Giving Pilots Sports Scores

BobDispatch

We all know that with the kick off of NFL today pilots will be starting to ask for scores.

This website if opened with any other browser than internet explorer will give you a good shell that you can copy and paste scores into an acars.

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/scoreboard?wjb

I know dispatchers are to "busy" to send them but maybe this will help for those with the time to do it while they are watching the game at the office.

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. People REALLY can't wait until they land? Are they 12?

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. People REALLY can't wait until they land? Are they 12?

Eh, customer service.

If I'm doing a transcon and there is a big game and there isn't live TV on board, I'll give a few scores out.

If I feel like it! ;)

Sent from my TRS-80

Most of the time they send the request for scores as " The customer is 1C is wondering.....". I dont care if its the pilots or the pax that want the scores if I have time to send them I send them. Back at the regional where there is no such thing as live tv I was sending them all the time.

Now that being said, when I get a request for scores and the flight crew is headed right at some major enroute weather I always ask them if there is anything more important than sports they want to talk about.

I always send the scores, if I have time. If I'm busy, I ignore the request or tell the crew I'll get to it later. There was a case a few years ago at UA where they didn't allow the Superbowl to be shown in dispatch - the dispatchers rebelled by refusing to give score updates to any flights, or look up AM radio stations enroute. I heard ALPA wasn't too happy about that. At my airline, the Superbowl is about the only game they let us watch. I've heard at other airlines they are less strict.

Well, working cargo we're pretty sure it's not the passenger asking :). Sometimes they'll ask for "who's winning the game" usually during a world series or bowl game, and we'll send back Cricket scores or something totally obscure.. gotta be specific :). Usually if I"m not busy, i really don't mind. I only get annoyed when I'm busy and i get back to back multiple requests from the same crew.

Reactions: Kev
Well, working cargo we're pretty sure it's not the passenger asking :). Sometimes they'll ask for "who's winning the game" usually during a world series or bowl game, and we'll send back Cricket scores or something totally obscure.. gotta be specific :). Usually if I"m not busy, i really don't mind. I only get annoyed when I'm busy and i get back to back multiple requests from the same crew.

Yeah, if I ever get requests for "How about some football scores" or whatever I usually reply, well, there are a lot of games happening today - are there any scores in particular you're interested in? If I get no reply to my question, that flight gets no scores from me. If on the other hand, they give me two or three games they would like the scores from, and I have time, I have no problem sending them those scores.

I would think the advent of in-flight internet service would be curbing those requests.

JetBlue

SOC TEXT

AREQ
SCORES NFL

It will send back all the scores and news for the nfl automatically without dispatch intervention.

Very cool idea. I would like to see them add something like that for us, but it sounds like something that everyone would enjoy, so they probably will never do it...

Works great and is a very useful tool.
You can substitute nearly any sport for NFL and get the same results.

The real reason we have it is operational. You can get a release, loads, edct, turn info, crews and nearly any piece of info you ever bug your dispatcher for.

Just ask center...there is always someone shouting scores back from the break room.

The real reason we have it is operational. You can get a release, loads, edct, turn info, crews and nearly any piece of info you ever bug your dispatcher for.

WANT

I don't understand the dispatchers/supervisors who get all bent out of shape about a simple score request. Dude, its a perfect wx day and you're sitting at your desk doing nothing and watching the football game on tv right now... give them the score instead of some passive aggressive response about being too busy.

Back