Good news for Mesaba poolies

I actually have my bid in from MEM. I didn't think you wanted more senior people to come down there?;)

Ehh, as long as you take the place of one of the other senior captains I got no beef. HAHA. There are gonna be +20 street captains under me one way or the other.

Hey, looks like another revision on the vacancy award, now its 19+15= 34 new hires?

I guess the question now is what will the hiring be like for the rest of the year? I imagine the new hires to follow won't be of this magnitude, but then again, no one saw the size of the September class coming either. Hopefully, this is a sign of some good things coming your way.

I guess the question now is what will the hiring be like for the rest of the year? I imagine the new hires to follow won't be of this magnitude, but then again, no one saw the size of the September class coming either. Hopefully, this is a sign of some good things coming your way.

Only thing I can foresee happening is more -200's... Le Sigh. Hoping for best and expecting worst :)

Edit: I should say -200's is a long shot from 9E, I really don't expect anything else hitting the property in the near future.

Sounds like a good reason for the pay. I know pay is only part of the equation! Trust me after nearly a year here at PSA and getting kicked to the curb I understand that. There are many questions I have for you all about Mesaba. If any of you would not mind sending me a PM if you are willing to discuss things at Mesaba I'd greatly appreciate it. As we all know there is much more to the equation and going through a second ground school in a year would be fun (sarcasm). But at this point I think I might be willing to depending on how you all feel about Mesaba and how things are looking. I noticed you all have 29 crj900 and are suppose to be up to 36 by the years end? Is this the reason for the hiring? Also as you may know if you are already qualified in the CRJ200/700 is Mesaba much like other carriers and they'd be keeping you in the aircraft you already know, or would there be a chance they place you into a Sabb? Anyone willing to speak about things let me know. I'd love to talk more later!

Does anybody know what kind of times the new hires are getting on with? I've had my app in for 3 weeks or so, and am curious to know what they consider competitive now.

Does anybody know what kind of times the new hires are getting on with? I've had my app in for 3 weeks or so, and am curious to know what they consider competitive now.

The guy I'm talking to in HR repeats, much like a skipping CD, "it all depends". :) These days it seems like that statement is followed by "who you know".

Ours our from a 5 year old contract that is in concessions.

And that would still be a newer contract by 4 years. I was gonna say "Mesaba's contract includes concessions from bankruptcy" as a defense for you guys, but you (and I'm talking you specifically, not Mesaba pilots) never seem to miss an opportunity to slam on Pinnacle. Just wondering why that is? Besides, you're a first year FO on the -900 at Mesaba, you're not making more than a second year FO on the -900 at Pinnacle. That was a factually flawed statement. Making more than a -200 FO, yeah. But not on the -900. In fact, a 2nd year FO on the -900 at Pinnacle makes more than a 3rd year FO on the -900 at Mesaba.

Arguing the whole "my regional is less sucky than your regional" gets us no where. You coulda made your point without even bringing Pinnacle into the argument.....

You coulda made your point without even bringing Pinnacle into the argument.....
Well I think you'll find he brought up SKW first and he used your airline also to illustrate a fact.
I wouldn't get too indignant about it. Besides you guys are getting a new contract soon. 3 years without one; just the law of big numbers say something has to break your way someday. Then hopefully your contract is better than ours, then someday we'll use yours to springboard above you. Then someday you can buy me a powerbagel and a coffee at the C concourse with that big pay raise of yours :).

PS. as an ex-colgan employee I do say Pinnacle sucks and will slam them any time I can. I don't think most of the guys with me at MEM would agree. Once that contract is done let the numbers do the talking.

I tend to agree with Jynxyjoe in that it probably does depend on who you know. From what I understand, applicants have been sending in resumes with like 260/10. I have no idea if any of those got hired so I guess I'm not a huge help here but I guess if you know someone it can only help you. I applied about two weeks ago and I'm at 575/75. It's probably going to take time to get to anyone that's applied recently. From the sounds of it, those that just got the call had their applications in for a couple of months or so. If hiring continues we might get calls sooner but we'll just have to wait and see.

