GA to airlines

Pilot86

Hi all,

For one interested in a&p, how does one go from GA to working on the big jets as a mechanic ?

What is the path, and what areas are best to make a good living as an a&p?

Thanks!

I've never had any desire to work for the airline's, but my classmates from AP school that did simply applied. I'm not sure how the job market is now, but back then (early 90's) there wasn't much demand, so a few of them ended up working in baggage handling or some other function for a year or two until a maintenance position opened up, but as far as I know they all got hired.

Just apply, there is a shortage of A&Ps at the airlines (regionals). I know Trans States is offering a bonus for referring mechanics. Although the working conditions aren't the best.

Well, based on the number of ads I'm seeing on my Facebook feed all the regionals are looking for mechs and offering moving, signing, referral, etc bonuses. So basically just pick some and apply. 121 mx seems really easy compared to GA, most everything is spoon fed to you by a work card and an mx controller, only thing is get used to working nights because you'll probably be doing it until you die and your soul rests with the Snap-On man's collection.

Ok,
So you say the best working conditions and quality of life is to remain in GA? Im currently working as a machinist, how close is that trade involved in aircraft maintenance if you are working just as an a&p? Thanks!

My brother in law works in machining and made more me than I do (like twice as much) as an AP/IA. Although to be fair he has 10 years more experience and works a shift of overtime every week, whereas I have deliberately stayed in low paying jobs because I love general aviation and small towns, and refuse to move 'up' to the higher paying big city/airline gigs. Also, I put more stock in qol than a paycheck, so I'm not one to work overtime unless it's needed by the company. The other difference is that he's worked nights his entire life.
Notice I said he 'made' more than me ... recently his position was transferred to a different plant that he couldn't commute to, and he hated his new position, so he transferred to a different plant, moved, and is now making a little more than half of what I make.
None of this may directly apply to you, but I think the answer to which profession pays more, and which offers better qol, is highly dependent on where you live, and what direction you take in that profession, their are a lot of variables there.

Ok, thanks! How much of a benefit is it to have your AI? Does it open a lot if doors and allow you to have a bigger salary?

Ok,
So you say the best working conditions and quality of life is to remain in GA? Im currently working as a machinist, how close is that trade involved in aircraft maintenance if you are working just as an a&p? Thanks!
Just depends what you want out of life and what the industry is doing.

IA is useless at airlines or any bigger MRO facility.
^agreed<^ the IA is only useful if you need it, it'll be useless in the airline industry. The only place it might come in handy is if you wanted to work into a DOM position at a smaller GA operation. Keep in mind though that the IA or DOM positions are usually much less hands on and more of a paperwork/record keeping position.

Back