Garmin 335 VS uAvionix

mrivc211

I'm upgrading the avionics and panel in my 172's. The upgrade is running me about $80,000. However, if I go with the wingtip ADS-B uavionix unit, I can save $3,000. My concern is what happens if they lose the lawsuit. Will my unit be de-certified? Will they grandfather in old units and just stop selling? My buddy just bought 8 uavionix for his fleet and seems to think even if they lose they won't make you replace them. Whats everyones thoughts?

Uavionix is junk that should not have been certified. Go garmin.
I’m getting tired of waiting on the tailbeacon. Those that have it for their experimentals, They like it.

Why should I go garmin, like a GDL-82?
Does the GDL provide traffic in on my 430?

I’m getting tired of waiting on the tailbeacon. Those that have it for their experimentals, They like it.

I was torn between the tail beacon and the GTX-335. I knew I couldn't do the wingtip one in the 140...

In the end, the Garmin is about a grand more than the tail beacon, but that includes a GPS antenna, encoder and it's a brand new transponder, not my 30 year old Cessna 300...

Neither the Sky/tail beacon, GDL-82, nor the GTX-335 will feed info into the 430. You'd need at least a 345 to get ADS-B in to the 430. However, if you look at what 'in' data is supported on the 530/430 it's pretty limited. In my dad's plane, which has a 530W, we opted to run a portable GDL-50 to Garmin Pilot on the iPad. It's a much better interface than on the legacy Garmin navigators.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I’m getting a 430 put in all three of my planes.

I was unaware of the lawsuit against Uavionix. Looks I'll be installing a GTX335.

You can use the GTX 345 to send ADSB data to your tablet as well. Several other boxes on the market will do the same thing, if you’re not married to Garmin. Personally I would suggest that route, because Honeywell moves with the speed of a gigantic multinational corporation we have to use a Stratus to get ADSB in in the Pilatus and I hate having that extra box in the cockpit.

Tailbeacon is shipping today.
I’ll report back after I install it. Seems like a very simple solution.

Tailbeacon is shipping today.
I’ll report back after I install it. Seems like a very simple solution.
If it’s like the rest of the Uavionix junk, it doesn’t work. If you get outside of ATC radar you’ll stop transmitting. Which negates most of the point of ADSB. Should never have been approved.

If it’s like the rest of the Uavionix junk, it doesn’t work. If you get outside of ATC radar you’ll stop transmitting. Which negates most of the point of ADSB. Should never have been approved.
Ya, I never pulled the trigger. Still have the 327 in the panel. Still hoping for better solutions for reasonable prices. The total cost of the hardware in these things is in the $100 range. So even 1k is ridiculous.

Got the Tailbeacon and installed it in about 30 minutes. 28 of that was looking for a heat source to heat-shrink the connectors.

Took it for a spin, but failed since I wasn't in proper airspace long enough. Good excuse to go fly tomorrow.

Got the Tailbeacon and installed it in about 30 minutes. 28 of that was looking for a heat source to heat-shrink the connectors.

Took it for a spin, but failed since I wasn't in proper airspace long enough. Good excuse to go fly tomorrow.
whats the diff between the tail beacon vs the wingtip version?

whats the diff between the tail beacon vs the wingtip version?
Nothing, other than 9 months of hold up from the FAA signing off the STC.

Function is exactly the same. I should mention though: the tail beacon doesn’t strobe but the wing tip can (skyBeacon). You can toggle that in the app during set up.

I don’t get kick backs for this product (like I have with others), so I’m not going to ham it up. It’s a cheap solution to a mandated action.

It’s a cheap solution that neither meets the intent nor the letter of the law and should not have been certified in its current configuration #changemymind.

It’s a cheap solution that neither meets the intent nor the letter of the law and should not have been certified in its current configuration #changemymind.
And cheap solutions are a bad thing?

Unless you own Garmin or a shareholder in either company, why do you give 2 craps about the issue? If the solution works and its cheaper than others, who the hell cares if its a gray area. Theres a lot of gray areas in every part of life but life goes on.

And cheap solutions are a bad thing?

Unless you own Garmin or a shareholder in either company, why do you give 2 craps about the issue? If the solution works and its cheaper than others, who the hell cares if its a gray area. Theres a lot of gray areas in every part of life but life goes on.
It doesn’t do what the product is intended to do. That’s a bad thing. The FAA already is going to get nailed for allowing a screwed up ADSB product out and facilitating a midair. It’s only a matter of time before they decide this halfway solution was a bad idea too.

It doesn’t do what the product is intended to do. That’s a bad thing. The FAA already is going to get nailed for allowing a screwed up ADSB product out and facilitating a midair. It’s only a matter of time before they decide this halfway solution was a bad idea too.
It should be an easy software fix.

How does it not do what it’s intended to do?
What did you install on your plane?

Back