Got a letter from the Academy

sorrygottarunway

I got a little nervous reading this letter... it reads like a form letter. Just sounded like a "step right up! step right up" type of a deal...

Dear Brendan,
"I spoke with our VP of Ops, Mr. John O'Brien, and he asked me to send you some additional information. Both Mr. O'Brien and I are delighted that you are interested in DCA and hope we have answered most of your important questions...."

([ Its funny, but every letter I get from DeltaConnection has this as a header: someone else "asked me" to give you more info, "I was just notified you were interested" and though I'd send some info, "we are both pleased" )
"...The simple fact is you are looking for a careers as an Airline Pilot. Because we are airline owned and operated, we have access to the First Officer positions no other school can offer. In addition, through our program, you will reach the Guaranteed Airline Job interview faster than any other program offered in the USA. At DCA, your instructorship will last approximately 12 months, while at other schools, in order to be competitive to interview with an airline,you will need to instruct anywhere from 3 to 4 years. Clearly, DCA offers you the most direct path to an airline. I would appreciate you completing the enclosed airline-job-application that will be put in your file. This application will be used during your Guaranteed Airline Job Interview. As you can see, it's apparent you've picked the right school.

Mr. O'Brien has also asked me to extend an invitation for you to visit our facility. Call today so I can arrange for you to fly on Delta absolutely FREE..."

(I also find this a bit funny, since I visited DCA in October...I was impressed with the facility, but I then saw the price tag, and turned scared about the amount of debt I'd be in. )

How does this letter sound to you?

Familiar.

When I was looking at different schools, I received the same letter (albeit with the Comair Academy logo).

It's a form letter.

Typical recruting-poster stuff. I've flown with some CAA/DCA grads and they are pretty good pilots, but neither one of them is anywhere near Delta or its DCI partners. So don't believe the nonsense that you're on the short track for a guaranteed right seat at Comair or elsewhere!

FWIW ...

FL270

Sounds like a letter I've gotten before
cool.gif

I have just stumbled into a wonderful relationship with my FBO... I love my instructor, and my job at the front desk has most certainly improved my relationship with the other instructors and staff. It feels very much at home for me to be at the airport. 3 months ago, it was a different story when I began with them. Heck, isn't that an eventual airline "connection?"

Somehow, this above argument never works when Im on the phone with the academies. "You don't want to be an instructor, you want to be an airline pilot!"

Uhh yeah, but I'm sure as hell gonna have fun being an instructor!

I got the same letter a few months ago. Right afterwards they sent me a letter telling me that their regional airlines wanted to hire me sight unseen and included a 'pre-employment application' to fill out. All I had to do was rank my preferred airlines in order. Something to the effect of "Let's get the ball rolling! Come on down and start training with us!" Apparently I made such a great impression when I spoke with them on the phone they KNEW I'd be a great pilot and wanted to get the ball rolling before I'd even spent one logged hour in a plane . . .
wink.gif

I'm glad that I'm where I am. I'm very happy here. However, I know that it's to each his own. Hopefully the people at DCA are happy and getting what they were after. Good thing we have schools to fit almost anyone's learning styles and goals; it sure would stink if we didn't have the options that we do!

Later!

-PhotoPilot

I remember when I was looking I got that letter also and went to visit it when it was Comair. I got another letter about a week or so later inviting to visit them. I laughed and knew then I would be a number. They had no idea who visiting and who wasnt.

I had a whole stack of those letters from all of the big academies sitting around until I found a better use for them...starting fires...

I recieved several BS brochures from Westwind and fancy folders full of so called "direct path to the right seat" . The only topic they wanted to discuss when they called was loan information.

OH MY GOSH!

I didn't read the back:

"Rank Order 1 through 5 the Airline you would want to work for most upon graduation, with 1 being your first choice and 5 being your last choice. Today, these airlines are hiring and our Academy Instructor Graduates are getting interviews and First Officer positions. Upon Graduation, we will ask you to update this ranking."

God, I wonder what they would do if I crossed it out and put "any airline with an opening will do!" It seems like the guy #5 will be mighty insulted, cutting off any hiring chances!

Those guys regularly browse the forums, perhaps they'll chime in and describe the letter?

Yeah, I've gotten all the same letters from DCA. Some of there stuff...neh, most of it made me want to vomit, a lot of it was direct insult to my intelligence.

[ QUOTE ]
I remember when I was looking I got that letter also and went to visit it when it was Comair. I got another letter about a week or so later inviting to visit them. I laughed and knew then I would be a number. They had no idea who visiting and who wasnt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyhow, I work in college admissions (woohoo!
cool.gif
--though it's really not as exciting as it sounds
wink.gif
) and you gotta realize how many prospects they have to keep track of and how many letters go through their office. I'm sure they do keep track of who visits, but since your letter came so quickly after your visit, it was probably on it's way to the mail as you were on your way to visit.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. My invite arrived the same day as my thank you for visiting letter.

[ QUOTE ]
Same here. My invite arrived the same day as my thank you for visiting letter.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYI,

Most of you know by now I am one of the admissions officers here. While we may call a student and thank them for touring, Delta Connection Academy does not actively send out a "thank you for visiting letter."

I started at Sierra Academy in October and today I got a similar letter. FROM SIERRA ACADEMY! I guess some paperwork didn't get transferred correctly.

nonono wasn't expecting a thank you note... besides, Delta was the one that flew me down there for free*. I just found it funny, know how hard it is to get an airline job, knowing also full well that before I even think about an actual job with any place, there's the blood, debt and tears to go through, why the heck would I know where I would want to work now at this stage? It just didn't seem to make sense and/or seemed like a wierd marketing ploy (as in, OH BOY, they already are lining themselves up to hire me! I actually have to CHOOSE my favorite airline... uhh no, it doesn't work that way.)

* for $125 dollars.

You know....the marketing techniques and the ads the big academies use to suck people in make me wanna puke....

They mislead you about the industry and dishonor the profession with their tactics.

I'm suprised more DCA guys haven't spoken up because I know they regularly read the forum.

Has anyone else noticed Westwind's new ads in Flying and such. The headline reads "Airline Rebound." Now, the catch is, a few months ago their ads read something alongthe lines of "Airlines Are Hiring." So, isn't part of the definition of the word "rebound" state that at some point whatever is "rebounding" was down? So ... they're essentially saying they've been lying over eh past year or so.
cool.gif

Back