Going to ATP Long Beach

A couple of questions. Even though Long Beach is listed as a "Self-Paced" location only, is it possible to get through in the 90 days there as well? Second, where are students living who attend the Long Beach location?

#1: It's self paced. If you have the drive, and can get the instructor to go that fast, you can do it in 90 days. I would try and get one of the instrucotrs who has experince with the fast track program.

#2: The students usually live at home. They sometimes (rarely) let the students stay in the appartments with the instructors. But since I have known anyone at ATP, I only know of 1 person who got to do that. Self paced doesn't include housing.

Finishing the Self paced in 90 days is a lofty goal. But I do think 4-5 months is very doable. The reason being, a self paced student has last priority when it comes to planes and checkrides. So you might get pushed back from time to time. let me rephrase that, It WILL happen. Just be patient and understanding of the fact that some people drive/fly from far away to get their ATP or MIFR add-on in 2 or 4 days. So if they have to bump you back to accomodate them, they will.

Good luck. If you want to do it in 90 days, why not just go to the RAL location. They have housing there. It doesnt cost extra. and you spend less time on the taxi way and more in the practice area, which is pretty much just outside RALs class D airspace. They have a mx base there, and the MX guys were great when I was there. Always willing to answer any questions we might have about the plane. In-depth answers that most students and instructors might not know.

RAL is still the greater LA area, which I assume you live in. So if you need to go home, you can just jump in your car and drive there.

If you really want to get it done in 90 days and going to be fully committed to getting it done (not working on the side), go to RAL. Otherwise you might be sitting in the LGB office getting ready to take your Intstrument checkride 90 days after your start date instead of being done had you taken my advice.;)

I plan to do the self paced, just think it is better to pace myself than the 90 day dump. Thanks for the advise!

Darren

Finishing the Self paced in 90 days is a lofty goal. But I do think 4-5 months is very doable. The reason being, a self paced student has last priority when it comes to planes and checkrides. So you might get pushed back from time to time. let me rephrase that, It WILL happen. Just be patient and understanding of the fact that some people drive/fly from far away to get their ATP or MIFR add-on in 2 or 4 days. So if they have to bump you back to accomodate them, they will.

Good luck. If you want to do it in 90 days, why not just go to the RAL location. They have housing there. It doesnt cost extra. and you spend less time on the taxi way and more in the practice area, which is pretty much just outside RALs class D airspace. They have a mx base there, and the MX guys were great when I was there. Always willing to answer any questions we might have about the plane. In-depth answers that most students and instructors might not know.

RAL is still the greater LA area, which I assume you live in. So if you need to go home, you can just jump in your car and drive there.

If you really want to get it done in 90 days and going to be fully committed to getting it done (not working on the side), go to RAL. Otherwise you might be sitting in the LGB office getting ready to take your Intstrument checkride 90 days after your start date instead of being done had you taken my advice.;)

LGB is only self paced, unless something has recently changed. So you will be prority for airplanes. They also fly mostly '00's at LGB. Don't worry too much about maint. either. The guys at RAL almost refuse to work on the '00's. The only time they will is when they absolutely have to. I brought many Seminoles from PHX to bring back one from LGB on x-countries because they was getting close to it's 100 hr, annual, etc. Not sure about the checkride situation either. I don't know if they use the same examiners at RAL as they do at LGB. I would check into it. I hear they use a guy at RAL that flies for Southwest or UPS (they both sound right, but could be wrong, memory is bad over here). He has a rep. of being very fair. In other words, if you earn your cert., you've earned it, and if you bust your ride, well, it's because you earned it.

Back when I was thinking about going to ATP (2 years ago), I would have gone to LGB had it not been for the commute. They have had a few huys come through and finish the self-paced in 90 days. But it takes a special instructor and a special student.

I plan to do the self paced, just think it is better to pace myself than the 90 day dump. Thanks for the advise!

Darren

Sorry about that DPG. I confused your psot with counselor. He was the one asking about getting it done in 90 days.

LGB is only self paced, unless something has recently changed. So you will be prority for airplanes. They also fly mostly '00's at LGB. Don't worry too much about maint. either. The guys at RAL almost refuse to work on the '00's. The only time they will is when they absolutely have to. I brought many Seminoles from PHX to bring back one from LGB on x-countries because they was getting close to it's 100 hr, annual, etc. Not sure about the checkride situation either. I don't know if they use the same examiners at RAL as they do at LGB. I would check into it. I hear they use a guy at RAL that flies for Southwest or UPS (they both sound right, but could be wrong, memory is bad over here). He has a rep. of being very fair. In other words, if you earn your cert., you've earned it, and if you bust your ride, well, it's because you earned it.

Back when I was thinking about going to ATP (2 years ago), I would have gone to LGB had it not been for the commute. They have had a few huys come through and finish the self-paced in 90 days. But it takes a special instructor and a special student.

The examiner in RAL flies for UPS. Very fair. When I was at RAL, he was my favorite to use. He is a Great guy!

The 00 models are great for x-countries but I always thought the 79s flew better. The 00s seemed touchier. To each his own I guess. I wouldnt choose a location on whether they flew 00s or 79s tho. RAL was great when i was there, and so was LGB, hopefully that hasnt changed much.

Good luck!

Back