FSS told me ATC can't see FP remarks section

It's shorthand and takes up less space and computing power.

After a while, I actually found it easier and faster to read the METAR than the "decoded" text.

I know.... I addressed *both* of your points in my little "rant".

Takes up less space? Computers have terabyte drives and gigahertz processors, gigabytes of RAM, etc...
A character takes up 2 bytes of memory; up to 4 to 8 for 32- and 64-bit systems. A string with 1000 characters (count the # of characters in a METAR and get back to me) takes up 2000 bytes, potentially.

1 Byte = 8 Bits
1 Kilobyte = 1024 Bytes
Megabyte = 1024 Kilobytes = 1024^2 Bytes
Gigabyte = 1024 Megabytes = 1024^3 Bytes
Terabyte = 1024 Gigabytes = 1024^4 Bytes

So, if a string takes up 2 KB..... and we have storage that can handle 1 KB to the power of 4..... it's not like we're hurting for storage. It also won't take too long to process that 2 KB of text. Your computer probably connects to the internet at over 600 kbits/sec, or about 75 kbytes/sec and finally, 76,800 bytes/sec. That is a very conservative speed of internet. At that speed it would take approximately .03 seconds to send your character string across the net.

I submit to you that the computing power required to submit a non-shorthand METAR is not an issue.

I agree, but I have to say I prefer encoded. It's just easier for me to gather information very quickly. It's like my brain recognizes the short codes more efficiently than reading a decoded version. For instance, OVC100 is easier for me than "10,000 ft overcast." Maybe it helps that I also use the codes to shorthand record ATIS/ASOS/AWOS broadcasts.

Cencal,

First of all, remember that ALL the data is stored. After a while those little kilobytes from stations worldwide will add up.

Secondly, it's not only a matter of storage, but transmission, sometimes by rudimentary connections. We may connect to the world using high speed, but there are still places that use connections slower than dial-up to get this critical information out to the world.

I don't know how fast CPDLC/SATCOM etc is, but imagine how much longer it would take you to get the wx for your destination (some 8 hours distant) if the whole thing was translated?

In terms of cost, may providers charge by the amount of data transmitted. If you check the wx for say 3 airports several times during a long flight, it'd really add up if you had your met reports decoded.

To each his own though...

As to abreviating the flight plans I would venture a guess and say because the Flight Data Input/Output system used by ATC is at best early '80's computing technology. It doesn't matter what computers today are capable of if the dinosaurs are still used. (Can you say green screen and no graphics?)

The computer generated strip will have the first few words of the remarks, however if we type a simple command into our flight data computer (FDIO) we will be able to retrieve the whole message. This is rarely done though. Speaking of the remarks section, why do some pilots feel the need to add things like cell numbers or the fact that they have three golden retrievers on board? You're just asking for us to joke with you about that type of info when you put it in there:D

HD

I worked at a facility that often had "Horses on Board" for the racetrack. Actually altered their ability to do anything quickly as they were carrying animals they didnt want to startle.

A certain regional likes to add This aircraft restricted operationally to 250 knots...of course all I see is this aircraft res...

My favorite is when you get a strip on a short hop well inside the US and the remark is restricted to US territories...I know they probably have to include that, but its hard to resist asking them if they can take a vector to YYZ for spacing.

My two "favorite" remarks to see on the flight strips, ICAO or NORDO.

What is the point of ICAO in the remarks section? I see it all the damn time, and have no idea where it comes from, or what it's supposed to mean, besides referring to the international organization.

What is the point of ICAO in the remarks section? I see it all the damn time, and have no idea where it comes from, or what it's supposed to mean, besides referring to the international organization.

At least at SCK when we get an ICAO it means we are getting an international student about 90% of the time, otherwise it is an international flight. But when I see both on the flight strip, i.e. (clear weather) ICAO IFR PRAC. I take a break because it is the JAL pilots, and I just can't understand Japanese.

Back