Going from private jet flying to freight dawging again...

Stone Cold

I'm not sure if anybody would be interested, but I think I'll update this as I'm able. For now, all I'll say is it's been interesting. I just finished phase 2 of 5, procedures validation. Next is the sims starting in a couple of days.

The phrase it's like a fire hose is definitely no joke, at least at Northern Freight. It's a 35 day footprint for the training. So far so good, but I've been taking it very seriously. This is definitely not CAE or Flight Safety, that's for sure.

I'll try to write more up tomorrow, but it's a day off, so no guarantees. I need a break. ;)

I'm not sure if anybody would be interested, but I think I'll update this as I'm able. For now, all I'll say is it's been interesting. I just finished phase 2 of 5, procedures validation. Next is the sims starting in a couple of days.

The phrase it's like a fire hose is definitely no joke, at least at Northern Freight. It's a 35 day footprint for the training. So far so good, but I've been taking it very seriously. This is definitely not CAE or Flight Safety, that's for sure.

I'll try to write more up tomorrow, but it's a day off, so no guarantees. I need a break. ;)

Bomber Restaurant, Ypsilanti Michigan

I've heard training there can be a real drag race!

I too have heard they make you wear women’s clothing. That’s where the callsign “Connie” comes from.

B4475651-37E6-4682-A8CC-1FAD18B14CD6.jpeg

Last edited:
When you are sick of Twisted Rooster, Give Arbor Brewing in Ypsi (Not downtown A2) a try. Great time of year to hang out. Also Sidetracks for a Burger.
We're the 18-22 shift for sims, so not much going on after we get out. We're looking for a pool table next Monday though. Our hotel is in Ann Arbor, so we don't spend much time in YIP.

I've heard training there can be a real drag race!
Haha. I think old man Connie would appreciate that joke!
I too have heard they make you wear women’s clothing. That’s where the callsign “Connie” comes from.

View attachment 43931
Aren't you funny?:p We're planning on hiring 150 more this year. With the class behind us, I think our union guy said that brings us up to 470 or so.

Damn, JC lost another corporate guy to 121, we're hanging on by a "thread" around here!
Good luck Sir, I'll be following along. I think the company is great and the flying sounds like a lot of fun. Just not sure if 17 days month in month out would be a good fit for us right now.

We're the 18-22 shift for sims, so not much going on after we get out. We're looking for a pool table next Monday though. Our hotel is in Ann Arbor, so we don't spend much time in YIP.

Huh, I just assumed since I always saw the unmarked crown vics crushing to the Holiday Inn. Good deal. Lots going on in Ann Arbor after 2200.

Damn, JC lost another corporate guy to 121, we're hanging on by a "thread" around here!
Good luck Sir, I'll be following along. I think the company is great and the flying sounds like a lot of fun. Just not sure if 17 days month in month out would be a good fit for us right now.
Yeah, I was coming from a 30/30 rotation, so it's actually a better schedule for me. Massive time changes I was already dealing with too, so it's just business as usual. Of course, our minimum fuel for dispatch is almost the same as the Gulfstream weighed. 72,000# min fuel, and the 450 has a MTOW of 74,600#.

Edit to add: our schedule is 16/14, but I get what you're saying. A normal corporate job would possibly be home more than this...it works out to about the same for me.

Last edited:
Huh, I just assumed since I always saw the unmarked crown vics crushing to the Holiday Inn. Good deal. Lots going on in Ann Arbor after 2200.
Apparently, we used to stay there, and still do for shorter stays. Since it's a long stay, they put us in the Candlewood which has a kitchen and free laundry. It works out decent.

Also, that's our sim schedule. 2 hour brief prior, and usually 30 minutes after. Then we always wait on the taxi. Plus studying during the day, and that time gets eaten up pretty quick.

Back