Get your hand off the throttle!!

How many airline pilots keep your hand on the throttle the whole flight?

Apples to oranges. We're talking two totally different designs for different experience levels. For what it's worth, I actually DO keep my hands on the thrust levers when I'm hand flying. The thrust levers on the CRJ don't have the annoying habit of vibrating backwards and slowly reducing power like some of the 172s I've flown.

How many instructors here keep your hand on the throttle when your flying by yourself?

Me.

Then why do we teach our students this??

For one, it's how I was taught. Secondly, the aforementioned "throttle back out" issue.

Here is the problems with it...

1. Fluctuating between 2000 and 2400 RPM is annoying.
2. Correcting loss or gain of altitude with small power corrections is WRONG technique.

Annoying to you. Doesn't bother me, actually. And there's a huge difference between "wrong technique" and "any fed or DPE will tell you you're wrong." If it's a wrong TECHNIQUE, then it's a localized issue. Show me a book or FAA/NTSB filing that says it's wrong. I agree that correcting altitude deviations that way probably isn't the right way to do it, but it's a TECHNIQUE issue, not a "right" or "wrong" issue. Remember fundamentals of instruction and using absolutes?

4. Its gonna be hard when they get to their instrument training and they cant look at charts and IAP's because they are used to keeping their hand on the throttle.

I'm not saying glue your hand to the throttle, but if you're not using it for something else (like flipping through charts), what's the harm in having it there?

I get what Ryan's saying.

To add to what he said...

This will come in big when they start flying x-country. It will be important for them to understand to fly at the power setting that they plan unless necessary. That is the only way to know, with some amount of accuracy, how much fuel they've burned and have remaining.

It may not be such a big deal in the smaller aircraft on a 50 mile x-country, but the larger the aircraft and the longer the flight...the more fuel management will be important. Significant changes in power will not result in the best fuel management.

So put me in the corner of take-off to climb out, approach to landing, minor adjustments in cruise, and adnormal operations are the only times that the hands needs to be on the throttle in light aircraft.

To students,

If your instructor tells you to leave your hand on the throttle the whole flight find a new instructor. :banghead:

To Instructors,

Remember the law of primacy. ;)

tanks

I think you're just mad your student won't put his hand on your knee. :p

I get what Ryan's saying.

To add to what he said...

This will come in big when they start flying x-country. It will be important for them to understand to fly at the power setting that they plan unless necessary. That is the only way to know, with some amount of accuracy, how much fuel they've burned and have remaining.

It may not be such a big deal in the smaller aircraft on a 50 mile x-country, but the larger the aircraft and the longer the flight...the more fuel management will be important. Significant changes in power will not result in the best fuel management.

So put me in the corner of take-off to climb out, approach to landing, minor adjustments in cruise, and adnormal operations are the only times that the hands needs to be on the throttle in light aircraft.

Yeah, I get what he's saying, too. I agree when you've got the power set, leaving it fine. But saying that it's flat out wrong to keep your hand on the throttle is what I disagree with.

Hell, John's been pretty quiet lately. SOMEONE'S gotta pick up the argumentative slack.

Remember when we flew from GKY to Whereverthehell Indiana? I don't think you had your hand on the throttle the whole time. :)

A DPE has never pinked a student for doing this but they will always scold the student/instructor for it.

I have never flown the CRJ so I cant comment on it but its basic attitude flying man. I never keep my hand on the throttle in the C-172, Westwind or King Air.

KLB,
Sending you a PM in a few.

All I asked of my students was to keep their hand on the throttle during pattern work, and maneuvers. Otherwise, I don't care. Just don't touch the mixture unless we're in cruise flight on a cross country, or you're shutting the airplane down. Worked fine for me.

YMMV

Remember when we flew from GKY to Whereverthehell Indiana? I don't think you had your hand on the throttle the whole time. :)

Eh, probably right. Had to have a hand free to tune that XM Radio. :)

A DPE has never pinked a student for doing this but they will always scold the student/instructor for it.

"Always?" Remember those absolutes. I've NEVER been scolded by a DPE for doing it, and I know I did it on every checkride I had. Hell, in that evil Seminole, 737, if you didn't, you'd be at idle in two seconds just from the vibrations and the damn loose throttle quadrant.

Going back to the law of primacy thing that Ryan brought up, apparently there are guys teaching their students NOT to touch the throttles, too. One thing that seriously irks me is FOs that have both hands on the yoke during an approach. On the approach, I think you should have a hand on the yoke and a hand on the throttle (yes, even if the autopilot is on). That way you can make the subtle power corrections the CRJ seems to need all the time in order to keep your speed right. Plus, if anything DOES happen to go wrong, you're already in a position to make the correction.

But...but....but.... the controls are HEAVY.... and I need both hands. Heh, my sim partner in training did a 2 handed flare. :D

Kell - on the flipside, I've had Captains have one hand on their lap and the other on the throttle until they feel a wing pick up; then they put their free hand on the yoke and begin to correct for wind. :panic:WTF, man. :D

sidenote: resting your hand on the shifter in a manual transmission car is a GREAT way to wear out your transmission early!!

How many airline pilots keep your hand on the throttle the whole flight?

How many instructors here keep your hand on the throttle when your flying by yourself?

Then why do we teach our students this??

