taken off meds, I believe he could qualify for a 1st class medical with proper documentation and a good interval med-free(1 year?). Would an airline hold this against him if he say, applied 5 years in the future? I'm sure the airline medical form will ask about this, but when you say 'deal breaker' does that include depression and/or anxiety successfully treated in the past?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not even sure. Hey! You know what, click airlineapps.com and send then your question.

The founder, Plato Rhyne (SR), did all of the pilot hiring for Delta and he could probably give you a good answer on that! That might be the straightest, most direct answer from the guys that did all of the pilot selection at a major airline.

Yeah, I realize now checking that box was a mistake, 'cause I hadn't even been diagnosed with anything yet, but I wasn't clinically or severely depressed, it was just slight depression, like feeling down in the dumps for longer than I should have, mainly due to 9/11, but I am definitely feeling better now, and I always feel better when I'm flying.

Also I'm gonna start backin' off the meds this spring because I'm improving so when I do I'll have to contact the FAA and figure out what I do from there.

Depression is treatable, I've been treatin it for almost a year and so everything should work out. I know it ain't gonna be with me forever.

Also, I'm sure I'm not the only pilot to feel like pure crap ever since 9/11... I'm sure there's others out there who've been through it, maybe they can even post some info about what eventually happened...

Anyway, I'm done ramblin'... gettin late... spose I'll retire to my blanketed unit
wink.gif

As far as Aloha Island Air goes as long as you are able to pass a first class medical from any AME, you're good to go! They don't really go indepth on the medical unless you give the airline a reason to!

Back