Fun day on the runway.

flyboywbl

3rd regional in 1 year
Well i had a fun day at the office today. Probably one of the best weather days we have had in Bozeman for weeks. I've had to cancel with students left and right the last few weeks because of the snow storms. Needless to say i was excited to go flying.

The student prefighted the plane. and we taxied down to 12. We did a normal run up and pulled up to the hold short line. We were cleared for takeoff with no delay because there was a plane landing on the crosswind runway. The student brought the power up and the airspeed came alive. At about 20 knots the plane started vibrating violently and i pulled the throttle back to idle. Then it yawed hard to the right.

I called the tower and told them i thought we had a flat tire (I had never had one before but I assumed thats what it was). They told us that our takeoff clearance was canceled. They asked if we could taxi on the bad tire so i tried and it would just turn sharp to the right. The tower told us to hold on the runway and then laughed and said, "Well i guess thats all you can do." They called the FBO for a tug and we waited.

We sat on the runway for a good ten minutes until the tug arrived. An inbound RJ-200 had to circle a bit and wait. Then we pulled the plane over to the de-ice pad. I had to wait with the plane for about an hour while the A&P pulled the tire off, went back to the shop to get a new tube, pack the bearings, and come back and install the fixed tire.

The weather was nice and i just BSed with the airport field manager. Wish i could have flown though.

The icing on the cake...
Determined to fly something, I went home and packed my car with a few RC airplanes and headed off to the RC field. I got there and the runway was still covered with snow and i could not even get in the drive way. The powers at be just did not want me to fly today. Oh well...

here is a picture of the plane on the jack.

n43803973_32504528_7757753.jpg

Any way I hope some of you guys got to enjoy the great flying weather.

-Matt

You put two people in that thing?!:panic: I thought my 150 looked cramped

it's actually really roomy. I'm 6'2" 225 lbs and i'm fine. With the peddles all the way forward my head does not touch the ceiling. You do bump elbows with the student. I would not want to do a x-country for any long period of time with another person. The first time i saw a 20 i thought it was a single seater. I also weighed 270 at the time. I did all my training in the DA-40 and DA-42. Then i flew by my self in the 20 to build cheep hours for my Commercial. When i got my CFI i did a weight and balance for a 20 and i realized I needed to lose some weight. If you want my diet secrete, i'll never tell :D. I realized i had a CFI and i could not teach in the plane because it was way WAY over weight with me and another.

-Matt

that's some beautiful scenery though.

I'm never leaving. I want to find a way to be a CFI in the valley for ever :D.

It's funny if you look at some of my first posts on this forum (back in 2007) i was moaning that i could not fly jets for the airlines yet and how i longed to get out of the trainers. Now i really don't care if i ever fly a big shinny jet. As long as i'm flying something i'll be happy. I think i might get my Heli CFI this summer and add to the excitement. There is a cargo company here that flies Beech 1900's single pilot, back and forth from bozeman to billings. I might look into it when i get some more hours but until then the flight instructing is awesome. I just wish i could get some more students. I should talk to Obama about a FBO stimulus package. :D

and i thought the DA40 was ugly...

Weird, when i came into PFN on Tuesday same thing happened, DA20 on the taxiway, no tire...

and i thought the DA40 was ugly...

Weird, when i came into PFN on Tuesday same thing happened, DA20 on the taxiway, no tire...

you frequent KPFN? im there all the time on time building flights. close to home in tlh

had a really bald spot on the main that blew out on landing. had a similar exciting situation. ;) It really was my fault for taking off with it that bad in the first place. oh well, you live and learn

The icing on the cake...
Determined to fly something, I went home and packed my car with a few RC airplanes and headed off to the RC field. I got there and the runway was still covered with snow and i could not even get in the drive way. The powers at be just did not want me to fly today. Oh well...

Nice to see a felow RC'er in the forums.

Carl Goldber Aniversy Cub W/ o.s. 48 surpass (yes the old .48 still runs strong)
WM Dago Red w/ys 1.10
Lanier RC 1/4 scale Lasr200 w/os 1.08 (Old kit, not the ARF)
WM Midget Mustang w/Magnum .91
E-Flight Blade CP Pro
Heli Max MX-400 Pro

Wachya got in yer hanger?

When I was a CFI in the DA20 I had 3 flat tires. Two of them were mains and you're right, you just can't go anywhere. The other one was a nosewheel and thankfully I was able to get to the ramp by holding some weight off the nose.

Nice to see a felow RC'er in the forums.

Carl Goldber Aniversy Cub W/ o.s. 48 surpass (yes the old .48 still runs strong)
WM Dago Red w/ys 1.10
Lanier RC 1/4 scale Lasr200 w/os 1.08 (Old kit, not the ARF)
WM Midget Mustang w/Magnum .91
E-Flight Blade CP Pro
Heli Max MX-400 Pro

Wachya got in yer hanger?

3D,
Showtime 4D 90, Evo 1.00 NX

Sport,
Four Star 120, Ryobi 31cc weedwacker conversion
Four Star 60, OS 91 Surpass four stroke
Four Star 40, OS 52 Surpass four stroke
Great planes T-craft 20 (on floats, see my avitar), OS 30 Surpass four stroke
Hobbico Twin Star ARF, 2x os 25FX's

Combat,
3 of my own design made from a wiffle ball bat and cut out foam insulation for the wings. all have OS 25 FX's

Heli's,
Thunder Tiger Raptor 50 Titan, OS 50 hyper
Sceadu Evo 30 OS 37sz
T-rex 450 SE
Blade MCX

Radio
Futaba 9C super with a Spektrum 2.4 module

I've been flying rc for about 8 years now. It's what got me into flying real airplanes. If you can fly an RC airplane you will have no problem with the real deal. My next project is going to be the Top-Flite Douglas DC-3. I have to wait till next winter for this one because my wife cut me off for the year. The switch to 2.4 was NOT cheep but i think it was worth it in the long run!

-Matt

You put two people in that thing?!:panic: I thought my 150 looked cramped

It has quite a bit more room in it than a 150 believe it or not. I have about 40 hours in a 20, and its a fun airplane. Cant say the same about the 150....

:sarcasm:
it's actually really roomy. I'm 6'2" 225 lbs and i'm fine. With the peddles all the way forward my head does not touch the ceiling. You do bump elbows with the student. I would not want to do a x-country for any long period of time with another person. The first time i saw a 20 i thought it was a single seater. I also weighed 270 at the time. I did all my training in the DA-40 and DA-42. Then i flew by my self in the 20 to build cheep hours for my Commercial. When i got my CFI i did a weight and balance for a 20 and i realized I needed to lose some weight. If you want my diet secrete, i'll never tell :D. I realized i had a CFI and i could not teach in the plane because it was way WAY over weight with me and another.

-Matt

Weight and balance??? Whats that?:sarcasm::D

-Matt
Weight loss plan, let me guess, max of 1500 calories a day, lots of water, and about 1 hour of cardio every day.

Weight loss plan, let me guess, max of 1500 calories a day, lots of water, and about 1 hour of cardio every day.

Bingo. It's the classic stop eating so much diet. I do play hockey to so that helps. I found this chili in a can that i really like it's called Stag Chili. Its about 1.79 a can and there is about 600 calories in it. Two of those with some fresh fruit and veggies and i was good to go! and it was super cheap. I tryed NutraSystems and oh man what a rip off. You pay 300 a month for the crappy food and then you have to spend another 300 a month at the grocery stor for produce and such. Dan Mario can suck it :D. Plus are you gonna eat NutraSytem for ever? NO, you have to learn how to eat normal food in moderation any way. Might as well just start with real food.

-Matt

Back