Getting out of Aviation?

So the wife is due any day now and I am looking back at all the events I have missed over the years due to the aviation lifestyle. Birthdays, Christmas, major family functions, ect. I dont want to miss watching the kid grow up. I am seriously thinking about just walking away from aviation entirely. The problem is that I dont really have any other skillset.

I am burnt out on aviation and wont miss the flying, the passion is gone, but I dont have any ideas where to go from here. Electricians apprentice is a option as they make decent money after the first 4 years. The wife makes good money and our savings is very healthy.

Any career changers with any tips? Currently no degree, strong electrical and automotive background. 4,500 TT 4,400 PIC 1800 Multi 1000 MTPIC.

Check out Solar City. My friend works there as a crew lead installer, been promoted twice since starting in December. The company is growing fast and they promote from within. Installers get base pay plus productivity pay. The wife also just started there as a sales rep. PM me if you have any questions.

Become a cop, better then any desk job, and you get to do something different everyday. Also, I hate to say it, but you made a point as to your job skills. Without a degree, it is difficult to command some of the salaries that aviation could bring without a degree.

Getting my DX license is the best return on investment I've made in my 50 years on earth. I respect your desire to be there for your child. I hope you make it work.

You know...

When my dad was gone, he was really gone. But when he was home, he was really home. It was quality time when he was here, and even though he missed some things, I think that myself and my two brothers turned out okay. It was not easy and my Mom was/is absolutely amazing, but he managed to do alright (if not better than alright) by us and was a good provider.

This. I've had the same thought as the OP many times. My career hasn't gone as I thought it would and especially after my twin boys were born, I really thought "is this worth it?" Even now, I have my doubts, but I don't really know what else to do. And as much as I love my kids, I don't think stay at home Dad would work for me. And my wife is wonderful plus has a great salary and benefits, but it's not really enough for how we want to live. And we aren't spendy or impractical people either.

But mainly, when I'm home, I'm home. My boys get all of my attention when I'm there and through the miracles of regional airline scheduling, I've had 5+ days off at home that wasn't vacation time. It doesn't make up for the time I'm not there, but it was great knowing that I had nothing to do but be a husband and father.

I'll throw this out there. When I worked a 9-5, it wasn't what it was all hyped up to be. Yeah I would be home every night and have weekends off. It was nice. However, reality set in. You're tired. You get off around 5 and won't get home until 530 or 600. Then you walk in and you're still tired. So you unwind for another thirty minutes. Then you have to make your own dinner or if you have a wife or husband to make you something, you'll eat and that will probably be another 30 to 60 minutes. Do now we are at 7:30. At this point, if you have older kids, they may still be working on homework. If you have a significant other, she may be tired and doing her thing.

YMMV, but the amount of time your actually home and fully available, is still less than you would be at 121. Yes, I know you said you weren't interested. However, the reason you state seems kind of funny. That's like saying I don't go out on the road because there's a lot of cars. Come on now . Long story short, you make of it what you want.

As for me, my mom and dad both worked 9-5 jobs. They still missed holidays and birthdays and games and stuff. My mom is a nurse, she would miss holidays. My dad worked in a hospital as well. He would never miss a whole baseball game but he would miss the first half. However, the times we all where together outweighed all that by a bajillion.

I'll throw this out there. When I worked a 9-5, it wasn't what it was all hyped up to be. Yeah I would be home every night and have weekends off. It was nice. However, reality set in. You're tired. You get off around 5 and won't get home until 530 or 600. Then you walk in and you're still tired. So you unwind for another thirty minutes. Then you have to make your own dinner or if you have a wife or husband to make you something, you'll eat and that will probably be another 30 to 60 minutes. Do now we are at 7:30. At this point, if you have older kids, they may still be working on homework. If you have a significant other, she may be tired and doing her thing.

YMMV, but the amount of time your actually home and fully available, is still less than you would be at 121. Yes, I know you said you weren't interested. However, the reason you state seems kind of funny. That's like saying I don't go out on the road because there's a lot of cars. Come on now . Long story short, you make of it what you want.

As for me, my mom and dad both worked 9-5 jobs. They still missed holidays and birthdays and games and stuff. My mom is a nurse, she would miss holidays. My dad worked in a hospital as well. He would never miss a whole baseball game but he would miss the first half. However, the times we all where together outweighed all that by a bajillion.

BINGO!

