Get there as fast as you can or enjoy the ride (and risk ending up behind the curve)?

The difference between aviation as a self gratifying performance art versus technical operation of an airborne transportation device.

I'm one of those guys that if given the chance will bid to fly an MD-80 or MD-90 in a heart beat. I hear a lot of people complain about it, but that's been my dream to fly one since I was a kid.

Some people also like some pretty terrible things in bed. Doesn't make it normal. :p
tumblr_mrur77Afm81rvnnvyo3_500.gif

tumblr_mrur77Afm81rvnnvyo2_500.gif

tumblr_mrur77Afm81rvnnvyo1_500.gif

It's a tough answer, for your long term financial success its probably wise to get in with a regional now and get your start in the 121 world. If you're in your early or mid twenties and want to spend a few years doing other things, yes you have plenty of time. It could make a big seniority difference in the long run of your potential 121 career.

I sometimes wonder what it would be like to have a season of Alaska flying and maybe some island flying under my belt, but I'm happy and comfortable at the regional airline and I'll do adventures in my time off.

The difference between aviation as a self gratifying performance art versus technical operation of an airborne transportation device.
Eh, I get it sometimes, maybe even a lot of the time. But at the end of a 7:45 block day in and out of the crap with delays on day 4, I love the automation.

Case in point, a guy I played football with in high school decided he wanted to fly. He had an awesome time with his college buddies CFIing, doing some 135 and hanging on the beach not worrying about progressing since he was in his 20s.

He's now 4000 numbers junior to me at southernjets and was hired 7 years later, even though he only "had fun" for 2 extra years.

Case in point, a guy I played football with in high school decided he wanted to fly. He had an awesome time with his college buddies CFIing, doing some 135 and hanging on the beach not worrying about progressing since he was in his 20s.

He's now 4000 numbers junior to me at southernjets and was hired 7 years later, even though he only "had fun" for 2 extra years.
I don't get that, I guess there's the whole "teach each his own" thing. I just transferred to a west coast base, and with the flight benefits I can go hang on the beach theoretically whenever I want... while my seniority builds.

I agree that a diverse array of prior experiences probably produces better aviators, and would probably reduce accidents once they enter the 121 world. Whether it might have prevented Colgan 3407 is harder to say but it's certainly possible. However, be that as it may, what produces the best aviators is not necessarily what would make the most financial and career potential success to an individual pilot. I still say get there as fast as possible. If you'll pardon the religious reference, do not forfeit the "birthright" of a chance at a lucrative career for the lentil stew of fun flying.

As to your second paragraph, I disagree that the a 24-year-old who just got all their ratings has that much time. The hiring wave is happening now, will probably end any day now, and for the reasons I alluded to in my first post (encroachment of foreign low-cost carriers like NAI and the looming threat of technological unemployment and the devastating decline in consumer demand it will bring), it will likely be the very last hiring wave in history. There is not much time left to make it to the majors, so time is very much of the essence. The 24-year-old in your example is unlikely to have 35 years at the airlines as the airline industry as we know it probably won't last another 35 years. In my opinion, most people underestimate just how bleak the future will be once technological unemployment starts to be a major issue, which could be in just 5-10 years. The sun is still shining now and it is essential to make as much hay as possible before it sets, never to dawn again.

Relax. Your going to stroke out worrying like you do. Read this https://www.fastcompany.com/3049079...ake-your-job-but-heres-why-you-shouldnt-worry it talks about the 47% number your mentioned in your first post. You can't live life worrying about what might happen you will go crazy

Relax. Your going to stroke out worrying like you do. Read this https://www.fastcompany.com/3049079...ake-your-job-but-heres-why-you-shouldnt-worry it talks about the 47% number your mentioned in your first post. You can't live life worrying about what might happen you will go crazy
I'm probably the world's biggest worrier, sometimes can have a little more pessimistic outlook on some things than I should, but agreed. Literally anything could happen, and it's not just unique to the airlines. I've known so many people with high paying jobs outside the industry that have been laid off, had their positions eliminated, had to move their family across the country for a new job multiple times, etc.

Cfi I finished my private with went through three regionals in the "lost decade". Great guy, but doesn't look like the things were lining up too good for him.
Meanwhile, I built my first airplane, opened a business selling airplanes, flew all kinds of fun things (my "long commercial solo xcountry" was KCIC to KDED on a A185F, got to CFI in a Lake amphib etc), made good money, then business went dry and a bunch of memories and a DA40 that I own is about all that's left of it. Then started flying a Caravan to the Bahamas, jetting around in Ultra and CJ2+, all sub 1000 hrs. Just landed after flying a C152 in a S Fla school and I'm still enjoying it.
I'm 36 this year, I will never catch any of the guys who went 121 in their 20s, but that's ok, because I got to fly a 182 around Hawaii and sit weathered in Sequatchie Valley for two days in a Light Sport.
There's no subjective right or wrong in the long run.

Back