GA departing Bravo

tower does not waive fees. there is no authority there. LMAO. either they duped u, or u got outta there scott free without anyone noticing u didn't pay your landing fees. again...LMAO @ tower waiving fees.

So I just called the approach facility around here and talked to a controller.

He said "shame on us" if we vector you into class B without giving you clearance.
He also said technically you need a clearance to enter class B, so the way he worded it a vector is not enough.
Another thing he mentioned is that they might not have the class B map always up so they might not be 100% sure if you're in or out.
Another thing that was mentioned is that if you're unsure at any time, ask.

My conclusion:
I will ask, regardless if they give a vector to put you inside.

yep! ive had vectors or instructions sometimes without hearing the magic word and right away i just come back and when reading back the instruction add "verify cleared into the bravo?"

never hurts to ask to verify.

My understanding is that the FAA ruled (or maybe it was the NTSB on somebody's appeal), if you are told to "fly heading 180, maintain VFR", you're still required to select an altitude that will keep you clear of Bravo. On the other hand, if you hear "flying heading 180, maintain 5000", the law would consider that an implied clearance.

But if you're like me and prefer not to get the lawyers and judges involved, get the "magic words" on the tape, or file IFR.

My understanding is that the FAA ruled (or maybe it was the NTSB on somebody's appeal), if you are told to "fly heading 180, maintain VFR", you're still required to select an altitude that will keep you clear of Bravo. On the other hand, if you hear "flying heading 180, maintain 5000", the law would consider that an implied clearance.

But if you're like me and prefer not to get the lawyers and judges involved, get the "magic words" on the tape, or file IFR.

That was my understanding - you are given a heading and an altitude that takes you into bravo, that is an implied clearance. Though it doesn't take long to say "verify cleared in to bravo".

Just and idea, but the last time I flew into DIA I called the tower beforehand. They were really nice about the whole thing, waived the fees, and still knew I was comming without being on a clearance (IFR). I just hate dealing with Denver Approach!

Let me clarify:
There were multiple phone calls. One to the tower to make sure the airspace wasn't busy at that time of the night and to verify that I could get my slow 172 to make a full stop without bothering other aircraft or causing any delays.
The next phone call was to Signature to see if we could park there for a few minutes in order to load or unload passengers. We didn't need fuel, tie downs, or any other services so we asked them to waive the 'service fees' and they did.
When I completed my flight in 2005, the tower didn't charge landing fees for GA. Now I think it's $40.00.

My original point was make a few phone calls prior to arrival just to get a feel for the procedures and what is going to be expected from the pilot at a busy airport that he may be unfamilier with, procedurely. To find out where he is going to be taxiing to and have a route in mind (Especially with all the confusion at that large an airport). I count all this as good flight planning.

He said "shame on us" if we vector you into class B without giving you clearance.
He also said technically you need a clearance to enter class B, so the way he worded it a vector is not enough

Yeah... sometimes you get the correct instructions, but the clearance part gets missed.

Yesterday, I was up flying VFR-on-top (Low IFR at the ground, low tops, so filed IFR and cancelled on top). I picked up a pop-up to get back in when my student was done with the VFR maneuvers, got vectored to the LOC, cleared for the approach, and then someone at approach realized I hadn't technically been cleared IFR to the airport, so I got that as well :D

Like everybody else said, don't enter until they say "cleared into bravo".

On a separate note, every time I've told the controller that I couldn't accept the vector he/she always said, "thank you". Then either proceeded to clear me into bravo or give me something that would work. So don't worry about getting snapped at or feel like you are causing a problem. I don't know anything from their side of things but they always seemed genuinely thankful I didn't enter their airspace.

Back