Going to ATP Long Beach

dpgtime

I have decided to go to the Long Beach location starting next month sometime. Just looking for any comments from pilots that have attended and can give me a sense of the instructors and If that is a better location than KRAL.

Honestly don't know any people on here who have been through LGB recently. There are two instructors at that location, I know one of them. He is really cool. RAL has two new instructors who came from another location. Again, I don't think anyone on here has been through RAL since the two new guys showed up. There may be someone who is there currently, I'm not sure. Good luck where ever you go.

I am one of the "two new instructors" from ATP Jax to transfer to Riverside. This is a fantastic location with top notch instruction (can't sell myself short lol).. but seriously we live and breathe aviation here at KRAL and hope to share that passion with incoming students.

...but seriously we live and breathe aviation here at KRAL and hope to share that passion with incoming students.
But... what about the rumors that all big school instructors don't care about their students and provide sub-par instruction? ;)

Thanks for the insight on ATP. I know KRAL very well. My CFI has all her students fly from home base KVNY to KRAL for their checkrides. Did my Private ride there with a Thomas Hamm fellow....Awesome DE!!! Very fair and makes one feel comfortable. On another note, flew to Hemet the other day, should have stopped in and said Howdy. Nothing in Hemet but a nice Cafe and the worlds largest collection of actively driven F150's...

Did my Private ride there with a Thomas Hamm fellow....Awesome DE!!! Very fair and makes one feel comfortable...

Tom is great, just met him recently as he did a private multi check ride for my student. My student was very pleased with Tom and the manner in which he conducted himself.

I am one of the "two new instructors" from ATP Jax to transfer to Riverside. This is a fantastic location with top notch instruction (can't sell myself short lol).. but seriously we live and breathe aviation here at KRAL and hope to share that passion with incoming students.
Anyone at RAL qualified to instruct for initial CFI?

"Did my Private ride there with a Thomas Hamm fellow....Awesome DE!!! Very fair and makes one feel comfortable."

I concur. He did my overwater line check to HNL and back to release me to the line at a Capt. Very laid back guy. And he's my boss....

RAL as a location is awesome. The terrain makes for some interesting approaches. Gotta love doing slow flight and have your DE say hmmm, lets make a turn before we hit the mountain. Or maybe not love? MEAs of 11,000' are fun in a Seminole that can barely make it.

As for the instruction at RAL, I can no longer comment. I think its pretty ####ed up how ATP let go 3 great guys, maybe there is more to the story, but one was my CFI and he was great, the other went through the program just after me and I knew him fairly well and have much respect for him.

I used to make a trip out to RAL for some cross country time from VNY. An update since yesterday....I went to ATP Long Beach yesterday and was very pleased. I met the two instructors and have a great feeling about both. They were very gracious and helpful. The sim was fun, got to do some single engine flying and landings, and did a no vis ILS KLGB. I think LGB is where I'll attend.

P.S. That pic of all you at the table brings back memories of KRAL. That table is where I did my pacing before my Tom Hamm checker. KRAL must have been fun to attend..other than the dilapidated VOR that never works.

P.S. That pic of all you at the table brings back memories of KRAL. That table is where I did my pacing before my Tom Hamm checker. KRAL must have been fun to attend..other than the dilapidated VOR that never works.

Which picture is that? The one outside of the cafe?

youre a scab! lol, just kidding. i just know the guys that all got "let go" and were replaced by you. There was no reason given to the other instructors, just that JK wanted to change things up and bring in new faces to Riverside. Kinda sucks for the 3 instructors that were let go.

A couple of questions. Even though Long Beach is listed as a "Self-Paced" location only, is it possible to get through in the 90 days there as well? Second, where are students living who attend the Long Beach location?

Tom is good, but so is Steve over at Cable.

Make sure and go through the VFR corridor over LAX at some point. Oh yeah, and break away for some tri-tip during the week.

75 and sunny in the winter..nice choice.

RAL as a location is awesome. The terrain makes for some interesting approaches. Gotta love doing slow flight and have your DE say hmmm, lets make a turn before we hit the mountain. Or maybe not love? MEAs of 11,000' are fun in a Seminole that can barely make it.

As for the instruction at RAL, I can no longer comment. I think its pretty ####ed up how ATP let go 3 great guys, maybe there is more to the story, but one was my CFI and he was great, the other went through the program just after me and I knew him fairly well and have much respect for him.

I sure hope you're not talking about Billy as one of the "great guys."

Back