Funny Pirep

People enjoy roller coasters but don't enjoy severe turbulence... I don't understand. Maybe I've been flying freight for too many years but a good 'bout of unintentional (I don't blast through the worst areas of weather knowingly) moderate to severe turbulence is kinda fun. pull the power backs and enjoy the ride.

Honestly, my dream job is those people that intentionally blast through hurricanes getting weather data. God that sounds like fun.

People enjoy roller coasters but don't enjoy severe turbulence... I don't understand. Maybe I've been flying freight for too many years but a good 'bout of unintentional (I don't blast through the worst areas of weather knowingly) moderate to severe turbulence is kinda fun. pull the power backs and enjoy the ride.

Honestly, my dream job is those people that intentionally blast through hurricanes getting weather data. God that sounds like fun.
me too. it would be awersome to take a c130 into a hurricane!

I seem to remember sever turb includes structural damage to the a/c.

I can't remember the source,.

I think that would be classified as extreme turbulance. I have experienced severe turbulance before and it is not something that I would want to see twice.

One time I was flying in IMC and had a nasty thunderstorm in front of me. I didn't have weather radar and didn't know that it was there. All of sudden it started to get really dark. The airplane was being pelted by very heavy rain. I had lightning all around me and the airplane got tossed up and down and side to side. I hit a bad updraft and couldn't stop the airplane from climbing. I pulled the throttles to idle and pointed the nose streight down. I still climbed 1,000 feet. The turbulance was so bad I could barely read the instruments. I told ATC that I couldn't hold altitude, and he said to just maintain any altitude that I could. There wasn't any other traffic in the area.

About two minutes later I was out of it and broke into clear blue skies. It was the longest two minutes of my life. And to top it off, I get this next transmission from ATC: "Ramex xxx, how was your ride through that area of extreme precipitation?" I reported it as sever turbulance and I don't think that I was wrong in my assessment.

Back