Goodyear Airship Pilot - Gardena, CA

Berkut

https://goodyear.recruitmax.com/ENG/candidates/default.cfm?szCategory=jobprofile&szOrderID=13677

Be a part of the famous Goodyear tradition.

Are you an aviator who is passionate about flying? Are you an excellent communicator who is comfortable speaking to groups of people and the media? Do you have the outstanding management skills required to oversee the airship team? If this sounds like you, this could be your chance to pilot one of the world's most recognized symbols, the Spirit of America! This is a rare and exciting opportunity for a dedicated aviator to experience the control and handling of an aircraft as unique as the Goodyear blimp. Not only that, you will have the opportunity to earn your “Lighter-Than-Air Certification” as a Goodyear Blimp Pilot! Even if you already have it, you've got to admit that the chance to pilot one of the world's most recognized icons is just too great to pass up.

The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company is as famous for our blimps as we are for our tires and other automotive products… if not more so. We launched our first airship, the Pilgrim, in 1925 and now all three Goodyear icons - the Spirit of Goodyear, the Spirit of America and the Spirit of Innovation - fly year-round throughout the US. There's a certain magic that goes along with the challenge of being professionally involved with a Goodyear airship. You can discover that feeling yourself when you join us at our Los Angeles, California-area blimp airfield as a Pilot.

As a Goodyear Blimp Pilot, you will operate an assigned airship safely, effectively and efficiently to assure optimum utilization of that aircraft for favorable exposure of the Goodyear name. In concert with the Pilot-in-Charge, the Pilot accomplishes public relations assignments by planning, organizing, directing, operating, maintaining and administering a specific airship operation which includes airship, personnel and ground support equipment. The pilot also acts as the Goodyear Blimp Spokesperson, speaking to the public and the media, fielding questions and ensuring that the Goodyear reputation for excellence and professionalism is never compromised. As the sole pilot aboard, the Pilot commands and is responsible for the aircraft and functional operation during take-off, flight and landing. Assists and assumes command in the absence of the Pilot-in-Charge in the supervision of operations personnel in order to fulfill operations' missions in compliance with FAA regulations and company policy.

Activities requiring outside contact include conferring with vendors, news media, airport management, motel managers (travel and tour arrangements) and the public, customers and potential customers. The Pilot assists in forward planning of airship mission requirements with respect to travel accommodations (airports and motels) and movement of the airship and ground support service vehicles and airship personnel. Additionally, the pilot assists the Pilot-in-Charge in ensuring compliance with all company standard practices and policies.

While flying the airship, the Pilot will obtain maximum exposure of the company name by achieving optimum flight time of the airship through pilot and crew efforts. Note: Optimum flight time to meet public relations requirements within the safety and operations parameters of airship design.

The pilot assists in reviewing, evaluating and controlling airship operations functions in order to maintain and operate an efficient, safe and professionally staffed flying operation.

Traveling up to 180 days per year with consecutive extended periods, the Airship Pilot guides the Goodyear Blimp to a variety of venues throughout the United States that can include NFL, NBA, MLB, college football and NASCAR events, as well as the Academy Awards.

Requirements include:
o Current Commercial Pilot with instrument rating (airplane or helicopter rating) with minimum 500 hours.
o Minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent
o Minimum second-class medical certificate
o Willingness to travel for extended periods of time
o Blimp Transition Course (okay, okay, I made this one up. -B.)

Preferred, but not required:
o Commercial Lighter-Than-Air Airship rating
o A & P certification
o Certified Flight Instructor
o FCC license
o CDL
o College degree

Goodyear, with marketing operations in nearly every country around the world, offers a highly competitive compensation package commensurate with education and experience, as well as the opportunity to work with an industry leader. Please note that this position does not offer relocation assistance.

If you meet the above criteria and are interested in working in a rewarding, yet challenging environment, please apply online.

The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants must be lawfully authorized to work in the US.

I'm not sure if by "FCC License" they mean the standard Restricted Radiotelephone Permit, or the General Radiotelephone Operator License which is much harder to obtain.
GROLs are typically held by maintenance personnel who deal with avionics.

I have to wonder two things:
A) Why would you need a CDL license?
b) How many pilots typically have a CDL? I am guessing besides Van and I, not too many. (Which means I could have a shot at blimpin!):buck:

I have to wonder two things:
A) Why would you need a CDL license?

Have you seen the size of the blimp?

b) How many pilots typically have a CDL? I am guessing besides Van and I, not too many. (Which means I could have a shot at blimpin!):buck:

I actually know quite a few, including myself at one time until the state of Florida wanted to charge me an outrageous amount of money to keep it on my license when I moved there. Lots of guys with ag backgrounds have them, I know a few seasonal pilots that drive truck in the off-season.

since the require an IFR rating I gotta know, what is the approach speed of the blimp?!? 12, maybe 13 knots?

"Tower, goodyear one two, ILS 30, circle to land blimp pad 2."

Tower: "goodyear one-two, are you moving?"

since the require an IFR rating I gotta know, what is the approach speed of the blimp?!? 12, maybe 13 knots?

HAHAHHAH thats funny.

Tower: "goodyear one-two, you are going in the opp direction!"

Blimp: no sir, we are actually just getting blown by the wind, so your radar shows us going the other way'

added a bit :D

seriously, I see them every day. ATC likes to say,
"traffic, 12 oclock, 2 miles, same altitude, an airship, do you have it in site"

I like to reply with one of 2 things:

"gasbag in site"
or
"nope, still looking for traffic..."

any idea what the pay is?

That would be a neat opportunity! I've always been fascinated by lighter than air flight, particularly airships. Sure, it's not the great rigid ships of the past (and of many current concepts), but a nonrigid ship would still be very interesting to fly.

This is probably why they have their own private airport to land at here in Akron, Ohio.

This is probably why they have their own private airport to land at here in Akron, Ohio.

the have a place here in LA too. I don't think I would call it an airport. it is more like a patch of grass with a pole in the middle to tie it down too.

I actually got to go up a few months ago and ride in the right seat, pretty cool experience. Those pilots are the definitions of "hand flying" they are working hard the entire time. We flew over akron-fulton airport and and university of akron. I asked a pilot how an ifr approach is in the blimp, all he had to say in reply was ".....slow."

the have a place here in LA too. I don't think I would call it an airport. it is more like a patch of grass with a pole in the middle to tie it down too.

In Akron they have a little landing strip next to the big blimp hanger.

I rode in the DirectTV blimp last year during qualifying for the final NASCAR race of the season in Homestead, Florida. If the "schedule" wasn't so bad I would definitely do it. The QOL has to be terrible though. Those guys are out of town about 340 days per year.

But... as the PIC said. Speed is all relative. He was definitely right. It was the most fun I have had flying. It was awesome. Being in the blimp for the "landing" was a crazy experience. Any sudden bad wind or weather could easily destroy the blimp or seriously injure the people on the ground. The ground crew is definitely a dangerous job.

Here's a bunch of pictures.

http://johnnytriplesticks.smugmug.com/gallery/3844256_JvKcA#222396806_BXRe3

John

Back