Gate 1 at KVPS

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Here's "Gate 1" at KVPS - Ft.Walton Beach, FL/Eglin Air Force Base.

When did you last see one of these on a big airplane?
smile.gif

vps.jpg

Um does that include government or military planes? :p

Actually I recall having to walk the tarmac to get off a United 747 back in um.. 94 or 95, I forget why but I remember it was hot as heck!

That SHHtrike Ego?
smile.gif
Before we departed KATL for KVPS, some guy did drop by to to ask if the captain was a former air force pilot.

The captain is actually a former E-2 Navy pilot and the passenger kind of said, "Oh..." in a mildly disappointed decrescendo. "I was an Eagle driver..." and went back to the cabin.

Mike, some of you military guys can be like cats sometimes!
smile.gif

I told some guy once that I flew "BEE Twos" and he go all excited. Then I said, "The BE-02 is the ATC radar blip designator for the Beech 1900!"

meow
Hey Doug I'll be at VPS on Friday any chance you'll be in town, I assume since its so close to ATL it's not an overnight spot for you. If you ever get the chance get over to Pennsacola Naval Air Station and check out the Aviation Museum ... imo one of the best.

[ QUOTE ]

The captain is actually a former E-2 Navy pilot and the passenger kind of said, "Oh..." in a mildly disappointed decrescendo. "I was an Eagle driver..." and went back to the cabin.

Mike, some of you military guys can be like cats sometimes!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, just Eagle Drivers and their ascot-wearing a$$es.
smile.gif

We've got a whopping 9.5 hour layover in KVPS on Saturday night.

Our van driver is straight out of the movie "Fandango". It's hilarious. I keep waiting for the guy to start yelling, "AAAAAARRRRCHHHHH!"

I've spend alot of time up there testing for work... most of my time was spend out on the ranges in a test van, but you sometimes get a nice airshow (was out there one night when an AC-130 was practicing - that was awesome!). Ft. Walton is a pretty boring place but the beaches are nice, redneck riveria and all...

Hopefully they set you up in a beachfront hotel, last time I was up there this summer we were in the Radisson beach resort and I lucked out with a newly redone room on the 7th floor that had a floor-to-ceiling view of the gulf - it was awesome!

[ QUOTE ]

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I know in the mid 90s, that was all they had at KONT!!

WHen I went to DTW-Jamaica about 4 times (1994-1998) we went on a ATA L1011...beutiful planes....but anyway in Jamaica every single time we got off the plane with a stair truck. Long Climb/decent down that thang!
grin.gif

The President uses those all of the time. You should feel special. That is a boring place. Nice place to retire.

[ QUOTE ]
Here's "Gate 1" at KVPS - Ft.Walton Beach, FL/Eglin Air Force Base.

smile.gif

vps.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Frankly, I wish they were all that way, STILL!

I love the smell of jet fuel in the morning.........

Twice when I flew into VPS and when I flew into the Old Athens, Greece Airport on a TWA 747. Off of the 747 they put stairs at the front exit and the rear exit.

wow Doug that is awesome! I fly out of VPS a lot...but not lately as it hasnt been as great of savings vs. KPNS. I used to always fly on the CRJ outta there. Is the Maddog service a seasonal thing? Finally....how do you like all those F15s on that long taxi ??
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When I deplaned from a 747 at NRT (Tokyo) last August. It's my favorite way of getting on and off--you get a good look at everything.

A rarity in the US, but airstairs are used outside the US a lot...and not just developing/underdeveloped countries.

Nobody's been to Long Beach? 41 commercial flights a day (American, Jet Blue, America West, and Alaska), all of them use stairs on the tarmac. No gates or bridges.

I used to get off on an airstair at San Jose, CA many times a few years ago when I went to visit my sister.

I love the smell of Jet A, the sound of the APU and other aircraft.
cool.gif

Mahesh

You know what's funny is that I can barely smell Jet-A or de-icing fluid anymore.

Back