Going Around the World - Part V

ATC RET 2003

No More Vectors
Well, we made it to Oz, which was the original intent before we decided to make it a full circuit. The weather is still rainy, but nowhere near as wet as Hong Kong was.

IMG_3509.jpg

Sydney, Kingsford Smith Airport

IMG_3507.jpg

The ride to Brisbane

IMG_3512.jpg

Climbing out of Sydney... the House and the Bridge

IMG_3516.jpg

Brisbane TWR

IMG_3586.jpg

IMG_3587.jpg

From the gate at BNE

IMG_3596.jpg

Right turn over Brisbane on the way to Cairns

IMG_3598.jpg

Cairns

IMG_3604.jpg

Lunch at Palm Cove

IMG_3634.jpg

A visit to the Reef

IMG_3635.jpg

The boys' first helo ride

IMG_3645.jpg

Above the Reef

IMG_3687.jpg

Cairns airport from the Skyrail

Tomorrow we head to Alice Springs for a few days, then to Melbourne... Then it's off to NZ.

Great pics. I loved Australia when I was there last September. The weather worked out well for us in Sydney and Cairns.

Excellent Pictures. I loved Australia, I spent a month there. Sydney, Gold Coast, and Cairns. I have had blue tongue beer and its not too bad. But, i have to say James Boags Premium was the best I had. You seem to be having a trip of a lifetime, I hope I can take a trip like that one day.

The opera house turn photo is awesome! I have to ask, though, on the top - the tower, what the hell is that, a fun-slide?

The opera house turn photo is awesome! I have to ask, though, on the top - the tower, what the hell is that, a fun-slide?

I don't know for sure, but I assume it's either an emergency egress system... or art.

We will pass through Sydney again on the way to NZ... I'll try to find out then.

Beautiful Pics....The kids will definetly have a story to tell when school starts up again. I cannot imagine making that kind of trip now, let alone as a youngster.

How much planning went into this trip? Was it all done before you left or were some legs planned as you went along.

Awesome Experience!

How much planning went into this trip? Was it all done before you left or were some legs planned as you went along.

We started the planning about 2 years ago and worked with a travel agent. ALL the legs were put into place before we left. We are able to choose where to go and what to do within any of the destinations (aside from scheduled tours) but would be faced with some hefty fees if we wanted to change a destination.

If I were to do this again, I'd build in a little more flexibility and free time.

IMG_3634.jpg

A visit to the Reef

I'm guessing that little thing they landed the helo on was just anchored to the bottom, so it's just a floating, bobbing platform...I wonder if it's difficult for those guys to land on that thing because it doesn't exactly look like a smooth day on the water!

That is exactly what it is and it was a breezy and choppy day... it didn't seem to bother the pilot, though, as he set us down as if it were dead calm. I'm guessing he's done it a time or two before.:D

Back