Got a letter from the TSA

They'll get over it. Most of them don't stick around long anyway.
I love when someone else with the blue uniform of authority shows up as the supervisor.

"No sir, I need to talk to someone that wears a suit and has an office. You know...the person in charge."

-mini

I love when someone else with the blue uniform of authority shows up as the supervisor.

"No sir, I need to talk to someone that wears a suit and has an office. You know...the person in charge."

-mini

HAHAHA. I don't even want to get started griping about those tardfarmers...

ANYHOW, REGARDING THE LETTER>>>>>

I talked to Nan Gaylord (anyone in Oklahoma knows her)... she is a DPE. So I told her about this letter you guys got, and she just laughed. File it in the round drawer and forget about it. Let those idiots come find you. Can you imagine how nut-less the screeners must feel outside of the airport? I'd love to see one on public transit or something, or in line at McDonalds... I've heard of TSA screeners butting to the front of the line in an airport McDonalds... absolutely NO WAY i'd sit there idle.

A good advice to you , put that letter in a drawer and consider it archives :)
as long as you are a US citizen , they can kiss your genital situation .

I wouldn't even bother replying, man. If they're that curious, make them waste the resources to contact you like an adult.

Almost like the monthly emails I get from people saying, "Blah blah blah... deleted my post... blah blah blah... violation of my constitutional rights... .blah blah blah... I'm gonna SOO! blah blah blah"

Lawyer up and have him write me something legally compelling on paper.

I got the same letter, I went on the link and just did it. I printed out my certificate and mailed them their silly letter back with the certificate. I hope that's the last I hear from them. But it probably won't be.

I think there is a new initiative for local TSA agents who deal with GA ops to get out into the community and make sure everyone is following their rules. I have operated as a CFI since 2003 and owned/operated a flight school since 2005. I had never heard a peep from the TSA.......until two weeks ago.

All of a sudden, they realize that there is a flight school in Liberty, Missouri and they want to check records. I said sure, no problem. They wanted to come in the same day. Ummmm, no. How about a week? No problem. They come in, spent 30 minutes with me looking at records. It was a total joke; all they did was look at the records of our current international students and one domestic student. They also asked to see the silly security training for certificates for everyone on staff. It was capped off with a nice 15 minute ride to the airport so they could snap pictures of three of our airplanes.

I will say this: they were very nice and respectful. Not at ALL like the TSA goons at airport security screening check points. We even discussed how ridiculous those people are as well as how asinine all the TSA rules are.

The best quote from them, as they are filling out their government inspection checklist: "What the hell are they asking on this line? That makes no sense. Ah well, we will just say you comply with that and not worry about it." Yeah, they said that about 10 times.....

The best quote from them, as they are filling out their government inspection checklist: "What the hell are they asking on this line? That makes no sense. Ah well, we will just say you comply with that and not worry about it." Yeah, they said that about 10 times.....

:rotfl::rotfl:

We had a guy in a "TSA INSPECTOR" Black sport polo closely followed by two "DHS Police" in our flight school yesterday... I suppose they were doing the same thing.

RD

Just...awesome.

Why can't you comply with a lawful request?

Because it is none of their business if someone is "actively" instructing. If they want to review my records, fine. Mass mailing people out of the FAA database is a waste of time and money. If they can't even run it through MS Word's mail merge to have my name in the letter, I am not going to go out of my way to send them any information about myself.

Does the TSA even have jurisdiction to question you how you're using your certificates? We are a nation of laws.

I haven't plumbed on a 727 in maybe 11 years, but if they wrote me to ask about HOW I'm using my FE certificate, ooh, I just got me some new scratch paper for my office desk.

Why can't you comply with a lawful request?

It's also lawful to do nothing. Says it right there in the letter. You may not find it to be a big deal to comply with a favor request, but some people yawn and say "do something for me first."

Does the TSA even have jurisdiction to question you how you're using your certificates? We are a nation of laws.

I haven't plumbed on a 727 in maybe 11 years, but if they wrote me to ask about HOW I'm using my FE certificate, ooh, I just got me some new scratch paper for my office desk.

I don't think they can do anything unless they catch you in the act of violating any of their policies. If you're at an airport, you have to provide a reason to be there (ID badge or whatever). If you're with a student at an airport and they ask for proof that you've complied with their policies, you may have to by some point. If you're with a student off airport property or otherwise not on airport property, they're powerless on their own.

My other beef with the TSA is how they'll cut you in line, order like six coffees in JFK and don't pay jack.

Back