FSS told me ATC can't see FP remarks section

Matt777

Is it true that the controllers don't get to see the remarks in my flight plan that say, " Practice approaches"? It seems to be the case since (if I remember correctly) it's always news to Seattle App when I advise them of our app request for practice approaches.

What would be the point of the remarks section if only FSS sees it and not the controllers?

Does ATC get to see the remarks?

I think so, because in one area I've flown they have codes for approach requests, for example AVM would be Albany VOR Missed Approach.

Is it true that the controllers don't get to see the remarks in my flight plan that say, " Practice approaches"? It seems to be the case since (if I remember correctly) it's always news to Seattle App when I advise them of our app request for practice approaches.

What would be the point of the remarks section if only FSS sees it and not the controllers?

Does ATC get to see the remarks?

The computer generated strip will have the first few words of the remarks, however if we type a simple command into our flight data computer (FDIO) we will be able to retrieve the whole message. This is rarely done though. Speaking of the remarks section, why do some pilots feel the need to add things like cell numbers or the fact that they have three golden retrievers on board? You're just asking for us to joke with you about that type of info when you put it in there:D

HD

The computer generated strip will have the first few words of the remarks, however if we type a simple command into our flight data computer (FDIO) we will be able to retrieve the whole message. This is rarely done though. Speaking of the remarks section, why do some pilots feel the need to add things like cell numbers or the fact that they have three golden retrievers on board? You're just asking for us to joke with you about that type of info when you put it in there:D

HD

Oh I'm glad to hear that! So how many characters max show up on your screen without you typing in the command?
Would this fit? "OLM GPS17, TIW GPS35 Circle, PWT ILS"

One time I called the Seattle FSS to open a VFR flight plan I had filed on DUATS and the briefer asked me for my cell phone number. I tell him that my cell phone number is submitted everytime I file on DUATS and he says that even though it is on DUATS in the contact info/phone section it is not submitted to the FSS. How dumb is that?

HD

The cell number thing seems a bit dumb, as there is a separate area to enter the pilot's phone number on the FP form (just enter your cell number in there, not your home phone). But pilots list dogs/animals on board for search and rescue purposes so there is a record of them being on board (as they can't be included in the "number aboard" section) in the event of an accident. And also so your OM doesn't think you're stoned when you tell him you just heard dogs barking over the radio.

ARTCC's see the remarks. in fact, we were required to "read" them and acknowledge every one of them. i usually just clicked on the remarks and didn't read it. it gets old reading "NRP" in the remarks.

Towers see only the first 10 characters or so. in the tower format "OLM GPS17, TIW GPS35 Circle, PWT ILS" will most likely show up as:
OLM GPS17, TI ***. if it looks to be something of importance it takes a simple "FR N12345" command to get the full remarks.

Approach controls...forget it. they don't use strips and definitely don't read them. LOL. :sarcasm:

on a side note: controllers don't really care that Joe Smith is PIC and that his info is on file with Jet Aviation and his cell number is 808-555-1234. save that for the honeys at the bar. they might care.

ARTCC's see the remarks. in fact, we were required to "read" them and acknowledge every one of them. i usually just clicked on the remarks and didn't read it. it gets old reading "NRP" in the remarks.

Towers see only the first 10 characters or so. in the tower format "OLM GPS17, TIW GPS35 Circle, PWT ILS" will most likely show up as:
OLM GPS17, TI ***. if it looks to be something of importance it takes a simple "FP N12345" command to get the full remarks.

Approach controls...forget it. they don't use strips and definitely don't read them. LOL. :sarcasm:

on a side note: controllers don't really care that Joe Smith is PIC and that his info is on file with Jet Aviation and his cell number is 808-555-1234. save that for the honeys at the bar. they might care.

So if you saw, "OLM GPS17, TI " that would prompt you to type in the code and see the whole message?

On DUATS I do have my cell number in the normal phone number area- I don't have my home number anywhere. The FSS briefer told me that they don't receive the normal phone number info when filed through DUATS, which is really strange. I did like the joke though~

When I was learning approach, if I saw *** in the remarks, I was taught to find out what the full remarks were. My ANG base is a big practice approach airport (hell, that's 40% of our traffic count.

definitely. that's what it's for. but that's from a tower perspective. the one that this remark is intended for is approach, and those guys don't ever check the remarks.

LOL. i try.
Sounds like a local thing - or an individual controller thing. I did an IFR training flight Saturday. Instead of going into detail, we just put "training flight" in the remarks. After being handed off and checking in with Denver Departure, first question from the controller was was, "what would you like to do first?"

it really depends on the facility, some will put it into the data block, others do stip marking....but yes, we can see the remarks.....it wouldnt hurt to still re-request the approaches you want

Dont always count on controllers getting the remarks. Sometimes ATC/TMU will add to the remarks with things like FRC(full route clearance), or other reroute info which would take up the full 10 letter limit on the terminal strips.

With the computing power available these days (and considering a character is like 1 byte or so in a computer), why on EARTH do we still abbreviate stuff like METARs TAFs and flight plans?

I know I know we're all used to it so we understand it but, I mean, c'mon!

With the computing power available these days (and considering a character is like 1 byte or so in a computer), why on EARTH do we still abbreviate stuff like METARs TAFs and flight plans?

I don't know about ACARS, but the screen on my cell phone/GPS unit is pretty darn small and if I had a decoded METAR on it it would take up nearly the whole screen; I can keep the moving map page open and still get a METAR if it's abbreviated. I would guess that the screens on the ACARS/FMS units in airliners are similar. Also, an abbreviated METAR can fit in the 160 character limit of a text message, so using one of the many text-message weather services you can instantly pull the weather for any airport with an observation station.

It's shorthand and takes up less space and computing power.

After a while, I actually found it easier and faster to read the METAR than the "decoded" text.

Back