Game Show Question

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
59295009_10220316541250808_4431898661647024128_n.jpg

Go!

Early morning wx over MEM center...

FAA: I know you’re taxiing to the runway right now in BOS, but that wx is concerning us so let’s go with the CAN CHICA route to SFO today just to be safe.

Capt : I want another 2000lbs of fuel.
Disp: is there something you are seeing that I’m not? It’s VFR, no VIP, no reroutes/ATC delays, no rwy closures, and everyone is reporting good rides.
Capt: well I flew this route a couple months ago and it was pretty bumpy and 5.2 arrival is below my personal minimum.

When asked a reason for a fuel add large enough to require a new release (just so I have something to put on the new release) reply, "Because I'm the captain and that's how much fuel I want."

When asked a reason for a fuel add large enough to require a new release (just so I have something to put on the new release) reply, "Because I'm the captain and that's how much fuel I want."
I wonder what the response from management would be if you put that on there as the captains reasoning.

Can we delay the flight be an hour or two? The weather on my phone looks pretty bad for the next few hours and I just want to wait it out.
They are well within their right to delay. But why do it based on their phone radar instead of looking at official aviation weather reports? The airlines pay for access to great weather resources such as WSI Pilotbrief might as well make use of them.

NE to west coast transcon flight:

Captain: Hey uhh, just looking at the the route you filed us on and looks like we'll be going right through the weather over Reno
DX: That weather is over Reno NOW, not in 6 hours.

They are well within their right to delay. But why do it based on their phone radar instead of looking at official aviation weather reports? The airlines pay for access to great weather resources such as WSI Pilotbrief might as well make use of them.
Because it's 100x easier to pull up weather on your default phone app than it is to log into WSI, pull up radar, bring up the area they are in, and look at the future cast. I think I have only had 1 pilot actually mention they had WSI up when they called asking about the weather. Most of the time it is "The TAF says this," or "It looks bad on my phone," or "it looks bad out there."

That is why my reason is "captain asked for xxxx fuel." Then my manager knows that it was a captain request and to move the questions about it over to flight.

Had a CA once who called up to report the departure field was closed due to TS then asked why their departure was routed through wx. The wx was literally surrounding the field, that was CLOSED.

If you were a dispatcher you'd know that access to pilotbrief isn't always given to the pilots. They don't want the pilots to go off the reservation without consulting dispatch over wx.

“So, talk to me about this flight plan that sends us right through this line of sever thunderstorms and then over a tropical storm, working twelve flights? It’s ok, I’ll wait”

:)

Back