Well I think you'll find he brought up SKW first and he used your airline also to illustrate a fact.
I wouldn't get too indignant about it. Besides you guys are getting a new contract soon. 3 years without one; just the law of big numbers say something has to break your way someday. Then hopefully your contract is better than ours, then someday we'll use yours to springboard above you. Then someday you can buy me a powerbagel and a coffee at the C concourse with that big pay raise of yours :).

I guess I'm just frustrated since management, once again, pulled a fast one on us this week. We met with them working on PBS stuff for weeks, had a deal worked out, then when mediated negotiations rolled around, management changed the deal in favor of them.....again. So, we're right back where we were over a month ago despite having made progress. I'd like to know when "soon" is gonna be. As of last week, we were pretty sure we could get a deal hammered out by the end of the week since it was basically down to scope. Then the company decided they were gonna go back on their word with PBS and sent us back. What did this do? Pissed off about 1300 pilots. It's not pretty right now. It was bad three months ago, and I think the right speaker coulda gotten the crew room burned down yesterday. As it is, we've hit the "no more" line. Personally, I'm not doing any extra unless it helps a passenger.

As for the power bagel and coffee, heck, why wait for a pay raise. I'll meet ya over there any time. :)

PS. as an ex-colgan employee I do say Pinnacle sucks and will slam them any time I can. I don't think most of the guys with me at MEM would agree. Once that contract is done let the numbers do the talking.

IMO, that's no exactly fair. The pilots are doing everything we can, so it's frustrating when everyone else looks down their noses at us. We didn't ask for management to buy Colgan, and Colgan pilots sure as hell didn't ask to be bought. I can think of 1001 better things to do with that money (and the money that's been bleeding out of the coffers every quarter thanks to Colgan). Slam management all ya want, and I'll happily join you. But the pilots are doing everything they can to make it better. Just sometimes seems like no one really cares that we are, though.

IMO, that's no exactly fair. The pilots are doing everything we can, so it's frustrating when everyone else looks down their noses at us. We didn't ask for management to buy Colgan, and Colgan pilots sure as hell didn't ask to be bought. I can think of 1001 better things to do with that money (and the money that's been bleeding out of the coffers every quarter thanks to Colgan). Slam management all ya want, and I'll happily join you. But the pilots are doing everything they can to make it better. Just sometimes seems like no one really cares that we are, though.

You know what, you're right, my beef is with 9E management. I do enjoy talking to the pilots i've met over there. I am, and so is walter, looking forward to the day when you guys get a good contract and i hope it's better than ours: it just gives us more fodder for next turn at negotiations. I know its hard to tell when i am slamming 9E management and when I'm slamming the pilots (just a couple of your young FO's who told my FO he should be making $18 bucks an hour and that Mesaba was a turboprop carrier and nothing more), I'll do a better job next time.

PM sent for my contact info. Coffee is on me first round.

(just a couple of your young FO's who told my FO he should be making $18 bucks an hour and that Mesaba was a turboprop carrier and nothing more)

Really that attitude is my main gripe about 9e. Commuting with a couple 9e fo's who turned down the job early last summer at XJ because they would have been in the saab. I guess with 500 hours they are to awsome to fly a TP. My other gripe is aviator sunglasses/sunglasses hanging off the epaulettes. I seriously hope it is some under ground thing anouncing their homosexaulity because that I can respect. Other wise they are just dou che bags. Most of the people are pretty normal. My cousin was an LCA at 9e for years.

Oh and the whole .....We are going to buy Mesaba rumor. Atleast our lame rumors are all internal for the most part.

On a side note I look at a lot of our 900 FO's and say to myself Mesaba the new Pinnacle.:rolleyes:

An yes my initial reference was to how our first year pay was compared to other companies, OO & 9E just being examples.

