Going to an Airport Bar

I made up a bunch with a layout program I have and heavy card stock (110lbs) - the "perforated" business card "paper" looks cheesey IMHO.

The card says commercial pilot across the top.
Then I list my ratings and what I'm currently working on.
I have my name and phone number and the (all three of them, woohoo) aircraft I've flown.

It's cheesey, it's stupid, it's goofy but if someone remembers me or calls me just once it's worth the time and effort it takes to put one one every airplane that stits still for a day around my airport ...
crazy.gif
smirk.gif
cool.gif

I've seen Pilot602's card and it rocks!

I'm going to steal... er .. I mean "use some of his ideas"
grin.gif

Might even incorporate my avtar into it. Might be silly - but folks will remember it.
wink.gif

1st day on the job:

I drove two chopper pilots to the local red lobster for the FBO. I probably should start printing those cards- they WILL NOT remember who I am.

I've been told to make cards up also to have ready as soon as I get my commercial - my CFI recommended it. I've seen others who have done the same.

As a graphic designer, I definitely agree with Pilot602 on NOT using the perforated business card sheets. Get some HEAVY card stock, and if you have access to a layout software program and a decent color printer, print your own (you can fit 8 to a sheet). If you draw some crop marks in for each card, you can use an xacto and a ruler, or a paper cutter if you have access to one, to trim them out.

Once finished they don't look much different from a professionally printed job. Our company in fact prints temp cards for new employees in this manner.

Sarah

A little idea....

My instructor at home had a flight plan format on the back of his cards. I use it all the time to file flight plans. Its handy and fits right in my wallet. It's a good reason for people to keep it.

Go to Kinkos. You can get a lot of cards on good paper for pretty cheap. I got some from there at one time, I still might have a few. Just had my name, "Certified Flight Instructor - CFI/CFII/MEI" on it, then my phone number, home airport, and e-mail address. Make sure it is clean and professional. Black type, common font, white card.

Now our airline has cards with our tail scheme on it, so I'll probably end up with those. Then I can walk around and slap them on my hand and pass them around!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Now our airline has cards with our tail scheme on it, so I'll probably end up with those. Then I can walk around and slap them on my hand and pass them around!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Mmmmm...professional

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Mmmmm...professional

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were in Vegas you would understand....

I know... it could have been a good opportunity to log cross country time, literally.

I've only been in these states in my life: CT, RI, MA, VT, ME, DE, VA, MD, FL, NY

Never west of there...

New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland (and DC), Virginia, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Washington, Idaho.. And I was in New Jersey for all of about 10 minutes.

So you've got me beat!

this one time before i had any flight time or certificates i was visiting my girlfriend in san juan,puerto rico,I was staying at the caribe hilton and there are allways pilots staying there.i was at the pool side bar just making conversation and i met a king air crew,do not remember what company they where with,but we talked for hours and i got a lot of advise so networking is,in my opinion more than just trying to get a job or getting the inside scoop.It is about making friends!.....sure wish that i had some of those business cards though!

[ QUOTE ]
this one time before i had any flight time ...

[/ QUOTE ]
"This one time... at band camp..."

As far as Airport bars go, I dont know if that would be a hot spot for them. My company and I bet many others do not allow us to go to a bar even if we arent getting drinks, in uniform. So most of the time, unless your nonreving/commuting, airport bars are off limits. Your new job at the airport will be great, espcially for getting flight time! Best Move I made in HighSchool was working at the airport!
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Best Move I made in HighSchool was working at the airport!
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember him then....And to think, he's an airline pilot now!!!
grin.gif

wow... this was an old post.

I now have seen a lot of weird stuff in my 6 months at the flight school.

Example: Hi this is Rob... is the airport IFR today? Should I fly?

Doug:

I can't say enough about networking. 2 out of my last 3 jobs I have obtained from networking in and out of aviation.

I was working full time as a freight dog and part time in a computer store. While talking to my boss at the computer store over lunch I mentioned that the freight job was getting old. He mentioned that he had a friend in management at an airline. I handed him a resume to foward on and in a week I had an interview then the job shortly after.

I never would have thought a manager at computer store would be able to help with an airline job.

Also....don't discount general aviation pilots in your networking endeavors. My best friend's parents own a Cessna 210 Centurion, so I am always talking with them. Anyway they introduced me to a guy who owns a Cirrus (which I got 4 rides in) who has a very good lady friend who flies corporate out of Orlando. Anyway she just so happened to be at their daughter's wedding, and she basically told me that when I get my commercial certificate(s) to give her a call and we can discuss some right seat time. Sounds GOOOOOOOD to me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Moral of story: even the guy with the little cessna can help you out.....

Ah Yes...The aviation form of six degrees of separation. I signed up with Angel Flight as a volnteer even though I do not have the 250 hrs req' yet. Sort of a co-pilot thing eventhough one is not needed. You get to meet a bunch of people and even ride in some nice airplanes; (nicer thatn the beat up Warrior's I had been training in). All the while you are helping people out and they are so greatful.

That's exactly what I did. We did an angel flight for a 7 yr old girl with cancer. It is an organization I definately want to get involved in.

Back