You nailed it very well. And over time any person with gumption will get promoted, requiring more time at work, arriving home more tired, spending more off-time thinking about work, etc.

There are three solutions to this problem, and I am not saying this tongue-in-cheek: 1) marry very, very well, 2) switch to a part time job (and cut back on the standard of living a whole bunch), or 3) make the best of an imperfect situation.

So the wife is due any day now and I am looking back at all the events I have missed over the years due to the aviation lifestyle. Birthdays, Christmas, major family functions, ect. I dont want to miss watching the kid grow up. I am seriously thinking about just walking away from aviation entirely. The problem is that I dont really have any other skillset.

I am burnt out on aviation and wont miss the flying, the passion is gone, but I dont have any ideas where to go from here. Electricians apprentice is a option as they make decent money after the first 4 years. The wife makes good money and our savings is very healthy.

Any career changers with any tips? Currently no degree, strong electrical and automotive background. 4,500 TT 4,400 PIC 1800 Multi 1000 MTPIC.

I've been where you are, and I did get out of aviation as a result. Reflecting back on it, here's what I have found.

1) Holidays, birthdays, etc, are when you decide to have them. In the big picture does it really matter that you celebrated Christmas on December 24th or 26?
2) Family functions are a lesson in economics; i.e. satisfying unlimited wants with limited resources. So, you make a choice. Do I want to go to my brother's wedding or my nephew's school play. It's likely a choice you will have to make regardless of your career. You're not going to be able to attend all of them unless you are retired and rich. Besides do you really WANT to go to all the family functions?
3) One of the benefits of working for an airline is that you have a certain amount of control over when you work. Ok, so you may not be home for Christmas, but you may have a string of 4 days off in March. "Hey kids, whaddya say we catch a flight to (wherever) and do (whatever)?"
4) There's a lot to be said about leaving work at work. Pilots get to do that more readily than other professions.

I've been where you are, and I did get out of aviation as a result. Reflecting back on it, here's what I have found.

1) Holidays, birthdays, etc, are when you decide to have them. In the big picture does it really matter that you celebrated Christmas on December 24th or 26?
2) Family functions are a lesson in economics; i.e. satisfying unlimited wants with limited resources. So, you make a choice. Do I want to go to my brother's wedding or my nephew's school play. It's likely a choice you will have to make regardless of your career. You're not going to be able to attend all of them unless you are retired and rich. Besides do you really WANT to go to all the family functions?
3) One of the benefits of working for an airline is that you have a certain amount of control over when you work. Ok, so you may not be home for Christmas, but you may have a string of 4 days off in March. "Hey kids, whaddya say we catch a flight to (wherever) and do (whatever)?"
4) There's a lot to be said about leaving work at work. Pilots get to do that more readily than other professions.

As an airline pilot I never missed Thanksgiving or Christmas (though I did as a military and 135 pilot). I bid to get those times off, even if it meant a crappy line if that was important to Household 6.

Since she (the wife), works, every month I throw my trips into open time. In September I paced myself and worked 8 days. Grueling man, let me tell you. I'm still recovering. The rest of the time I was around for the kids, hung out at the airport while they were at school, did some teaching on the side. Probably too much time home in the eyes of my 17 year old daughter. Actually I think my wife thinks I am around too much as well based upon her reaction when I try to help her scrub her back in the shower every morning as I force myself out of bed when I hear her in the shower. Some people just don't appreciate the sacrifices you will make for them.

My dad was a salesman. He was gone all the time and I saw him little when I was in high school and needed him the most. No resentment as I know he was doing what he needed to do to pay the mortgage and put food on the table. Especially in the recession of the 70's which, in spite of what you might have been told was pretty sucky compared to the one we just came out of. But he was part of the "Greatest Generation" and actually knew what "suck" meant. He made sure I knew what that word meant as well, so I thank him for that.

My wife is a doctor and is home more evenings, but the kids rarely see her at sports events, while I am at almost all of them. Next year, baring injuries, our daughter will play sports in college and I will probably make most of her games. I've taken her to places using our travel benefits that most kids would not dream of seeing.

So, to the OP, don't think of your life and something you've been told you must lead, look at your life as what it can be and what you want it to be.

Ok, I was wrong. Real jobs suck, I miss my airplanes. Green light from the wife to move as long as it pays enough for her to be a stay at home mom. I am thinking 2 birds with one stone, Air Ambulance time.
If you fly air ambo, you'll be a stay at home dad as well.

Back