Here is the problems with it...

1. Fluctuating between 2000 and 2400 RPM is annoying.
2. Correcting loss or gain of altitude with small power corrections is WRONG technique.
3. It doesn't help the student relax at all.
4. Its gonna be hard when they get to their instrument training and they cant look at charts and IAP's because they are used to keeping their hand on the throttle.

Keep your hand on the throttle during takeoff and climb or whenever you're in the airport environment. Once you get to a safe altitude then level off, cruise power setting and TRIM!

Reaching across for the power levers in the Saab would cause me to ache. However from climb until cruise my hands are on the PLs and from descent until landing they are on the PLs. But again, its a completly different type of flying from GA.

When I move from pattern, and maneuvers to XC, Ill normally tell my students they can finally relax a little and take in the scenery.

When a student moves on to their IR training, they will probably be at the point when they know when they need to be at the ready, and when not. When I fly GA aircraft for fun, I normally keep my hand on the throttle. Its pretty much the only place to put it.

You show me a DE who gets upset at keeping your hand on the throttle the whole time, and Ill find one who will think the exact opposite.

If I have my hand on something, that means I'm adjusting it or reminding myself I'm about to. Putting your hand on the throttle in a situation you shouldn't be adjusting it (cruise) doesn't make sense to me.

I'll argue this one all day long. Anytime my students would take their hand off the throttle, I would pull it and say "whoops there goes your engine."

Help me understand why it matters, in your opinion, in a single engine airplane where directional control presents no issue whatsoever if your engine fails.

v1valarob said:
It's easier to have them keep it on all the time in the beginning, then to try and explain the times it's needed and not needed. My biggest pet peeve was when students would rotate and take their hand off of the throttle.

In the beginning, sure but as students fly they'll ultimately develop their own technique.

Again, help me understand why after rotation if one's hand was removed from the throttle why it could present an issue. After rotation, if an engine should fail, keeping your hand on the throttle does little other than keep it in close proximity to the mixture (if any mixture anomaly cause a power loss) and/or ensure the throttle's position.

Educate me, my friend.

Here is the real issue:

Small planes: Hand on throttle, they don't fly themselves.

Big Planes: Hand off throttle!...Why?...because those damn things fly themselves.

When I fly I have my hand on the god damn throttle because I want it there in 0 seconds as opposed to 2 seconds. In that same hand I have a pen for my knee board notes. I also have a "feel" for the engine through the throttle...A&P told me how important it is to "feel" the throttle, as the engine goes through many different cycles. My B ####IN' 52 Captain turned CFI used to physically abuse my right hand if it was taken off the throttle! Wouldn't want it any other way. Accept those lonely nights made me question this theory....

This is a stupid Thread.

I had never given keeping my hand on the throttle all the time much thought; until I started working on the instrument rating. Instinctively having my hand on the throttle when a power adjustment wasn't needed only caused more work for me, and led to a little (micro) throttle jockeying.

I realized this immediately and started putting my hand on my knee just so i wouldn't grab the throttle because it was there.

Along the same lines of trusting your flight instruments; a specific combination of pitch, power, and airspeed will result in a predictable performance. If I need to fine tune from there I'll adjust accordingly. Otherwise, outside of initial climb and final(mostly) I'm off the throttle and I'm flying better because of it.

Thanks for contributing!

:D

:yeahthat:
Here is the real issue:

Big Planes: Hand off throttle!...Why?...because those damn things fly themselves.

When I fly I have my hand on the god damn throttle because I want it there in 0 seconds as opposed to 2 seconds. In that same hand I have a pen for my knee board notes. I also have a "feel" for the engine through the throttle...A&P told me how important it is to "feel" the throttle, as the engine goes through many different cycles. My B ####IN' 52 Captain turned CFI used to physically abuse my right hand if it was taken off the throttle! Wouldn't want it any other way. Accept those lonely nights made me question this theory....

This is a stupid Thread.

With respect, and whether or not the flight standards department at JC considers hand on or hand off appropriate, do you think it might be appropriate to sit back, read, and learn at this particular point in your aviation experience?

Here is the real issue:

Huh?
[/QUOTE]

This is a stupid Thread.[/QUOTE]

irony

At Mesa we keep our hand on the power quadrent until the V1 call, and then we remove it and put it on the yoke. I guess it is to emphasize that we should not do a RTO after that point. The PNF tweaks the power for climb power, generally.

I refuse to teach 'hand on the throttle always'. During critical phases, sure.

I think it's a good practice to keep your hands on the throttles, but I believe the throttle should be held a certain way (I know it's not rocket science but bare with). Students have the tendency to rest their fingers on top of the throttle inadvertently reducing power. A buddy of mine who used to instruct before we were stationed in Korea pointed out the way I was holding in the throttle during our take off in a 172 last week saying he used to have students do that, they'd SLOWLY pull back throttle while they were distracted by other factors on takeoff, never noticing the power reduction until he'd catch it. Then he demonstrated while we were en route to another airfield do some non precision approaches and I saw what he was talking about.

He recommended holding the throttle from BEHIND the throttle control, instead of on top or around and using throttle friction as an acceptable practice, and if you don't trust the throttle friction keep pressure behind the handle with your thumb. I know we all have our different techniques!:crazy:

Back