Fueling: Tips and Tricks

atracnitrix

PODUNK
CALLING ALL LINEMEN: I've worked the line for about 3 years now fueling airlines, transients, and everything else. I've learned my fair share of tricks to fuel overwing (and sometimes underwing) a heck of a lot faster. Share what you guys know! I know a lot of line guys that would appreciate the knowledge!

If you are overwing fueling a crappy old Hawker in a driving rainstorm/snowstorm, and the girl in the front office keeps trying to chit chat with you on the radio, stop fueling, go inside and kill her, and then continue fueling.

ok don't do that, but I wanted to do it.....

Suck it up. Spit the excess. Get it in the hole. Enjoy the automation. :smoke:

automatic.jpg

-Westwind: Learn how to position your arm so you can hold the door up while hooking up.
-DA-40: Just go slow
-MU-2: Please boneyard this fleet
-Ciation I/II/Bravo/Encore (W/O Single Point): Nozzle straight down to avoid spit.
-Lear 24/25/35: Find the perfect rate to prevent air bubbles, usually just about 3/4 with our equipment.
-C-150: tip toe overwing waterfall :)
-Bell 430: Never look away, and if you do, well, make sure you have a firm grip.
-EC-135/145: get the straight nozzle

MD500.....you will probably get a face full of jet A unless you are super careful

Here's a tip most busy line guys probably already know, but the new line guy or owner/operator might not think of until it's too late: don't wear belts with exposed metal buckles if you'll be fueling over-wing. If you end up leaning you gut against the airplane for stability or reach it's a good way to scratch the heck out of the paint.

Have your coworker chit chat and distract the owner after you accidentally spray 100LL all over his Baron.

Dont mistake that kid walking to a Beech Duke as a lineman... Just ask nicely and I will be glad to help, then I will climb into the Duke and fly away.

Here is a new one that I recently discovered...
When you fuel a CRJ, and a valve is stuck or the high level is on, fuel the thing in defuel.

Here is a new one that I recently discovered...
When you fuel a CRJ, and a valve is stuck or the high level is on, fuel the thing in defuel.

Very interesting. I never thought of that.

I'm curious as to how you figured that out?

CRJs sucked big time to fuel. Nothing like the 150 pound roll up.

This post brought to you by beta from my iPhone.

If you have a wide cap, after the tank is 1/2 full aim it to spin the fuel inside. It makes the center of the fueling area a bit lower so you can keep the fuel full on for closer to full. Speeds it up a little, not a ton. If it's raining, keep the nozzle as far in as you can and listen for when the fuel starts to hit the nozzle then slowly raise it up and you'll be able to tell when you're within a few gallons of absolutely full. If you have a jet with a gauge on the wing and the fuel control down low, learn how many pounds per second you can put on, then count. Otherwise, a second person really helps.

Back