Gate 1 at KVPS

I got off a plane at San Jose , Ca in '95 one one of those. And yes I did the presidential wave while disembarking!

Are those the retractable airstairs on the MD-88/90? Or a stair truck?

Also anyone ever been to Panama City and visited Tyndall AFB. How far is KVPN from Tyndall?

Lastly why in the world in 04 does SJC not have jet bridges or any major airport for that matter.

Corrie

... funny, shouldn't CRJ or something like that be on that route
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You know what's funny is that I can barely smell Jet-A ... anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Come hang out with me after I've worked the line at TPF one Sunday. You'll smell it.

I wear the stuff like calogne - inadvertently of course.
wink.gif

What airspace is SJC in class B or C. I'm thinking class B cause I have heard that AA regulary brings 777's into SJC.

When I got off the plane at LHR I had to walk down airstairs.
crazy.gif
As I looked around I saw many other 777's and 747's with airstairs pulled up to them.

The airstairs are LHR's only redeeming quality. Well, besides the aircraft from every corner of the world, that is.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You know what's funny is that I can barely smell Jet-A ... anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Come hang out with me after I've worked the line at TPF one Sunday. You'll smell it.

I wear the stuff like calogne - inadvertently of course.
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

On a side note, once upon a time when I was a brand new engine tech, straight from the infantry by way of technical training, I had to change the fuel control on a T64. Well, I pull this thing off, and JP5 goes everywhere, including on me!!

So, Soon2bMarAce looks over at me and says, "Hey Corporal, I think you might want to go change your coveralls..."

Me? The hard-corps infantryman change coveralls, just because of a little JP5? Ha!! (Now, I haven't mentioned that I had....ummm, nothing under my coveralls except for my skivy shirt).

Well, wasn't so bad for the next 15 minutes. But as the summer heat and my sweat started mixing, I swore that it was on fire on my skin - ALL OVER!!!!
grin.gif

OK, no more stories....

[ QUOTE ]
The airstairs are LHR's only redeeming quality. Well, besides the aircraft from every corner of the world, that is

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a big fan of LHR infact it down right sucks as for as being a passenger, but at the same time it is awesome because as you said there are aircraft from every corner of the world there.

[ QUOTE ]

Also anyone ever been to Panama City and visited Tyndall AFB. How far is KVPN from Tyndall?

[/ QUOTE ]

it isnt far at all....probably about a 20 minute drive at max. VPN is pretty small...flew in there before in a 172...beautiful scenery on the way in.

Terminal "C" at SJC still is stairtruck except for one. Delta owns that one, which belonged to Western long time ago. The airport is under construction now..that terminal will be gone soooooooooooooooon////

SJC is Class C.

If you fly any airline other than AA, WN, and the one DL gate, you would go out of Terminal 3, which still uses stairs.

Call me old school, but I like boarding via the stairs. I'll miss it a lot when the terminal goes, it's the last one in the SF area which boards the old-fashioned way.

BUR only uses stairs. Its a nice blast from the past. Its really cool because sometimes they board from the front and the back on SWA and sometimes UAL.

I had to go out of airstairs on a LAX-LHR flight out of a VS 747, in the rain - there was nothing worse!! I take the jettie anyday!

At least it was at the end of your trip and not the beginning--soaking wet would be a miserable way to start a 12 hour flight.

Guess I've always been lucky...I don't ever remember getting stuck in the rain when I had to use the stairs.

[ QUOTE ]
At least it was at the end of your trip and not the beginning--soaking wet would be a miserable way to start a 12 hour flight.

Guess I've always been lucky...I don't ever remember getting stuck in the rain when I had to use the stairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing like a company of Marines waiting on the tarmac in Atsugi, Japan, for a C-141 crew to get ready for us to embark - in ice cold rain!!!!

After about two hours, the crew chief comes out (with a steaming cup of coffee) to tell us that we can come on aboard.....sons of b*^ches.......

Mike D....you're not friends with any of those airlift types, are you??
grin.gif
tongue.gif

Back