Goodyear Airship Pilot - Gardena, CA

I have to wonder two things:
A) Why would you need a CDL license?
b) How many pilots typically have a CDL? I am guessing besides Van and I, not too many. (Which means I could have a shot at blimpin!):buck:

I've recently received my Class B instruction permit. Once the summer progresses some I may drop the word on why, as a pilot, I will need it.:)

I've recently received my Class B instruction permit. Once the summer progresses some I may drop the word on why, as a pilot, I will need it.:)

It sure can never hurt to have one. I have my class A CDL from my truck driving days. Nice thing is, it's for life so if I'm ever in the market for a blimp driving job it'll come in handy:)

I rode in the DirectTV blimp last year during qualifying for the final NASCAR race of the season in Homestead, Florida. If the "schedule" wasn't so bad I would definitely do it. The QOL has to be terrible though. Those guys are out of town about 340 days per year.

But... as the PIC said. Speed is all relative. He was definitely right. It was the most fun I have had flying. It was awesome. Being in the blimp for the "landing" was a crazy experience. Any sudden bad wind or weather could easily destroy the blimp or seriously injure the people on the ground. The ground crew is definitely a dangerous job.

Here's a bunch of pictures.

http://johnnytriplesticks.smugmug.com/gallery/3844256_JvKcA#222396806_BXRe3

John

Cool pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Some people also refer to a California Driver's License as a CDL.
They also mention a CDL in the job postings for their Florida and Ohio bases. I'm pretty sure in this context they mean a commercial license for driving the support equipment.

I wonder if one can make more driving a truck than flying an airship?

Back