Getting out of Aviation?

Rudabega

So the wife is due any day now and I am looking back at all the events I have missed over the years due to the aviation lifestyle. Birthdays, Christmas, major family functions, ect. I dont want to miss watching the kid grow up. I am seriously thinking about just walking away from aviation entirely. The problem is that I dont really have any other skillset.

I am burnt out on aviation and wont miss the flying, the passion is gone, but I dont have any ideas where to go from here. Electricians apprentice is a option as they make decent money after the first 4 years. The wife makes good money and our savings is very healthy.

Any career changers with any tips? Currently no degree, strong electrical and automotive background. 4,500 TT 4,400 PIC 1800 Multi 1000 MTPIC.

Medevac. Thought about southeast flying? There are a couple operators around southeast where you could make a paycheck and be home every night and NOT work 14 hour days for eternity.
But seriously medevac. That's my goal.

Last edited:
You have plenty of skills in aviation that transfer over to the business side. A lot of work goes into these trips. Research all your options to see what type of position best fits you and your needs. Stay in the industry. You have value.

You have plenty of skills in aviation that transfer over to the business side. A lot of work goes into these trips. Research all your options to see what type of position best fits you and your needs. Stay in the industry. You have value.

That plus,

What about becoming a dispatcher?

With that many hours you might have enough knowledge to take the accelerated weekend course and have a ADX in a weekend...

I have thought quite a bit about medevac, the big thing is the wifes job. We arent really ready to move and two weeks on two weeks off commute makes me miss big events.

Dispatcher is a good idea, I will look into that.

So far I have been a flight instructor, flew skydivers, Alaska bush pilot, UPS feeder. 121 doesnt appeal to me at all, hate the massive crowds of people at the passenger terminals.

I really just want to do right by my family, having your dad there when you are little is a big deal. I dont want to be gone for the first little league game, first play, ect.

I have thought quite a bit about medevac, the big thing is the wifes job. We arent really ready to move and two weeks on two weeks off commute makes me miss big events.

So far I have been a flight instructor, flew skydivers, Alaska bush pilot, UPS feeder. 121 doesnt appeal to me at all, hate the massive crowds of people at the passenger terminals.

I really just want to do right by my family, having your dad there when you are little is a big deal. I dont want to be gone for the first little league game, first play, ect.

Is there no FW medevac where you live?

I really just want to do right by my family, having your dad there when you are little is a big deal. I dont want to be gone for the first little league game, first play, ect.]

Do you live in Anchorage?

I was trying to respond to your post by quote but must have hit a wrong button.

Do you live in Anchorage?
Guardian has two leads in town with a decent sched.

Bald Mtn has king airs now.....

Congrats on the little one! I would certainly look into dispatch. I think Jeppesen is based in Denver. You could also look into ATC.

You know...

When my dad was gone, he was really gone. But when he was home, he was really home. It was quality time when he was here, and even though he missed some things, I think that myself and my two brothers turned out okay. It was not easy and my Mom was/is absolutely amazing, but he managed to do alright (if not better than alright) by us and was a good provider.

You know...

When my dad was gone, he was really gone. But when he was home, he was really home. It was quality time when he was here, and even though he missed some things, I think that myself and my two brothers turned out okay. It was not easy and my Mom was/is absolutely amazing, but he managed to do alright (if not better than alright) by us and was a good provider.
Exactly. Its nice to have a parent that when they are off, they are off. My dad did two weeks on/ two weeks off. It was awesome to have my dad for two weeks rather than a 9-5 where he would be tired at the end of the day.

If you really are serious look at simulator instructor and/or ground instructor for a major airline. Two airlines with training centers right there in Denver, although not sure how much will be going on at the UAL facility in the future. Was just there and they haven't put a dime into the place in a couple of decades from the looks of it. I hear the old CAL facility is much nicer. Any UAL/CAL folks want to chime in on the future of that training center. Frontier is there as well. Jeppesen already mentioned has a lot of positions in curriculum development. So you've got lots of options.

TP

Chippendales is hiring. So is American Greetings: they're looking for artists and sentiment writers. :)

Back