Get your hand off the throttle!!

Keeping your hand on the throttle the entire time is pointless... Throttle up (hand on throttle ;)), level off, back it off (hand on throttle ;)), trim it out.... relax and enjoy the ride one hand on yoke... maybe.

The next time I would touch the throttle again would be in my decent. :)

Next thing you know someone is going to say that we should also keep our feet on the rudder pedals the whole flight, or our other hand on the yoke at all times, or that we should stay awake the whole flight. :sarcasm:

When you're in a plane with me your hand had better be on the throttle anytime you're close to a runway (takeoff or landing), climb/descent, and during maneuvers. If its not you'll find yourself dumping out of a steep turn looking for a landing spot.

I always feel like so much more of a real pilot when I use a hand mic.

300px-Arrow_anti-ballistic_missile_launch.jpg

If anyone brings up hand mics I am so going ballistic!

:bandit:

Missed Lloyd's earlier comment, eh? :)

Todd, yeah, I wrote up the throttle friction multiple times. Was told "We fixed it" only to find out the next time I flew the plane it was no different. Sorta like MX at some airlines I know. This is the same MX dept (not Air Orlando, BTW) who "fixed" a low oil pressure/high oil temp problem I wrote up. I stopped flying that plane, but one of my buddies flew it. Engine quit on him, and he wound up in a telephone pole and in a hospital bed. I wrote up one thing (can't even remember what it was), and was told by MX "Well, if you don't wanna fly it, don't fly it." Instilled me with so much confidence, I never rented there again.

sidenote: resting your hand on the shifter in a manual transmission car is a GREAT way to wear out your transmission early!!

If you're putting *pressure* on it, yes, you can accelerate wear on the shift forks. But there's enough slop in the system that just having your hand sitting there isn't going to matter one way or the other. Someone does much more damage using the clutch pedal as a footrest or keeping the clutch pedal depressed at a red light than just leaving their hand sitting idly on the shifter.

Back on topic, I have my handle on the throttle during takeoff and while in the pattern. If the friction lock is set properly, there's really no need (in my opinion) to keep your hand there the whole time you're flying the airplane. Out of the 7-8 airplanes I've flown, I've only had one that had a bad tendency for the throttle to vibrate out even with the friction set. The club FINALLY fixed it after everyone and their brother squawked it each and every time someone flew that plane.

Back