Game Show Question

Ohh Ohh!! I have another one!

CA: Why aren't we getting our takeoff numbers?

ME: Looks like you are over your Max ZFW.

CA: Can we get a closer alternate or just sit out here for a while to burn some fuel off to get under our weight?

I've had that one also (but it's been several years ago.) Also had requests for fuel adds that would exceed the max tank capacity of the aircraft - once again, not for several years though.

Very surprised more airlines don't have policies on the fuel adding. I can't remember Republic's policy, but I do know there was one. Here at Allegiant though, there's pilot discretionary fuel. They can add up to 1k without notifying us. If Its 1,001 lbs. then they "are supposed" to contact us and we can have a discussion, and then amend the release. It even blocks the crew from doing their W&B if their departure fuel is over 2,000.

Back on topic, one of my colleagues has gotten this call not too long ago: "Though the minimums are legal, they are below my personal minimums so I don't feel comfortable operating this flight." My jaw dropped on that one. Let me say that guy got a pretty funny nickname that stuck around for a while.

My personal favorite, and I don't rag on the crews too hard for this as its 100x more common for us to be familiar with t/o alternates than for flight crews. When amending on a takeoff alternate, they ask "how much fuel does that add?" I guess hypothetically if you have a 45 minute flight, and the t/o alternate is 60 minutes away, you hypothetically could require more fuel haha!

At my last shop we.had crj200's and their airworthiness directive requires that if you have a takeoff alt, we had to plan for the ac to fly to it with flaps stuck at 20. Frequently had to add fuel for takeoff alts on short hops

At my last shop we.had crj200's and their airworthiness directive requires that if you have a takeoff alt, we had to plan for the ac to fly to it with flaps stuck at 20. Frequently had to add fuel for takeoff alts on short hops
Thank good the 200s have been getting rarer and rarer.

Not mine, but a good story.

Part 121 flight taking off from the middle of no where. Hour and a half past ETD wondering what is going on with flight that hasn’t been heard from, dispatch gets a phone call from station ops.

Ops: Hey uh, so do we need a new release?
Dx: What for?
Ops: For the flight to continue on, they’re back here.
Dx: Get me the captain now.
10 minutes later.
Capt: Hey I don’t need a new release do I?
Dx: What in the world is going on.
Capt: Well we had a mechanical about half an hour after takeoff so I returned to the departure station. I just fixed the plane and we’re all good to go.
Dx: You have to notify us of a mechanical issue and you can’t divert yourself unless you declared an emergency.
Capt: Consider yourself notified.

Part 121 flight taking off from the middle of no where. Hour and a half past ETD wondering what is going on with flight that hasn’t been heard from, dispatch gets a phone call from station ops.

10 minutes later.
Capt: Well we had a mechanical about half an hour after takeoff so I returned to the departure station. I just fixed the plane and we’re all good to go.
Dx: You have to notify us of a mechanical issue and you can’t divert yourself unless you declared an emergency.

That's funny
One question, why would the dispatcher say "you can't divert unless you declared an emergency"

Probably that whole “change of destination amendment” you would need unless the captain was exercising his emergency authority...

That's funny
One question, why would the dispatcher say "you can't divert unless you declared an emergency"
I was wondering the same thing. What about when ACARS is inop and the flight is planned at min fuel. Holding = diversion and no time to call dispatch.

I was wondering the same thing. What about when ACARS is inop and the flight is planned at min fuel. Holding = diversion and no time to call dispatch.
Which would probably constitute an emergency in which Capt declares and gets to safety ASAP...

Which would probably constitute an emergency in which Capt declares and gets to safety ASAP...
When you are diverting to your planned alternate and landing above reserve fuel the CA isn't going to be declaring. I've had this scenario happen a couple of times. When I spoke to the CA afterwards I agreed with the decision they made and we tried again. We had a plan and they followed it.

Change of destination? Sounds like he returned to his departure station.

Yeah that’s how I read it to, an air return. But because that is a different destination than what was listed on the release, technically it is a change of destination.

Obviously if the captain is low and slow and busy then he’s going to do what is safest and it’s not really our job to be like, “whoa captain, you did not clear this with me first.” However if it’s my flight and there is time and captain isn’t using emergency authority I’m going to check landing weight, make the amendment, and make sure the return airport doesn’t require an alternate.

10 minutes later.
Wait, if they were half an hour out and returned how did Dx not notice?
Also, what kind of operation involving an actual dispatcher has pilots that are their own A&Ps.
This whole thing confuses me.

Wait, if they were half an hour out and returned how did Dx not notice?
Also, what kind of operation involving an actual dispatcher has pilots that are their own A&Ps.
This whole thing confuses me.
An airline that had no business trying to be a 121 operation. Think scheduled bush flying. No acars, non radar environment, old planes, and 135 mentality. Pilot was no an A&P, dispatchers weren’t top notch and have extremely limited resources.

When I worked at ATA, all the FE's (B727/L1011) had to have an A&P license. Because of the places that ATA flew to, there may not be anyone who would even be remotely qualified as a mechanic. Thus the company always had one available.

Even when those aircraft were replaced the FE's, now turned FO's, still kept their A&P's current per the company policies.

I think what the CA meant when he claimed to fix it himself, was that he called MX control directly and they got it done without calling Dickscratch. I exp that too many times and the regional show.

I think what the CA meant when he claimed to fix it himself, was that he called MX control directly and they got it done without calling Dickscratch. I exp that too many times and the regional show.
Hmm....not sure if I should be amused or offended....

Back