Furloughs and Open Time

That is a REALLY frustrating thing about Colgan is all the bases. You could be pretty senior, and still end up with a crap schedule because one guy ahead of you is senior at a base with only three lines. I would love hub basing...just so I could get a schedule that actually matches my seniority in the company a little bit more..

Hub basing was the rumor there the entire time I was.

Just a warning, if you're going to cease flying extra trips in open time... which I completely agree with refraining from doing so, just make sure it's a personal decision rather than an concerted effort.

If the company presses the issue, they can shop for judges that will punish the group for not volunteering to fly voluntary overtime at historic levels or some crap like that. I can't remember the words for it but we got slapped down for that a few year back.

Godspeed, everyone.
isn't that type of punishment only for union guys? Colgan's not union (yet), so how can they be punished?

Hub basing was the rumor there the entire time I was.

eh...i think they continually revisit the issue with the NE saabs and for some reason it always comes up cheaper the way they have it now...a sorta semi-hub thing. sucks.

Haha...thats the thing at Colgan. You're always the junior guy on the todem pole with 20+ bases and the high turn over rate and the fact that they never really had *reserves*. Things might have changed since I left, but I doubt it.

EWR is a big hub base. There's quite a few lines here and reserves. I'm pretty senior in EWR although once teller1900 comes over he will bump me down. If you were still here you would be like number 3 or 4 in EWR as an FO. I haven't seen any turnover lately, I think nowadays everyones just happy they have a job and trying to hold onto it.

I haven't seen that yet, but I have seen them call station personnel and have them withhold the release until the errant crew member calls scheduling...they love doing that.
They stopped doing that here because our crews would just sit there and take the delay and then code it on dispatch and 0d numbers are rather important these days.

They tried making hotels not give you your key to your room until you called crew tracking once or twice.

Anyone who picks up open time while pilots are furloughed should have his kneecaps disposed of by his fellow pilots.

Totally agree. I'm sure the guys on furlough have families and they would like to eat as well.

If they don't have coverage bring some guys back to sit reserve.

Anyone who picks up open time while pilots are furloughed should have his kneecaps disposed of by his fellow pilots.

About what I said before... National wimped out and reverted to the old policy. Apparently management at a certain major that was planning a furlough got word about the policy change and started making noise.

Thing is, you'd THINK pilots at that level would know better anyways.

Pickup After Dropping & Kneecaps

Here's a twist on the basic "pickup during furloughs and you're part of the problem."

What if someone gets awarded a 90 hour line, and then drops everything they can all the way down to about 60 hours and 20 days off. Then, they pickup open time or advertised trips as the month goes on (not 150% or anything extra -- picking up stuff at normal pay), ending the month with a total of 80 hours which is 10 less than their original awarded line was.

They picked up open time during furloughs, but the NET result was that they put 10 extra hours of open time out there.

Anyone have a problem with that? Would someone doing this get to keep their kneecaps?

Re: Pickup After Dropping & Kneecaps

That's perfectly reasonable. I think what everyone is referring to is picking up extra time over the original line value.

Re: Pickup After Dropping & Kneecaps

If you want to feel OK about yourself don't pick up open time, if you want/need the money pick it up. In others words, do what you feel is right. That's my $0.02.

If it came down to it, and I had to pick up OT to pay my mortgage, car, insurance, medical bills, etc. guess what I'm going to do it. But at the same time, I'm not going to go picking up OT left and right unless I absolutely had no choice. And I wouldn't worry about what others thought of me, because I am me in my own situation. You're not crossing a picket line, someone who bids a 95 hour line is doing the same thing as someone bidding a 75 hour line and picking up a 20 hour trip.

EWR is a big hub base. There's quite a few lines here and reserves. I'm pretty senior in EWR although once teller1900 comes over he will bump me down. If you were still here you would be like number 3 or 4 in EWR as an FO. I haven't seen any turnover lately, I think nowadays everyones just happy they have a job and trying to hold onto it.

Don't worry, I'm HOPING for ORF...hopefully I won't have to bump you for too long :).

We fly to HEF on Tuesday to start the fun. I'm working on the FMS training software right now. Broken-leg-Richardson is going to be there, too.

Congrats on the class, and it's good to hear Richardson is coming back. He's been out for a long time. You guys are going to St Louis?

Snuggle your avatar disgusts me. ;)

Secondly, glad to see JR back on the line. He provided me a good interview story I can use for the rest of my career :).

Congrats on the class, and it's good to hear Richardson is coming back. He's been out for a long time. You guys are going to St Louis?

Thanks! I'm definitely looking forward to finally getting in there after this last month or two :panic:.

JR had his recurrent second week of June and has spent about two or three weeks on the line in 1900 now...sounds like they threw him right back into it as soon as they could!

As far as I know it'll be STL. Right now they only have the HEF portion on the schedule, though, so who knows.

seggy said:
Snuggle your avatar disgusts me. ;)

Secondly, glad to see JR back on the line. He provided me a good interview story I can use for the rest of my career :).

What's the story?!? It doesn't have anything to do with forgotten ID badges or staying hydrated, does it?:laff:

Back