Garmin 335 VS uAvionix

How does it not do what it’s intended to do?
What did you install on your plane?
My understanding, and I’ll recant the negative I’ve said if someone proves it incorrect, is that because the unit has no way of interfacing with your transponder directly, once you are out of ATC radar coverage for a certain time the unit stops broadcasting. I suppose it’s fine if you’re only operating in airspace with ATC radar coverage to the ground, but otherwise it stops working when you might actually want people to be able to see you. I’ve installed the Freeflight box (now licensed to Bendix King it looks like) in several aircraft. The GDL 82 looks like a good one, it would be very little extra labor if already installing a 430W and the equipment looks to be about the same cost as the tail beacon.

My understanding, and I’ll recant the negative I’ve said if someone proves it incorrect, is that because the unit has no way of interfacing with your transponder directly, once you are out of ATC radar coverage for a certain time the unit stops broadcasting. I suppose it’s fine if you’re only operating in airspace with ATC radar coverage to the ground, but otherwise it stops working when you might actually want people to be able to see you. I’ve installed the Freeflight box (now licensed to Bendix King it looks like) in several aircraft. The GDL 82 looks like a good one, it would be very little extra labor if already installing a 430W and the equipment looks to be about the same cost as the tail beacon.
So I'm not sure about the wing and tail mounted ones, but with the echoUAT you can run a serial from your transponder to the echo.

Key phrase ”if you already have a 430w.” I do not, just a straight 430. Not that I can’t afford the 5-6 hours of added labor, I’m running out of real estate for antennas. Also the airspace I fly, 90% of the time doesn’t fall in the 2020 mandate.

Second, this ADS-B is not a replacement for your eyeballs. It has certainly enhanced SA, but 100% of my avoiding aircraft has been with my eyeballs.

Let’s be honest with ourselves, the Lynn Canal is flown almost entirely in the “grey” of 135. Having ads-b was great, but we still have to see and avoid.

Key phrase ”if you already have a 430w.” I do not, just a straight 430. Not that I can’t afford the 5-6 hours of added labor, I’m running out of real estate for antennas. Also the airspace I fly, 90% of the time doesn’t fall in the 2020 mandate.

Second, this ADS-B is not a replacement for your eyeballs. It has certainly enhanced SA, but 100% of my avoiding aircraft has been with my eyeballs.

Let’s be honest with ourselves, the Lynn Canal is flown almost entirely in the “grey” of 135. Having ads-b was great, but we still have to see and avoid.
Well, it’s a good thing it’s not a replacement for eyeballs, because you get no ADSB in with that box. However, wouldn’t it be nice to show up on the other guys screen at that Midwest uncontrolled airport down below radar coverage, when he comes barreling in with his eyes glued to his shiny engine monitor because he’s terrified of shock cooling?

It doesn’t meet the spec as written, and shouldn’t have been approved. Garmin stuff that takes a little more work to install actually does the job it was intended to do (you know, like in the name “Automatic” and “Broadcast”)

Well, it’s a good thing it’s not a replacement for eyeballs, because you get no ADSB in with that box. However, wouldn’t it be nice to show up on the other guys screen at that Midwest uncontrolled airport down below radar coverage, when he comes barreling in with his eyes glued to his shiny engine monitor because he’s terrified of shock cooling?

It doesn’t meet the spec as written, and shouldn’t have been approved. Garmin stuff that takes a little more work to install actually does the job it was intended to do (you know, like in the name “Automatic” and “Broadcast”)
I’ll give you that, as an out only, it doesn’t replace the eyeballs. I was thinking more so the others with “in.”

There are so many gray and loop-holes areas with in part 43, 61 and 91, my level of GAF’s is non -existent when it came to the FAA sign off.
My only reason I went this route instead of a GDL 82 was a timing and somewhat cost.
I’m out $2000 for the tailbeacon then factor -$600 for the rebate and a $100 gift card. So ~$1400.

GDL82 would be around $2k + 5 hours + $200ish for a 35 antenna. -$500 for the rebate. So almost double.
As an end user, this is the most cost effective solution and easiest solution. Should there be SB’s or AD’s in the future, well, I’ll eat some crow and swap to an -82.

Current Transponders have been working just fine for the past few decades. It's not a safety issue. The FAA just wants an easier way to bust you if you go thru the wrong airspace, therefore I'm going with the cheaper solution as well. Specially when I have 5 aircraft in my fleet. I'm curious if there are going to be some good deals out there on airplanes from owners that don't want to spend the money and will just sell.