Sounds like a good reason for the pay. I know pay is only part of the equation! Trust me after nearly a year here at PSA and getting kicked to the curb I understand that. There are many questions I have for you all about Mesaba. If any of you would not mind sending me a PM if you are willing to discuss things at Mesaba I'd greatly appreciate it. As we all know there is much more to the equation and going through a second ground school in a year would be fun (sarcasm). But at this point I think I might be willing to depending on how you all feel about Mesaba and how things are looking. I noticed you all have 29 crj900 and are suppose to be up to 36 by the years end? Is this the reason for the hiring? Also as you may know if you are already qualified in the CRJ200/700 is Mesaba much like other carriers and they'd be keeping you in the aircraft you already know, or would there be a chance they place you into a Sabb? Anyone willing to speak about things let me know. I'd love to talk more later!

We actually have 31 900's now. Yes that is the reason for the hiring. That and we got 15 crj 200's from 9e(17 total). In a year and a half we have taken in 51 new planes.

Just curious why you are so critical ouf the XJ pay scale for FO's when it is similar to PSA's?
XJ (Dec 1, 08)------- PSA( apc.com)
24.22 ----------------23
29.04 ----------------30
31.88 ----------------32
34.73 ----------------36

I think they would stick you were they need you. We have a lot of people who came from a variety of airlines that are on the saab. If you were lucky you would get the Saab. More movement will happen there because the saab has the majority of senior FO's. So when things like upgrading happens here they will be the first to leave and you will move up the saab fo list. Most of the 900 FO's are on the bottom 1/3 of our list so if you are on the bottom their your relative movement will be much much less. You will block more hours on the Saab as well. Pay being equal means you make more $ there. If you want specific facts feel free to PM me.

105/149(71%) of the current 900 FO's are in the bottom 1/3 on the list!!
vs.
95/228(41%) of the Saab FO's in the bottom 1/3.

Only 7/149 900 FO's are in the top 50% and can upgrade at their choosing. The bottom of the 900 list is a log jam FO' SHO'!!!!

Really that attitude is my main gripe about 9e. Commuting with a couple 9e fo's who turned down the job early last summer at XJ because they would have been in the saab. I guess with 500 hours they are to awsome to fly a TP. My other gripe is aviator sunglasses/sunglasses hanging off the epaulettes. I seriously hope it is some under ground thing anouncing their homosexaulity because that I can respect. Other wise they are just dou che bags. Most of the people are pretty normal. My cousin was an LCA at 9e for years.

In that case, I strongly share your frustration. Those FOs are flabergasted when I tell them they're nuts for turning down the job. A Saab is an airplane that burns Jet A. So is a CRJ. They both get people form point A to point B, and, frankly, I think Mesaba might have better career advancement opportunities than Pinnacle. 'Course those same FOs probably came here b/c they thought they'd upgrade at 2000 hours and make the big $$$. Well, with the mentor program scrapped and upgrades more or less stone walled for a while, they're stuck.

Oh and the whole .....We are going to buy Mesaba rumor. Atleast our lame rumors are all internal for the most part.

I love it when I hear that one. :sarcasm: I think I've debunked that one at least 20 times in the past 6 months. We don't have the cash, and NorthDelta would put a stop to it probably anyway. It just won't friggin die.

On a side note I look at a lot of our 900 FO's and say to myself Mesaba the new Pinnacle.:rolleyes:

Sadly, I think it's at most of the regionals now. I blame JetU and all the other "get to the right seat of an RJ FAST!!!! programs" like it.

We aren't getting more 900's(and pretty much can't because of the scope in JPWA). The next FO that starts small talk with "I hear we are getting more 900's" I'm going to have a seizure.

While I also think its funny how many rumors are out there as to the cause of the new movement, you have to admit that the sudden change in numbers, opening up applications for check airmen and applications for FA OE instructors all at the same time is enough to make you wonder.

Unless something official comes out all we have to go by is if the hiring continues, or if it drops off again i guess.

Either way I like it!

Edit:

Oh and on top of the others...I noticed we are now hiring for sim instructors and ground instructors too......

Back