Fueling: Tips and Tricks

Hey, anyone have any ideas for CJ1s. I was asked to top one off the other day and for 200 gallons it was SLOWWWWWWWWWWW!

Hey, anyone have any ideas for CJ1s. I was asked to top one off the other day and for 200 gallons it was SLOWWWWWWWWWWW!
Havent fueled one. But I do know what SLOWWWWWW is. It is fueling an Astra or G100 when the temperature is well below zero, and the wind is howling.

We had one based at the FBO I worked at. Let the nozzle sit on top of the screen at a 90 degree angle to the top of the wing. Go as fast as you can letting the bowl above the screen fill up and adjust the rate as necessary to keep it from over flowing. Stop the flow periodically to see if the fuel level in the bowl remains constant (close to topping off) or if it goes back down through the screen (keep going). Once it's close cut the rate in half and watch the level in the bowl till its topped.

I agree though they are painfully slow to top off, but certainly not the worst.

This post brought to you by beta from my iPhone.

Havent fueled one. But I do know what SLOWWWWWW is. It is fueling an Astra or G100 when the temperature is well below zero, and the wind is howling.

How about a Caravan on amphibs? Standing on top of the fuel truck that's parked under the wing in below zero temps with 25 knot winds. Wings rocking so much the nozzle won't keep the flpeninsula the filler neck open all the time, making fuel shoot everywhere when it closes...

That or an MU-2 when you're by yourself. Six tanks with a max 30 gallon imbalance IIRC...

How about a Caravan on amphibs? Standing on top of the fuel truck that's parked under the wing in below zero temps with 25 knot winds. Wings rocking so much the nozzle won't keep the flpeninsula the filler neck open all the time, making fuel shoot everywhere when it closes...

That or an MU-2 when you're by yourself. Six tanks with a max 30 gallon imbalance IIRC...
Say wha?

Havent done a Caravan on Amphibs. Sounds crazy though. It gets interesting when trying to fuel a plane from a ladder, but the ramp is so icy the ladder wants to blow away with you on it. Crazy stuff.

Never done a caravan on amphibs but I've been there with the mootoo. Hauling hoses back and forth and back and forth and back and forth.....

Havent done a Caravan on Amphibs. Sounds crazy though. It gets interesting when trying to fuel a plane from a ladder, but the ramp is so icy the ladder wants to blow away with you on it. Crazy stuff.

Fueled a G1 before and the ladder slipped out from under me and all that was left was the fuel hose in the hole and me hanging on like an idiot 10 ft above the ramp

I've heard the best idea is to fuel one wing half way. The other full. Then go back and top off the other side. One of the instructor's at my flight school told us a story about how he just topped off one side and got a ladder stuck under the wing... o_O

If you fuel up a Diamond Twin Star just keep spraying until fuel is leaking out the fuel vents. Or at least thats what all the line guys do everywhere we visit... :)

I've heard the best idea is to fuel one wing half way. The other full. Then go back and top off the other side. One of the instructor's at my flight school told us a story about how he just topped off one side and got a ladder stuck under the wing... o_O

If you fuel up a Diamond Twin Star just keep spraying until fuel is leaking out the fuel vents. Or at least thats what all the line guys do everywhere we visit... :)

Had a line "gal" pull a low lead truck in front of a twin star and start pulling the hose out. I never saw a pilot run so fast across the ramp hahaha :bounce:

AWESOME PLANE! but the filler cap is located about 3 feet in from the leading edge so you have to lean a bit. Add an icy ramp and a windy day and you're in for a show
I agree. It is an awesome airplane. One showed up one night and left a nice smoke cloud. The CASA 212 is also kind of a pain to fuel overwing.

Had a line "gal" pull a low lead truck in front of a twin star and start pulling the hose out. I never saw a pilot run so fast across the ramp hahaha :bounce:

Haha that would've been a bad day! The ones I fly are the ones with Lycoming IO-360s. When I first started flying the aircraft and going places I told them it took avgas... They looked at me like "Uhhh... duh?" So I quit telling them, but I'm always cautious to make sure it's the good blue stuff they put in the plane.

Another story from a flight instructor at our school. He said while he was doing his flight training at our school he took one of our planes to DFW at night. When he sumped the tanks he got a good waft of Jet A. Turns out the FBO had put Jet A inadvertently into the Avgas truck! Needless to say, they drove back to school in a rental car and the plane had to be defueled and the aircraft's whole fuel system cleaned/purged.

Haha that would've been a bad day! The ones I fly are the ones with Lycoming IO-360s. When I first started flying the aircraft and going places I told them it took avgas... They looked at me like "Uhhh... duh?" So I quit telling them, but I'm always cautious to make sure it's the good blue stuff they put in the plane.

Another story from a flight instructor at our school. He said while he was doing his flight training at our school he took one of our planes to DFW at night. When he sumped the tanks he got a good waft of Jet A. Turns out the FBO had put Jet A inadvertently into the Avgas truck! Needless to say, they drove back to school in a rental car and the plane had to be defueled and the aircraft's whole fuel system cleaned/purged.

How the HECK do you inadvertently put jet into an avgas truck?!? That obviously took some real talent there haha

How the HECK do you inadvertently put jet into an avgas truck?!? That obviously took some real talent there haha

It really does take talent. The connections (at least on the trucks I worked with) to refill the truck are completely different. The jet trucks have single point hook ups and the LL trucks had much smaller hoses with an attachment similar to a single point. Kind of like a fire hose almost.

It really does take talent. The connections (at least on the trucks I worked with) to refill the truck are completely different. The jet trucks have single point hook ups and the LL trucks had much smaller hoses with an attachment similar to a single point. Kind of like a fire hose almost.

That's how it is everywhere. Different connections, hose size, and different systems between jet and LL. The only way I can see someone doing this is taking a bucket and scooping the fuel from the tanker truck and dumping it into the wrong refueler haha :D

Back