Current Transponders have been working just fine for the past few decades. It's not a safety issue. The FAA just wants an easier way to bust you if you go thru the wrong airspace, therefore I'm going with the cheaper solution as well. Specially when I have 5 aircraft in my fleet. I'm curious if there are going to be some good deals out there on airplanes from owners that don't want to spend the money and will just sell.
Theres a giant amount of airspace that doesnt even require adsb.

I’ll give you that, as an out only, it doesn’t replace the eyeballs. I was thinking more so the others with “in.”

There are so many gray and loop-holes areas with in part 43, 61 and 91, my level of GAF’s is non -existent when it came to the FAA sign off.
My only reason I went this route instead of a GDL 82 was a timing and somewhat cost.
I’m out $2000 for the tailbeacon then factor -$600 for the rebate and a $100 gift card. So ~$1400.

GDL82 would be around $2k + 5 hours + $200ish for a 35 antenna. -$500 for the rebate. So almost double.
As an end user, this is the most cost effective solution and easiest solution. Should there be SB’s or AD’s in the future, well, I’ll eat some crow and swap to an -82.
Again, in my case the cost difference between a GTX335 and the Tailbeacon was about $700. For the $700 I get a brand new transponder and encoder. I'll grant you in saving some installation costs as I have a family A&P, but I'll take the reliability of the new transponder as the difference in price.

I'm not an expert, but I'd assume you can put the WAAS GPS antenna in the safe place as your current one if you already have a 430. And again I'm totally shooting from the hip, but couldn't a 430 and GDL-82 share a single antenna?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Again, in my case the cost difference between a GTX335 and the Tailbeacon was about $700. For the $700 I get a brand new transponder and encoder. I'll grant you in saving some installation costs as I have a family A&P, but I'll take the reliability of the new transponder as the difference in price.

I'm not an expert, but I'd assume you can put the WAAS GPS antenna in the safe place as your current one if you already have a 430. And again I'm totally shooting from the hip, but couldn't a 430 and GDL-82 share a single antenna?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
The GDL82 May be able to take a serial position drop from a 430W, but it cannot share an antenna. In Narks case since he does not have WAAS he would need the separate antenna.

@Roger Roger my G5’s have /require WAAS. I have a 35 antenna. In theory could I tap in to the CAN to run a GPS signal to the GDL?
I want to say an avionics guy said no, needs a dedicated WAAS antenna, but I can’t remember.

@Roger Roger my G5’s have /require WAAS. I have a 35 antenna. In theory could I tap in to the CAN to run a GPS signal to the GDL?
I want to say an avionics guy said no, needs a dedicated WAAS antenna, but I can’t remember.
I don’t know.

Looks like no. The GDL doesn’t speak CAN and the G5/GAD don’t have an RS232 out. Which is dumb.

Last edited:
I’ve got a GTX 335 connected directly to the 35 antenna. I had the avionics shop stub out RS232 which, according to them, will tie into a G5 if I decide to go that route.

I replaced a Jurassic Narco transponder and ACK encoder with the 335. $4k for the transponder, GPS antenna, encoder, new fin antenna, all new coax and wiring harness. The shop calibrated the encoder to my altimeter. I installed it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got a GTX 335 connected directly to the 35 antenna. I had the avionics shop stub out RS232 which, according to them, will tie into a G5 if I decide to go that route.

I replaced a Jurassic Narco transponder and ACK encoder with the 335. $4k for the transponder, GPS antenna, encoder, new fin antenna, all new coax and wiring harness. The shop calibrated the encoder to my altimeter. I installed it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does the 335 do anonymous mode?

Not that I’m aware of, but I haven’t been digging through the the settings looking for it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not that I’m aware of, but I haven’t been digging through the the settings looking for it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it doesn't have a true anonymous mode, it gets a hard pass from me.
That seems to be a quite overlooked feature by the manufacturers.

Anyone have any more thoughts on this now that we're a few months into the mandate? Considering a Uavionix tailbeacon at Annual. I don't fly in rule airspace so I don't need to have it, it would just be a safety enhancement. I really cannot justify 4-5k for a Garmin/Stratus install. That's almost 10% the value of the airplane and would definitely not add much to resale value. Has their reliability improved or is it still pretty spotty?

Last edited:
Anyone have any more thoughts on this now that we're a few months into the mandate? Considering a Uavionix tailbeacon at Annual. I don't fly in rule airspace so I don't need to have it, it would just be a safety enhancement. I really cannot justify 4-5k for a Garmin/Stratus install. That's almost 10% the value of the airplane and would definitely not add much to resale value. Has their reliability improved or is it still pretty spotty?
I have the tailbeacon on both of my toys. Works good. Lasts long time.

Back