Going to an Airport Bar

sorrygottarunway

I was recently talking to a coworker of mine about getting more exposure in the aviation field and networking... I have my PPL, but usually I'm never at the airport unless I'm going somewhere or taking a lesson. Otherwise I'm here at the office or at home or doing a number of other things.

Her thoughts about persuing a professional career include hanging out at the airport bar at our local passenger airport, Westchester Co. HPN. I am now 21, so I guess I could legally go...

I am aware of the importance of networking, and while she says she has met many a pilot/controller at this bar (she says its where they all hang out), I am not sure that this place would be the best for showing an interest/making connections. Maybe it's just me, but I've always been weary of alcohol consumption in respects to aviation- would it look bad to be sipping a beer while reading my IFR procedures book? On the other hand, if this airport bar is the hotbed that it seems, would it not be a great way to meet new people?

Might work.

I know a guy who ran into the Cecil Ewell (AA Chief pilot) at a bar years ago and ended up becoming one of the first pilots hired in 1998 when hiring resumed.

In my opinion, when you're trying to network, you've got to do the standard stuff, but nothing is really off limits. Golf courses, auto dealerships, where ever pilots go, there are networking opportunities.

I have a very good friend that got F'd (furloughed) that got a job doing line work at an airport fueling jets and ended up landing an uber-swank Falcon 900 corporate job.

Make up some el cheapo business cards and run out of them monthly. When I was jobless, I'd hit the airports, shake hands and deal out business cards like a blackjack dealer.

95% of the time, it didn't work too well, but that 5% that suceeded were the people that helped springboard my career.

Maybe you could try what your friend suggested... OH - and wear a tight little red dress and some stilettos.... that'll get you some attention.
wink.gif

Kidding.

Never rule out any avenue or any opportuntiy to NETWORK.

No one is telling you to go get falling-down hammered while carrying around "Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge".

Just go hang out, strike up conversations. You never know where they may lead.

My wife and I were on a cruise and happened to meet a DAL pilot (who, BTW, knows Doug) in the Martini Bar on ship. We ended up hanging out with him and his wife and friends quite a bit.

Now... will that land me a job with DAL? Doubtful. Highly doubtful. But, pilots know pilots who know pilots who know pilots.

Always always always network network network.

Best of luck!!

R2F

It may not land you a job, but if DAL was hiring you'd have two non-flying references!

Plus, Plato Ryhne, Jr is a lurker on the forums so "Ya better not pout, you'd better not shout, you'd better not cry cuz I'm tellin' you why!"

Actually, his father was the head cheese in charge of pilot selection for Delta.

They started a company recently called pilotapplication.com

I've never met a pilot in a bar but I've had GREAT luck with networking and I'm still a couple months short of my CSEL! First off, I joined the Airline History Museum in Kansas City. Mostly because I like vintage airliners (great-grandpa flew DC-2s for TWA). They've got a Constellation, Martin 404 and DC-3 in TWA livery. Anyhow, a LOT of TWA retireds, furlougheds, and AA current pilots in the mix there.

Joining that organization not only has put me in regular contact with current AA pilots and former TWA pilots, but scored me an hour in the left seat of a 767 sim at the AA training ctr in STL. Also, at our open house, a nonprofit organization brought a brand spanking new Citation CJ1 over for static display, and I met the pilot. 6 weeks later I was riding right seat on a night trip all over the midwest. And most importantly, I work on the organization's marketing committee with a pilot who flies a Bonanza for a local law firm. As he also has a full time office position in the firm, he can't fly all their trips. I've flown with him quite a few times now (both in 'my' planes and in the Bonanza) & have been told I have a flying position with them as soon as I get that CSEL and we can get me in the Bonanza enough to meet insurance reqs. The firm plans in about 18 months to sell the Bonanza and acquire a twin...

One organization joined. 3 incredible opportunities gained and I'm sure it won't stop there...

Sarah

[ QUOTE ]

Make up some el cheapo business cards and run out of them monthly. When I was jobless, I'd hit the airports, shake hands and deal out business cards like a blackjack dealer.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one wants my business card.

Well Mikey, the market for thru-the-window AGM-65's is kind of soft now!

How 'bout one of those Michigan militia types?

Thinking about becoming a mercenary Mike D?

Mike D...qualified to blow up just about anything...call 555-5555

yeah that huge picture freaks me out.

Jeff told me not to go. Not at my age.

Tonight, I walked into the FBO of my flight school and asked to have a job on the weekends. Just flat out... I have now a job on the weekends.

freaks me out how easy that was...

-B

[ QUOTE ]
Tonight, I walked into the FBO of my flight school and asked to have a job on the weekends. Just flat out... I have now a job on the weekends.

freaks me out how easy that was...

[/ QUOTE ]

AWESOME! See? And now that you're working there, you'll be amazed at the people you'll meet...

The bar at HPN looked pretty quiet last time I was there.....but you never know who you will meet sippin a martini at 9 in the morning ....hopefully not the captain for the 11 am flight.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Thinking about becoming a mercenary Mike D?

Mike D...qualified to blow up just about anything...call 555-5555

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps run an ad in "Soldier of Fortune" magazine:

Need precision guided ordinance delivered fast?

Need a weapons delivery platform with the ability to loiter for hours?

Call 1 800 A10-FORU

[ QUOTE ]

95% of the time, it didn't work too well, but that 5% that suceeded were the people that helped springboard my career.

[/ QUOTE ]

So Doug, what type of business cards should someone like me, with right at 300 hours and a multi-commercial, print up? "No-time Commercial Pilot Will Fly Anything, Anywhere..." LOL

Is it worth doing at this point in the game, or should I just wait until I have more flight time before I start trying to market myself?

Grayson

What I did was have my name, my telephone number and Commercial Pilot: Multi-engine Instrument or something like that.

I wish I could find an old example, but it was cheap and easy.

Back